+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland Spouse Sponsorship. Spouse in Canada as visitor but wants to stay longer

dluhut

Oct 15, 2013
Hello Immigration Experts,

I have a question here and hope to get an answer.

A quick story of our situation.

I'm a Canadian citizen (not born in Canada) and I met my wife via online. Been dating and officially married. We had our cultural marriage (in my home country - Indonesia), legal marriage (civil marriage in Canada) and church wedding (in China). Before we were married, my wife came to Canada and stayed for 5 months (she was given 10 years multiple entry visa), and shortly after (a little over a month) came back to Canada again for our civil marriage, which then she went back to China. I sent our sponsorship application back in Feb 2015. At that time, wife was in China as outland application is faster than inland. Wife had also received email from CIC notifying her that her application has been received and sent to Hong Kong. Currently, the status of her application is 'In Process' when checked online.

Wife came to Canada (1st week of July 2015) to reunite with me as a visitor visa. We were hoping that before her 6 months time stay in Canada is up, she'd received an update from CIC in HongKong...i.e. an interview or her PR approval.

Preparing for the worst case scenario where she didn't get any update from CIC, what would be the best and legal way for her to stay in Canada until she received a reply/update from CIC with regards to her outland PR sponsorship? As currently she's pregnant and that we try to save on the air ticket.

kangamoose

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2015
AOR Received.
02/09/2015
File Transfer...
AOR2 06/10/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11/07/2015
Passport Req..
DM 10/02/2016 Passport Copy Request 11/02/2016
LANDED..........
03/03/2016
Best way would be for her to apply for a visitor extension before her current visitor status expires.

dluhut

Oct 15, 2013
Thanks for the reply!

May I know what's the form for extension? And if she was to ask the reason for extension, would saying that she wanted to stay with me until her PR application is finalized, would that cause a problem?

Lastly, would going to the states and come back (either same day or a few days) helped by 'extending' her stay in Canada?

kangamoose

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2015
AOR Received.
02/09/2015
File Transfer...
AOR2 06/10/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11/07/2015
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
03/03/2016
This is the link to the application package:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend/visa.asp

Its fairly simple to fill out, many people here can help if you get stuck on anything :)

I wouldn't recommend crossing the border to extend your wifes stay, CBSA tend to frown upon that sort of thing and you may experience some problems.

Once the application for extension is sent off she can remain in Canada until a decision is reached. At the moment its taking almost 4 months, so if you are far enough along in the sponsorship process she may get PR beforehand!

dluhut

Oct 15, 2013
kangamoose said:

Its fairly simple to fill out, many people here can help if you get stuck on anything :)

I wouldn't recommend crossing the border to extend your wifes stay, CBSA tend to frown upon that sort of thing and you may experience some problems.

Once the application for extension is sent off she can remain in Canada until a decision is reached. At the moment its taking almost 4 months, so if you are far enough along in the sponsorship process she may get PR beforehand!
Thanks for your reply! Will definitely go this route. And hopefully, we can hear the result of her outland PR.

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
Form IMM5409 requested Feb 20, 2016
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
SA- Dec 10, 2015 ** DM- March 14, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Rec'd March 18, 2016
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
kangamoose said:

Kangamoose, is it really taking 4 months for an extension application? I will be applying for an extension in December while I wait for my PR. I have a return ticket for January that I was hoping to extend so not to lose it, but if it is taking that long maybe I will just let it go and not worry about it. Wow, 4 months is crazy! :eek: LOL

kangamoose

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2015
AOR Received.
02/09/2015
File Transfer...
AOR2 06/10/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11/07/2015
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
03/03/2016
Yeah 111 days it's taking, crazy right! Once you apply you have implied status you can stay until a decision is made, but if you leave beforehand you loose that... Your PR might be granted before you hear back haha

dluhut said:
Thanks for your reply! Will definitely go this route. And hopefully, we can hear the result of her outland PR.
No problems good luck :)

TracyCa64

Aug 28, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2, 2015
Doc's Request.
Form IMM5409 requested Feb 20, 2016
AOR Received.
Nov 25, 2015
File Transfer...
SA- Dec 10, 2015 ** DM- March 14, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sept 9, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Rec'd March 18, 2016
LANDED..........
April 16, 2016
kangamoose said:
Yeah 111 days it's taking, crazy right! Once you apply you have implied status you can stay until a decision is made, but if you leave beforehand you loose that... Your PR might be granted before you hear back haha
That would be amazing if I received my PR that soon. ;D
Yeah, I am sticking around. I was just in California for a 7 week trip this past Summer. My Visitor status was up and I knew when I got back I would apply for PR. I had already been in Canada previously for 13 months. The Border agent was really cool on my way back into Canada. I even got my very own Visitor Record. LOL My first one!
It was hilarious too. He kept telling me all the things I needed to do, like my Medical and FBI check and my answer was, Yep, I already did that or had that. He was impressed and told me that I was very organized. He told me it takes over 2 years to get PR, but I think he was talking about Inland. I felt very knowledgeable and I owe it all to this Forum and all the members like you Kangamoose who have always been so helpful. I will always appreciate and be grateful for everyone here. ;D ;D

kangamoose

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2015
AOR Received.
02/09/2015
File Transfer...
AOR2 06/10/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11/07/2015
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
03/03/2016
Thats seven months, totally possible for Ottawa!

Yeah this forum is pretty amazing for info when your getting it all together. After my partner and I decided we needed to get our butts into gear and apply I was so lost and overwhelmed with the process, finding this forum really made it all less daunting.

I'm glad I could help you out :)

California would be nice to visit now that its getting cold haha.