+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[Outland Spousal Sponsorship] Please help!!!! Doubts regarding my wife's(PA) supporting documents

sree2

Star Member
Jun 9, 2014
Hello All,

I have a few doubts regarding my wife's supporting documents specifically Birth certificate from India.

1. In her birth certificate her surname is put as initial and not expanded. Would this be a problem? Should we get it expanded?
  2. Again in her BC, her father's given name is only provided and is spelled wrong. We are thinking of providing an name difference affidavit but in all her father's ID old address is provided, would this be a problem? Recent address is provided in Central Government of India's Gas connection information and bills...would this suffice?
  3. In her BC, her Mother's given name is provided and in all of mother's ID only given name is printed and again address is old.
Please let me know what are my options? There should be someone who was in the same boat as me now.

Thanks in advance to all who can help.. :)

Sree

Synoptic

Jan 20, 2018
Hello All,

I have a few doubts regarding my wife's supporting documents specifically Birth certificate from India.

1. In her birth certificate her surname is put as initial and not expanded. Would this be a problem? Should we get it expanded?
  2. Again in her BC, her father's given name is only provided and is spelled wrong. We are thinking of providing an name difference affidavit but in all her father's ID old address is provided, would this be a problem? Recent address is provided in Central Government of India's Gas connection information and bills...would this suffice?
  3. In her BC, her Mother's given name is provided and in all of mother's ID only given name is printed and again address is old.
Please let me know what are my options? There should be someone who was in the same boat as me now.

Sree
Hi. I'm not too knowledgeable about your specific situation, but if there are any differences in your documents (especially name), I would suggest that you get them organized/corrected/fixed before you send the spousal application. Try contacting whichever government agency in India deals with BCs and see the requirements to make the correction.

It's always better to keep everything that you'll submit consistent to make the VO's job easier. They will scrutinize the application more if there are variances.

SGrewal99

Star Member
Sep 28, 2018
Hello All,

Sree
Does she have her grade 10 certificate? It also has the parents name. This certificate holds more weight than a birth certificate. Her bio page at the end of her passport also has her parents name. No need to stress about not having a last name. It is common in India. In our case the birth was registered late so we also sent the photocopy of adhar card Adhar card and voter card are great national id's. it is more common in india to have only a given name. Even when you fill out the application it mentions to put your given name under the family name. Same when you fill out the parents information. If no family name mentioned write given name in family name. We used the names in the passports for our PA's parent's. They did not have a surname. Visa already issued. Don't stress yourself.

Last edited: