+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland Spousal Sponsorship - Common Law Proof of Relationship

ruanp28

Feb 24, 2016
Hi guys,

We are finally in the stages of compiling our application for my permanent residency after saving enough to keep ourselves afloat for the first few months upon arriving.

Quick background - we both live outside of Canada (fiancee is Canadian by descent) and she is sponsoring me for PR. Once PR is approved we are packing our bags and making the leap. So in the following weeks I am probably going to bite all my nails off, but I think it will be worth it.

Right now, we are in the "proof of relationship" section and the dreaded "proof of sponsor's intent to return to Canada" (even though it will be her first time moving to Canada as well).

Anyway, this is what we have so far for proof of relationship and I was just wondering whether we are on the right track:

1. We provide a one-page cover letter (even though sometimes frowned upon) outlining everything that we intend on providing as proof, how we constructed our relationship timeline and how its linked to the attached photos.

2. We will write an outline of our relationship (from when we met in 2012 until now) - this is the part we are struggling with. How long should this roughly be? We intend on linking all our photos (numbered) into this timeline. At the moment I am on 5+ pages, and I am afraid of making it too long and boring.

3. The 20 photos that are numbered and linked to the outline above.

4. Other documentary proof as follows: Lease agreement since 2014, shared savings account, my fiancee as beneficiary on my life insurance policy, same addresses on our bills and bank statements as well as a declaration of common-law partnership (not sure what the max amount is for all these documents?)

5. Chats and social media messages - since we live together, I am not too bothered about this section since my fiancee does not have Facebook (which we cannot be judged for). I will include some Skype discussions but I assume this section is more for people who live separately.

6. Support letters from friends and family (I will have one notarized from my parents, also indicating that they will provide additional financial support; and one notarized from my fiancee's twin sister) thus two will be notarized. The rest will be support letters from friends/family that are not notarized - again, not sure what the number of letters should be?

So I am really hoping we have the proof of relationship section under the belt. I honestly do not have thousands of pages to send to CIC. Any help or an average number of documents on the above-mentioned would be appreciated. Once we dive into proof of intent, I will also like to reach out in the hope of finding some answers.

We have read hundreds of posts on here, feels like information overload... thanks in advance!

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Hi guys,

We are finally in the stages of compiling our application for my permanent residency after saving enough to keep ourselves afloat for the first few months upon arriving.

Quick background - we both live outside of Canada (fiancee is Canadian by descent) and she is sponsoring me for PR. Once PR is approved we are packing our bags and making the leap. So in the following weeks I am probably going to bite all my nails off, but I think it will be worth it.

Right now, we are in the "proof of relationship" section and the dreaded "proof of sponsor's intent to return to Canada" (even though it will be her first time moving to Canada as well).

Anyway, this is what we have so far for proof of relationship and I was just wondering whether we are on the right track:

1. We provide a one-page cover letter (even though sometimes frowned upon) outlining everything that we intend on providing as proof, how we constructed our relationship timeline and how its linked to the attached photos.

2. We will write an outline of our relationship (from when we met in 2012 until now) - this is the part we are struggling with. How long should this roughly be? We intend on linking all our photos (numbered) into this timeline. At the moment I am on 5+ pages, and I am afraid of making it too long and boring.

4. Other documentary proof as follows: Lease agreement since 2014, shared savings account, my fiancee as beneficiary on my life insurance policy, same addresses on our bills and bank statements as well as a declaration of common-law partnership (not sure what the max amount is for all these documents?)

5. Chats and social media messages - since we live together, I am not too bothered about this section since my fiancee does not have Facebook (which we cannot be judged for). I will include some Skype discussions but I assume this section is more for people who live separately.

6. Support letters from friends and family (I will have one notarized from my parents, also indicating that they will provide additional financial support; and one notarized from my fiancee's twin sister) thus two will be notarized. The rest will be support letters from friends/family that are not notarized - again, not sure what the number of letters should be?

So I am really hoping we have the proof of relationship section under the belt. I honestly do not have thousands of pages to send to CIC. Any help or an average number of documents on the above-mentioned would be appreciated. Once we dive into proof of intent, I will also like to reach out in the hope of finding some answers.

We have read hundreds of posts on here, feels like information overload... thanks in advance!
Sounds like you have it nailed.

I would keep your 'love story' to probably 3 - 4 pages.

For each photo, I would add when taken, who is in the photos by name, where and when taken. Ideally photos should be of the both of you together (better yet with friends who you can name and who provided letters), if on holiday, in an identifiable location (if it was a holiday in Greece, the background should look 'Greek'!).

It seems pretty typical that the people with the most proof, well organised and the least to worry about are those who do worry and agonise the most!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

1. The cover letter isn't frowned upon. It just isn't necessary.

2. 5 pages is way too long, especially since it isn't actually a required document. There is actually a question on IMM5532 that asks if you want to mention anything about the relationship that wasn't covered in the application. I would answer there and keep it short and sweet.

3. No need to link photos.

4. If you are including things like bills and statements, pick one every 3-4 months. They don't need to see the whole statement, so just include the address page.

5. Don't include any. The checklist is pretty clear that such proofs are only required for couples living apart.

6. They don't need to be notarized. Just include a few from family/close friends. Have the letters mention that you've discussed your intent to return to Canada.

IRCC doesn't want thousands of pages. People used to send in boxes with thousands of pages of chats, every single bill/receipt/statement and hundreds of pictures. IRCC would just end up shredding all of the extra stuff without even looking at it. They added specific limits/requirements to proofs to stop that.

ruanp28

Feb 24, 2016
Wow thanks for all the replies guys, its really nice to know that there is such a great community here. I thought that common-law requires two notarized letters (statutory declarations), will revisit the rules.

I was thinking too much proof rather than too little will be better, but it makes sense. I would rather keep the chats etc. as "reserves" in case CIC asks for additional proof.

Thanks for the input :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Wow thanks for all the replies guys, its really nice to know that there is such a great community here. I thought that common-law requires two notarized letters (statutory declarations), will revisit the rules.

I was thinking too much proof rather than too little will be better, but it makes sense. I would rather keep the chats etc. as "reserves" in case CIC asks for additional proof.

Thanks for the input :)
The notarized letters were an old requirement, so if you are seeing that in any of your documents, they are way out of date.