+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445
Oct 7, 2026
1
0
Hi everyone,

I’m preparing an outland spousal sponsorship application as the principal applicant, and my wife is the sponsor. She is a Canadian permanent resident.

I have a few questions about completing the current forms, particularly regarding her address, employment and travel history. I’d really appreciate input from anyone who has submitted an application recently, especially in 2025 or 2026.

1. Sponsor’s address – IMM 5406​

My wife currently lives and rents in Victoria, BC while attending school. Her family home is in Penticton, BC.

During some school breaks, she goes back to Penticton for around a week and may work a few casual shifts there. She does not move back to Penticton or live there for an extended period. Her driver's licence still has the Penticton family-home address.

For IMM 5406 – Spouse → Present address, I am thinking of putting her Victoria rental address, since that is where she currently lives.

Does that sound correct?

2. Sponsor’s mailing/residential address – IMM 1344​

For IMM 1344, I’m unsure about the distinction between mailing and residential address.

I was considering:

  • Mailing address: Penticton family-home address
  • Residential address: Victoria rental address
The reason for the different addresses would simply be that Victoria is where she currently lives for school, while the Penticton address is the family home where she can receive mail.

Would this be appropriate, or should both addresses be Victoria?

3. Address & employment history – IMM 5532​


For the address history, I’m thinking of listing her actual residential history, with Victoria as her current residence and Penticton family home as a separate address with no gaps.

For employment history, she has had employment/casual work in Penticton even though her current residence is Victoria.

My understanding is that the employment history should reflect the actual employer and dates, so it is okay for the employment location to be Penticton while her residential address is Victoria.

Would you agree?

I’m also considering adding a short Letter of Explanation explaining that she lives in Victoria while attending school, occasionally visits her family home in Penticton during school breaks, and may work casual shifts there.

4. IMM 5562 – Section B: Sponsor's travel history​

I also have a question about IMM 5562 – Supplementary Information: Your Travels, Section B (Spouse/Common-Law Partner).

My wife is the sponsor, and she travels between Canada and Nepal fairly often.

I’ve found older discussions saying that when the spouse/common-law partner is the sponsor, their travel history may not need to be entered in Section B. However, most of the information I found is from 2022–2024, so I’m not sure whether the requirements or interpretation have changed.

For anyone who submitted an outland spousal sponsorship application in 2025 or 2026:

  • Did you leave Section B blank/N/A when the spouse was the sponsor?
  • Or did you include the sponsor’s travel history anyway?
  • If you left it blank, was the application accepted without any issue?
I’m mainly looking for recent application experience, since some of the older discussions may no longer reflect the current forms/process.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can share their experience or point me toward the current IRCC instructions.