+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland spousal sponsorhip with or without lawyer

trsf01

Feb 20, 2020
Hello all,

I am a Canadian PR living in Canada with my wife who is on visit visa. My wife and I both are India passport holders. I am planning to apply for my wife's PR via spousal sponsorship as an outland application, since my wife might have to travel outside Canada in the coming year.

I checked on this forum and most people who have applied by themselves seem to have got PR in 6-7 months, whereas when I contacted a law firm they said 12 months and best case 9 months. They said they sent the application to Australia office for processing. I just wanted to understand why most who apply themselves seem to be able to get PR in 6-7 months, does CIC have faster processing for self applications online vs application via australia (lawyer/agent). Please advise as I am very confused.

My second question is about extending my wife's stay here since she is on visit visa. Her 6 months will finish in about 4.5 months; considering the COVID situation we are hoping she can extend her stay, if yes, is it an easy process? PLease advice.

Thanks, appreciate your help and your time!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Most people here in the forum apply themselves because they did not want to waste money on consultants / lawyers who potentiially could screw up their application.

You can look at how to extend her stay in the IRCC website. You still have much time and don't apply too early.

Reactions: Scloud97 and trsf01

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello all,

I am a Canadian PR living in Canada with my wife who is on visit visa. My wife and I both are India passport holders. I am planning to apply for my wife's PR via spousal sponsorship as an outland application, since my wife might have to travel outside Canada in the coming year.

I checked on this forum and most people who have applied by themselves seem to have got PR in 6-7 months, whereas when I contacted a law firm they said 12 months and best case 9 months. They said they sent the application to Australia office for processing. I just wanted to understand why most who apply themselves seem to be able to get PR in 6-7 months, does CIC have faster processing for self applications online vs application via australia (lawyer/agent). Please advise as I am very confused.

My second question is about extending my wife's stay here since she is on visit visa. Her 6 months will finish in about 4.5 months; considering the COVID situation we are hoping she can extend her stay, if yes, is it an easy process? PLease advice.

Thanks, appreciate your help and your time!
The large majority of Indians don't get approved in 6-7 months.

Reactions: trsf01

trsf01

Feb 20, 2020
Hello all,

While I am trying to apply for sponsorship, it seems to give two options for Spouse:

- Family Class
- Spouse or Common-Law Partner

Seems like the latter is for spouses who live inside Canada but since I am applying Outland while my spouse is living IN Canada, I am little confused which category this will fall under, please advice if you happen to know, thanks!

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
If you are applying outside of Canada it is a Family Class application. It doesn't matter where your spouse is physically during the process. A Family Class application retains the right to appeal in case an application is refused, while an In-Canada application provides an opportunity for the spouse to legally work in Canada during the process (which Family class does not), but there is no possibility of appealing a refusal. If you haven't filed the application yet, you might consider which of the two best suits your situation (does your spouse need to work in Canada while waiting?) before you decide.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
Most people here in the forum apply themselves because they did not want to waste money on consultants / lawyers who potentiially could screw up their application.

You can look at how to extend her stay in the IRCC website. You still have much time and don't apply too early.
Wow, very nice steaky. Do you also fix your own teeth because a hygienist or dentist might screw up your treatment? Of fix your own car because a mechanic might take advantage of you? Do you represent yourself in court - obviously lawyers can absolutely not be trusted? I'm sorry if you had a bad experience with a consultant or lawyer, but I take pride and responsibility in my work and save many, many more applications than I've ever 'screwed up'

AutumnSkies

May 31, 2019
Wow, very nice steaky. Do you also fix your own teeth because a hygienist or dentist might screw up your treatment? Of fix your own car because a mechanic might take advantage of you? Do you represent yourself in court - obviously lawyers can absolutely not be trusted? I'm sorry if you had a bad experience with a consultant or lawyer, but I take pride and responsibility in my work and save many, many more applications than I've ever 'screwed up'
I think it was more meant as a ‘why hire a lawyer if you can do it yourself’ comment, though it came across as harsh. Sometimes it’s better to have a lawyer with particularly complicated cases, but when it’s fairly straightforward you might as well do the work yourself (like my husband and I and many others did) to save yourself some money.

There are cases where lawyers have unfortunately made some pretty dire mistakes but naturally that doesn’t apply to all lawyers. It’s up to the each individual‘s discretion whether they want to make use of one or not.

Nina12

Champion Member
Nov 1, 2017
She got my application date wrong no
Medicals and only biometrics and it’s been
More then two years and I’m sick and tured

Nina12

Champion Member
Nov 1, 2017
According to them
I am june 14
2019 application and according to me
I am jan 2019 application.no updates since nov

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
My last two cents worth. Nina12 - you apparently got yourself incompetent representation and I'm sorry for your trouble. I once had a mechanic that recommended unnecessary repairs. Have I stopped taking my car to any mechanic? Well, no that would be an over-reaction. I once had a dentist that put in a filling that popped out after 3 months. Have I stopped going to the dentist? No, I found one I felt confidence in. I could go on and on listing various professionals who have 'done me wrong', but I still need those services. So I go and find a trustworthy professional to do the work. Immigration is tricky. The details are critical. Definitions don't match their common meanings in English - family member, for example. Sometimes you need the help of an expert.

drondon07

Jan 18, 2020
I have a lawyer and every time they do something they provide a scan copy of the document or if they send a request, they share the email that was sent and when they get a respond, they send us the exact answer with screenshots. I feel very confident with our lawyers, and my husband already knew them through some family members. We still compared before choosing an attorney and did our own due diligence. I’m a very anxious person, so I preferred to have support to do our application.