+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland Sponsorship Increased Processing Times?

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
I don't know if it's just me, but I think outland sponsorship processing times have increased from 12 months to 19 months. Saw it in the IRCC's processing times page. Looks like we're in for an even longer wait. :(

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html
Yes it changed, it doesn't necessarily apply to you though. But you have to understand why it changed. Read these:
1- https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1619&top=3
2-
https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=535&top=3
3- https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=068&top=3

Reactions: drummerlover33

valvlad

Feb 27, 2021
does it apply to exsisting application or new? or both? i feel like we're under this already lol

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My guess is that this changes nothing - the 12 months had been completely off since basically the start of COVID. The distinction is that at start of COVID, they stopped updating the timeframes at all, they just left the '12 months' number up on the website.

BUT: this 'timeframe' is a backward looking number, where basically they take the oldest period when they've completed 80% of files. As they catch up and clear the backlog, the estimated timeframe SHOULD fall, possibly rather quickly.

In other words: those applying now should have some optimism that their expected timeframe should be closer to 12 months than 19 months.

And the finer detail is that a LOT of files will get done in less than 12 months, but the ones that take longer - and what proportion of the take longer - will really depend on a lot of other things that are impossible to predict.

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
My guess is that this changes nothing - the 12 months had been completely off since basically the start of COVID. The distinction is that at start of COVID, they stopped updating the timeframes at all, they just left the '12 months' number up on the website.

BUT: this 'timeframe' is a backward looking number, where basically they take the oldest period when they've completed 80% of files. As they catch up and clear the backlog, the estimated timeframe SHOULD fall, possibly rather quickly.

In other words: those applying now should have some optimism that their expected timeframe should be closer to 12 months than 19 months.

And the finer detail is that a LOT of files will get done in less than 12 months, but the ones that take longer - and what proportion of the take longer - will really depend on a lot of other things that are impossible to predict.
Thanks for putting this into words, I've been seeing many people around the forum panicking about this change or the 27 months on the citizenship side.

Like you said, we're still not completely out of the COVID phase, and these numbers make sense when you consider that some applications started right before the pandemic (which was 24 months ago).

Plus, IRCC is processing both new and old applications at the same time. So you'll find 2019 applications just finishing as well as applications from 2021 finishing. It's a big wave and I hope it'll be over soon.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for putting this into words, I've been seeing many people around the forum panicking about this change or the 27 months on the citizenship side.
To be fair, I think the situation on the citizenship side has been terrible, just a complete clustfart, and an embarrassment. I mean there the delays just built up for even just getting the ceremonies etc.

Reactions: DimT44

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
To be fair, I think the situation on the citizenship side has been terrible, just a complete clustfart, and an embarrassment. I mean there the delays just built up for even just getting the ceremonies etc.
I was reading through a recent ATIP request about citizenship, and apparently it takes 3x more time and more people to do online ceremonies compared to in person ones. That's crazy!

Reactions: armoured

Erickvls

Mar 7, 2022
I don’t know how long family sponsorship will take, but I am applying to Closed work permit for me and my wife (open work permit) to Quebec, I am able to GSI, and my biometrics were collected on fabrique 25th, so far, no answers. And in the website says 2 weeks for processing…

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I don’t know how long family sponsorship will take, but I am applying to Closed work permit for me and my wife (open work permit) to Quebec, I am able to GSI, and my biometrics were collected on fabrique 25th, so far, no answers. And in the website says 2 weeks for processing…
Your case and question is not related to family sponsorship. Post your question in the foreign worker's section.

valvlad

Feb 27, 2021
I emailed the other mp and within 2 days got an answer that they can help. signed the form and provided with all neccessary info. really hope this can finally be resolved aaaahh

valvlad

Feb 27, 2021
When you say 'other mp', what does that mean?
I, for some reason, contacted the Toronto MP but not in my constituency. She transfered me to the one under my address. My bad, i know:) But she was ready to help as well.
Do IRCC reply to MP faster?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I, for some reason, contacted the Toronto MP but not in my constituency. She transfered me to the one under my address. My bad, i know:) But she was ready to help as well.
Do IRCC reply to MP faster?
MPs have a separate system to ask questions, and usually get answers faster, yes. How fast? Wait and see, i think a week or two.

Reactions: valvlad