File Transfer...
29-4-2015
Med's Done....
5-2-2015
Passport Req..
In Process: 14-8-2015 DM: 15-12-2015
LANDED..........
21-12-2015
Hello! My Canadian fiance/common-law partner and I (US citizen) are filing for outland sponsorship. My question is: After I submit our package, am I able to move up to Canada with him (bringing proof of my submitted application to the border) while we wait for my application to pend?

If I can, is there anything I need to do in terms of change of address or something to make sure they send any appropriate forms to my address in Canada instead of the one in the states? Thanks!

MissRepresentation

Apr 11, 2014
Visa Office......
Paris
You can visit your fiance but never, EVER mention to border or customs agents thst you're 'moving' to Canada. In their eyes you are a visitor and only a visitor with no 'right' to move to Canada until you've got your PR.

And yes, you can update your address with CIC after you file the application. I think you can do that online.

gooh

Jul 20, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-3-2015
AOR Received.
23-4-2015
File Transfer...
29-4-2015
Med's Done....
5-2-2015
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
21-12-2015
Understood, would it be okay if I did move there though? All I have for moving are some clothes, books and misc (bathroom items/hair & skin items) I have no furniture, pets or large items of the like.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can certainly try. Keep in mind that you are only allowed to visit for six months. So if you want to stay longer, make sure you apply for an extension.

Try to take as little as possible with you that says "I'm moving" or you could end up with issues at the border. Taking 1 book is fine (people do this when they are on vacation). Taking 10 books or more may look a little funny. Best to leave the extra stuff in your home country with family/friends until you're actually allowed to move.

Kayaker

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-02-2014
AOR Received.
04-03-2014
Med's Done....
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2014
LANDED..........
11-10-2014
In CIC's eyes it is okay for you to live with your partner - but in CBSA's eyes, you cannot "live" in Canada and you most certainly cannot "move" to Canada.

Just make sure you avoid using the words "live" or "move" - say you're visiting your partner and staying with him/her. Tell them you are visiting for 6 months (having a return ticket if you are flying is not a bad idea - they may or may not ask to see it, but it's good to have one. You can get a fully refundable one way flight back, or you can buy a return ticket and not use the return portion.) and if they ask about your future plans, say that if you decide to stay longer, you will apply to have your visitor status extended.

Bringing your clothes and whatnot are fine, but if it's going to exceed a suitcase or two, leave stuff at home and/or have your family send you a parcel later on. When I arrived in March, the customs agent asked what was in my two suitcases - I truthfully enumerated the stuff I had - clothes, shoes, scarves, makeup, hair dryer, etc. He asked if any of it is staying in Canada - I said no, it's just personal items and they go with me. He also casually asked if I was going to do the "six months thing" - stay for 6 months, cross the border and come back for another 6 months - and I said I'd already applied for PR and I don't know how long that's going to take, so I'll later decide if I want to go back to Japan to wait the PR out or apply for an extension. They'll be satisfied if they feel that you know the rules and that you're not going to try to circumvent them or anything.

CIC on the other hand won't raise an eyebrow if you change your mailing address to Canada. You can do it after you're in Canada, through e-cas.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
generally, if you're visa exempt, and they can look your application status up in their system, they will be more lenient with your entry. it's always best to carry a copy of your lease/mortgage, recent paystubs from a us employer, and return trip details to prove your ties to the us, in case they ask. as stated by others, NEVER say "move" or "live". you are only allowed to "visit" until you get approved for pr.

andrewk

Aug 3, 2014
No issues with my wife and her son and 2 cats coming for 6 months. I crossed the border with them in case there were any issues. Mentioned visiting not moving, and all items were household items that would go back (then come back to Canada). They were aware she gave up her apartment but would go back and stay with family if need be.

Basically they made us wait in immigration 20-30 minutes, asked her about last time in Canada (never overstayed), looked up our application because they didn't want to see the mountain of paperwork we brought with us. Told us there were no issues, and they were allowed to come into Canada and we could apply for an extension from the comfort of our own home (their words). They were actually quite pleasant which surprised me, but they could tell we knew our stuff, had already paid all fees and had nothing to hide. I did still expect them to go through the car since it was pretty packed or at least look at cats rabies documents but no.

They did mention there could be more issues if we plan on crossing back and forth a lot which we don't. I suggest you travel together, bring all supporting documents. I had brought paystubs to prove I could support them, she had her storage locker contract where her non household goods are being held ect. They did not look at any of this but going up to the desk with file folders is better then going up asking how much longer we have to wait. There were some irritated people there who had been there less time then us. You never know how they are going to act but you do know that you are not doing anything wrong by visiting for 6 months. I told them we are planning on 6 months and hoping for longer, and she mentioned that was a good approach and to just file for an extension online and there should be no issues since your immigration application has been submitted.

amyt1984

Sep 11, 2014
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-05-2014
AOR Received.
27-05-2014
File Transfer...
10-09-2014
Med's Done....
upfront
Our application is in progress, but I am planning on heading to Canada at New Year on a visitors visa (for 6 months) regardless. My boyfriend, who is sponsoring me, will be travelling back with me and we were hoping to take advantage of his luggage allowance and take as much of my stuff with us as possible.

It never crossed my mind that they might question my three or 4 suitcases? are they going to believe that it is all going back home (to the UK) with me?

???

hopefulpoet

May 11, 2014
I'm a Canadian citizen, and my husband is a U.S. citizen. I moved up here to Canada with my daughter last fall--we flew up because we didn't want to subject our 2-year-old to a 3-day road trip. We also had our stuff shipped up here and I imported it when I arrived. My husband finished up work and other stuff in California, then he drove up and joined us about a month later. His car was packed with our remaining items (including our bikes on the back--very visible). And he was alone. And we had not submitted our PR application yet. Anyway, he breezed right through the border and got a 6-month visitor visa without any hassle. I do not know what his exact words were, but I don't think he hid that our long-term plans were to settle down in Canada. I'm sure everyone's experience is different, so I'm just sharing ours. I think what others have said about demonstrating that you know the rules is the best advice. Beyond that, don't hide anything and just be honest.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
amyt1984 said:
Our application is in progress, but I am planning on heading to Canada at New Year on a visitors visa (for 6 months) regardless. My boyfriend, who is sponsoring me, will be travelling back with me and we were hoping to take advantage of his luggage allowance and take as much of my stuff with us as possible.

It never crossed my mind that they might question my three or 4 suitcases? are they going to believe that it is all going back home (to the UK) with me?
Assumed your app in progress in a common-law app? Its good to have proof that your application is in progress (from fee receipt, AOR, or stage 1 approval), and a return tickets dated for max 6 months later.

In general I would limit your personal suitcases to 2, as that is somewhat common for people visiting somewhere (not moving). Your partner can bring as many suitcases as he wants since he is a returning Canadian so you could have more than 4 total, but just keep in mind the more luggage you bring the more chance you could have it all opened and inspected.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
4 suitcases is not unreasonable. The visa-exempt visitors who have had issues that I am aware of are the US citizens who show up at the border in a U-Haul and try to convince CBSA that they are just visiting. The visiting excuse doesn't look good if you have a bunch of furniture packed in a U-Haul.

gooh

Jul 20, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-3-2015
AOR Received.
23-4-2015
File Transfer...
29-4-2015
Med's Done....
5-2-2015
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
21-12-2015
Thank you all for your help! Fortunately I can fit all my belongings in about 4 suitcases. I appreciate the information.