+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland or inland application?

Danaki

Nov 9, 2017
Hello, I am Canadian by descent (Born and raised in Toronto).. My Fiance Aki is Japanese by descent (Born and raised in Kyoto)..my girlfriend Aki is currently on a Tourist Visa.. Aki is pregnant and expecting to have a baby in August 2018. We are in the process of deciding which is our best option

A. Applying For Akis Permanent Residency (Receiving OHIP) and Getting Married in Canada and Delivering the Baby in Canada..

· if we get married in Canada.. (receive Marriage licence..) can we submit our Spousal application (with marriage licence, Marriage certificate pending) or do we need to wait to apply until we receive the marriage Certificate?

· How long once we’ve sent in the application and it has been filed (her First letter stating she’s accepted to stay in country) would Aki obtain her OHIP?

· Akis Visitor Visa expires on June 4th.. If there were any complications with the application being filed by that date, what options would she have to stay in the country?

· Once Aki has sent in her Application, If there are any medical complications prior to her Application being filed (receiving OHIP). Would OHIP reimburse her for the medical costs incurred?

B. Getting Married in Japan/Toronto, and delivering the baby in Japan then applying for Aki’s Permanent Residency …

· Aki doesn’t have health insurance in Japan ( For Pregnancy) so we aren’t sure how expensive the prenatal care and Delivery will be..

· Given our situation..we’ve heard the Family Class application process is easier/ shorter if Applied for out of country, is this true?

· What is the process for applying for PR in Japan? Does it have to go through city hall/ embassy, or can it be done online?

· If Aki has applied for her PR application in Japan, How long until Aki can return to Canada? (can she return once she’s received her first letter, or does she have to wait until she’s received PR?)

· If the baby is born in Japan, we understand we have to apply for proof of Canadian Citizenship.

- How long does the baby’s citizenship process take?

- If we return to Canada before we receive babys proof of Canadian citizenship will the baby be covered from OHIP?

Which option would you recommend??

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Most of your questions have been answered before. Both inland and outland sponsorship will take approximately 12 months. You still have to get married and apply so you need to plan to cover your expenses out of pocket. Not sure how the Japanese system works. Yes your child will get Canadian citizenship through you if born in Japan.

R

rish888

I am Canadian by descent (Born and raised in Toronto)
You're Canadian by birth, not by descent, so your child will be a Canadian citizen by birth (if born in Canada) or by descent. (If born outside Canada.)

The children of Canadians by descent don't get citizenship at birth if they are born outside Canada.