Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
Hey everyone, I'm applying outland from the US and I was wondering if I could see a doctor in Canada during a visit to obtain my medical exam. This guy they're making me go to is the only one remotely close to me (still 2hrs away!) and has already wanted to reschedule twice! I'm a teacher and I can't just go to work/take off work at the drop of a hat! He also only sees patients twice a week which is also annoying. It would be much easier for me to have my exam done the next time I'm in Toronto. They're making me pay cash anyway so it's not much of a difference in terms of cost. Has anyone done this or do you have to get the exam in your native country? Thanks :)

abedelia

Star Member
Oct 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Take this with a grain of salt because I only a few weeks ago submitted my application and I have heard nothing yet from CIC, BUT I am applying outland and did my entire application while on a visit to Canada, including the medical exam. I even mailed it from Canada.

I think it has to be fine because even if you are legally inside Canada, you are only allowed to file an inland application if legally admitted to Canada for more than a year. So there are plenty of circumstances under which you could be spending time in Canada but still filing an outland application. Including on a visit to Canada, like you will be. It actually makes sense that you would visit your partner and work on your application together while you're there. As long as you're there legally and everything adds up in your application, I think it can't be a problem.

Good luck.

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
Hi, I PMed you with a few more questions. Thanks :)

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can definitely get your exam when you're visiting Canada. I did this. I even sort of planned a vacation around it.

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
Great news! I'll be up there for about a week pretty soon anyway so that'll work out. Thanks!

diddagirl

Star Member
Aug 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sbwv09- Yes you can definitely get your medical exam done while your in Canada. Just choose one of the DMP's from the following link for Toronto http://www.cic.gc.ca/dmp-md/medicalinfo.aspx?CountryID=2042&ProvID=15205&ProvinceName=Ontario&CountryName=Canada

Also- an important word of advice, make sure that the DMP understands that you are applying OUTLAND and not inland, and that you fill out the appropriate paperwork for the outland process. Our DMP, although highly recommended seemed confused at the outland process, since we were in Canada.

CeeGee

Star Member
Jan 31, 2010
My wife did her medical while here on a visit,it saved her hours of driving and hundreds of $ as well. We went to dr garrett in kitchener and he was very helpful and thoughtful in filling out the correct application, good luck!

chandu007

Jan 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi CeeGee- How much did the medical cost at Dr. Garrett? Any idea, how much does it cost in GTA? Thanks.

CeeGee said:
My wife did her medical while here on a visit,it saved her hours of driving and hundreds of $ as well. We went to dr garrett in kitchener and he was very helpful and thoughtful in filling out the correct application, good luck!

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
I made an appointment with Dr. Kline on the Danforth in TO and it's around 180CDN for everything. MUCH less expensive than it would be in the States.

Another question about this though, the receptionist kept asking if I had the 'paper from immigration'. I just assumed this was the 'C' paper that I have since I had told her I was applying outland, but would there be anything else I would need besides that and my glasses, etc?

Edit: I called and found out, you just need appendix C and the photos :)

frenchrock

Star Member
Apr 18, 2009
Massena, New York, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2010
Doc's Request.
n/a
AOR Received.
04-06-2010
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
waived
Med's Done....
26-04-2009 (expired/waived)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
22-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
19-10-2010
LANDED..........
pending
sbwv09 said:
Hey everyone, I'm applying outland from the US and I was wondering if I could see a doctor in Canada during a visit to obtain my medical exam. This guy they're making me go to is the only one remotely close to me (still 2hrs away!) and has already wanted to reschedule twice! I'm a teacher and I can't just go to work/take off work at the drop of a hat! He also only sees patients twice a week which is also annoying. It would be much easier for me to have my exam done the next time I'm in Toronto. They're making me pay cash anyway so it's not much of a difference in terms of cost. Has anyone done this or do you have to get the exam in your native country? Thanks :)
Good morning...yes, you definitely can schedule your exam in Canada. It was cash-only at my DMP in Ottawa. I think it cost me $170 or $180 for all exams. Since I'm only 90 minutes away from my Canadian sponsor, I scheduled it on a day off, made a long weekend out of it. Total time of exam (mostly waiting to see the doctor and x-ray tech) was 2 hours.

Good luck!

hil555

Feb 19, 2018
hello,

I am going to take the CELPIP and so apply for EE while in canada on a student visa. Should I (and my spouse and toddler) do the medical exam and police checks in canada, or while still in my home country?

thank you!