28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
regs -

To back up what everyone else has said...

My husband (American) was in Canada as a visitor for the entire sponsorship process. We applied outland. He did his medical in Canada and also obtained all of his police certificates while in Canada (i.e. they were mailed to our Canadian address).

We listed his "home address" on the PR application as his address in the US. But used our address in Canada as his "mailing address". All of his PR related mail came to our Canadian address and he received his passport request by email. He successfully landed earlier this week.

We had zero issues applying outland while he was in Canada.

QCSunshine

Aug 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I also spoke to someone in immigration a few weeks ago who said that outland was okay even if you live in Canada when you apply. She said that I am only a temporary visitor here now and my permanent residence is in my home country. She said as long as I have an address there where I can receive mail (she said it was fine to use my parents' home address, which is where I grew up), outland was perfectly valid. She added that outland was also much quicker and would allow more freedom to travel, if necessary. (I was worried about my parent's health and my ability to go to my home country if there was an emergency.)

plumosa

May 27, 2010
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/03/2010
AOR Received.
17/06/2010
File Transfer...
10/05/2010
Med's Done....
30/11/2009
Interview........
waived-letter dated 27/07/2010
Passport Req..
20/09/2010
VISA ISSUED...
28/09/2010
LANDED..........
28/09/2010
QCSunshine said:
I also spoke to someone in immigration a few weeks ago who said that outland was okay even if you live in Canada when you apply. She said that I am only a temporary visitor here now and my permanent residence is in my home country. She said as long as I have an address there where I can receive mail (she said it was fine to use my parents' home address, which is where I grew up), outland was perfectly valid. She added that outland was also much quicker and would allow more freedom to travel, if necessary. (I was worried about my parent's health and my ability to go to my home country if there was an emergency.)

it still doesn't matter if your address is in your home country or Canada. We only used a Canadian address for our outland application and it caused absolutely no problems. In fact, it was better because the mail came to us directly, instead of my parents in the states. I had forgotten to check one box on my CSQ and they sent it back to me, can you imagine how long it would have taken for it to arrive at my parents, and for it to get back to me and to send it back to MICC? at least 3 weeks unless it was sent express.

The ONLY thing you have to worry about with an outland application is that you might have to go to your home country for an interview if its required. To avoid that chance, just send as much proof as you can!

QCSunshine

Aug 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I used a Canadian address for my mailing address, but this person said I should put my home country address in the blanks that asked for permanent address. But I would think it wouldn't be a problem either way, and agree with you that having mail sent to Canada is preferable if you are living here!

reegs

Jun 15, 2010
Wow, thanks for all the positive feedback. I am going to apply outland anyway--hopefully within the next few weeks.

My spouse is here on a multiple-entry visitor visa which is good for 2 years. However, she is only permitted to stay six month unless she has her stay extended. Does anybody have any experience extending a temporary resident visa while an outland PR application is in process?

I tried to ask the call centre agent, but she would just keep saying, "if she is applying outland, then she shouldn't need the extension because she's not supposed to be in the country for more than a visit."

Thanks again everyone!

midnightmav

Star Member
Apr 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2010
AOR Received.
18-08-2010
File Transfer...
04-08-2010
Med's Done....
15-05-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
25-11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
The CIC agent I spoke to advised me that because my current Visa is temporary, I have to apply Outland because my application may take longer than my Visa is current. So if I go home to Australia while it's still being processed- it has to be Outland. If it were Inland and I had to leave, I would have to re-do my application. It is your choice. But as far as I know you are allowed to apply which-ever way suits your needs.

Carlo

Star Member
Jun 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Recieved!
AOR Received.
Recieved!
File Transfer...
Done!
Med's Request
Recieved
Med's Done....
2011-04-15
Interview........
No!!!
Passport Req..
21/11/2011 Passport Request!!!
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting!!! :)
She can stay with you in Canada for maximum of 6 months. And then she can go back and re-entry after few weeks.
This is great advice, but is there a good chance that the canadian immigration officer deny the person with the mutiple tourist visa entry, seeing that he/she was in the country for 6 months and all of a sudden re-enter to Canada after only visiting the U.S. for a few weeks???