+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OUTLAND FAMILY CLASS sponsorship in JAMAICA

SBW

Star Member
Oct 6, 2021
Hi, I'm new to this forum and sponsoring of family class. Has anyone ever did or is doing an Outland sponsorship to Canada while being in Jamaica? How was the process? I am a Canadian citizen that is currently in Jamaica with 3 children which are also Canadian Citizens, looking to sponsor my common law partner (children's father) who is Jamaican. My children and I have dual citizenship, Ive been with my partner since 2017, My kids and I travel back and forth but when we are in Jamaica we all live together. Do I have to get married for this sponsorship to be approved?

Last edited:

expatgoingback

Sep 10, 2020
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
You don't necesarily have to get married but you might find it easier if you do. Do you meet the definition of "common-law partner" as understood by IRCC:
"Common-Law:This means that you have lived continuously with your partner in a marital-type relationship for at least one year."

SBW

Star Member
Oct 6, 2021
You don't necesarily have to get married but you might find it easier if you do. Do you meet the definition of "common-law partner" as understood by IRCC:
"Common-Law:This means that you have lived continuously with your partner in a marital-type relationship for at least one year."
I did live at least one year in 2018-2019. But how can I prove it?

expatgoingback

Sep 10, 2020
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
I don't know, that's kind of what you have to figure out. Some things I've seen mentioned include a lease in both of your names, joint tax returns, bills sent to the same address, joint bank accounts etc.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Read through the application instructions and what type of proof they are looking for.

If you think you may have difficulty collecting the types of evidence needed, you may find it easier to get married first.

That said, with three children together, you may get less scrutiny than some cases.

But unquestionably, those who are married and also some longer history of living together have fewer questions of eligibility (meet the definition of eligible relationships) and then the relationship / cohabitation has lots of evidence.

Common law - the onus is on applicant and sponsor to demonstrate they meet the 12 month continuous cohabitation requirement.

Reactions: expatgoingback

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
To be clear: not saying you must get married, and can't say how much easier or quicker file might be processed if married compared to common law.

But test for what may be needed in evidence is quite different - in common law, you must show you meet the common law definition, and evidence 'required' is a bit subjective.

Whereas marriage - you show your marriage certificate to demonstrate eligibility, and all the other evidence you have is evidence of genuine relationship.

SBW

Star Member
Oct 6, 2021
To be clear: not saying you must get married, and can't say how much easier or quicker file might be processed if married compared to common law.

But test for what may be needed in evidence is quite different - in common law, you must show you meet the common law definition, and evidence 'required' is a bit subjective.

Whereas marriage - you show your marriage certificate to demonstrate eligibility, and all the other evidence you have is evidence of genuine relationship.
thank you!

SBW

Star Member
Oct 6, 2021
thank you!
What if we are engaged and have the marriage license but not married with the certificate, should I still put through the application or wait until married? (would prefer a wedding in Canada with ALL my family and friends)

SBW

Star Member
Oct 6, 2021
I don't know, that's kind of what you have to figure out. Some things I've seen mentioned include a lease in both of your names, joint tax returns, bills sent to the same address, joint bank accounts etc.
Thats kind of hard if we both living in my parents house and all bills are in my parents name. Only have DL and separate bank accounts with my parents address that is the same.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
What if we are engaged and have the marriage license but not married with the certificate, should I still put through the application or wait until married? (would prefer a wedding in Canada with ALL my family and friends)
Marriage license without marriage certificate does nothing.

Since it sounds like documentation for common law is an issue (but read the application instructions!):

-makes more sense to prioritize getting a simple marriage sooner and quicker. Have whatever big marriage or celebration in Canada later. If it's a religious marriage you want, have the civil one and agree with minister / officiant whatever makes sense (many will do a religious marriage separately from civil or at least a 'blessing' ceremony which can be pretty close to a wedding).

SBW

Star Member
Oct 6, 2021
Marriage license without marriage certificate does nothing.

Since it sounds like documentation for common law is an issue (but read the application instructions!):

-makes more sense to prioritize getting a simple marriage sooner and quicker. Have whatever big marriage or celebration in Canada later. If it's a religious marriage you want, have the civil one and agree with minister / officiant whatever makes sense (many will do a religious marriage separately from civil or at least a 'blessing' ceremony which can be pretty close to a wedding).
okay thank you.