+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland app. while spouse is visiting

munanicole

Oct 30, 2009
Hi
Pls I have a few questions and would appreciate responses on them.

1. Can one make an outland application even though spouse is in Canada on a visit?
If yes, is there anything particular that needs to be shown in this application?

2. Would spouse be required to leave Canada be4 application is completed (ie mayb for an interview?

3. Can spouse do his medical examinations in Canada, even though he has only a visitor's status?

Thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Yes, you can always make an outland application, you can put the spouses foreign address on the application but the Canadian address as a mailing address

2. Only if an interview is required.

3. Yes.

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
Be advised that in order to issue the visa, the visa office will require the applicant's passport. In most cases, it's as simple as mailing the passport to them and then they mail it back wherever you want it (including in Canada), but that means he would be without a passport for a while. There are also some visa offices that will not mail a passport outside of the country (New Delhi is like that) - people usually get around that by having the passport mailed to their relatives in their home country and then they forward it to the applicant.

munanicole

Oct 30, 2009
Thnx mitamata, for the advice.

Does that mean that the visa is issued at the home country, and not in Canada? Even when if i used my Canadian address as a mailing address?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
munanicole said:
Thnx mitamata, for the advice.

Does that mean that the visa is issued at the home country, and not in Canada? Even when if i used my Canadian address as a mailing address?
If you choose an outland application, your visa will be processed in your home country. They will ask you to mail your passport, they will give you the visa and mail you the passport back. Unless it's India, then they will not mail it outside India so you will have to find another way.

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
The outland and inland terms are often misunderstood.

Outland and inland have little to do with where the applicant is. It refers to where the application is processed. So if you do an outland application, it will be processed outside of Canada, in the visa office of the applicant's country (though the first step is done in Canada, in Mississauga) and it will be the visa office that issues the visa. If you do an inland application, then it will be processed entirely in Canada, starting in Vegreville.

Outland can be done no matter where the applicant is, whether it is in Canada or outside it.
For an inland application, the applicant has to be present in Canada.

The mailing address is only the address where CIC will send their correspondence to, it doesn't determine where the application is processed.

lilacsouls

Nov 2, 2009
Hello all,

I wanna ask same question for my friend who has applied outland application while he is now in Canada as a visitor. His 1st step was approved anh his whole application was sent to High Commision Canada in Singapore. His visiting visa was expired one month ago. Last week, he got a letter from Singapore saying that he is on the interview list. Should he go back his homecountry for the interview? Is it possible that he is able to have an interview in Canada where he lives now? Please advice??

Thank you in advance and happy new year.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lilacsouls said:
Hello all,

I wanna ask same question for my friend who has applied outland application while he is now in Canada as a visitor. His 1st step was approved anh his whole application was sent to High Commision Canada in Singapore. His visiting visa was expired one month ago. Last week, he got a letter from Singapore saying that he is on the interview list. Should he go back his homecountry for the interview? Is it possible that he is able to have an interview in Canada where he lives now? Please advice??

Thank you in advance and happy new year.
It's a very bad idea to let your visit visa expire like that. He should either leave now or apply for a restoration of status to renew his visit visa. It doesn't matter if he's applying for PR, he still needs to follow the rules and currently he is illegally in Canada.

When applying outland, if he's called for an interview, it will happen in Singapore. He can not transfer the interview to Canada.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
mitamata said:
Be advised that in order to issue the visa, the visa office will require the applicant's passport. In most cases, it's as simple as mailing the passport to them and then they mail it back wherever you want it (including in Canada), but that means he would be without a passport for a while. There are also some visa offices that will not mail a passport outside of the country (New Delhi is like that) - people usually get around that by having the passport mailed to their relatives in their home country and then they forward it to the applicant.
we made a notarized copy of my passport before sending it to visa office, so I felt at ease staying in Canada without passport.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lilacsouls said:
Thanks Leon. I just thought that he is legally in Canada as his PR application is "in process"???!!!
No, it does not matter if a person is applying for PR, if they are staying in Canada while applying, they still need to make sure their TRV or other permits are valid. When people apply for inland sponsorship, it's best to send the form for TRV extension with the package of documents, that way the extension is tied to their file and they will not overstay. While doing outland, he is free to visit Canada but he is not free to overstay his visa. It's not a requirement for the application that he stay so they do not have to grant him an extension.

Some people hop off to the US and come back hoping to get a renewed 6 months time limit but the official way to do it is to apply for an extension of visit visa 30 days before it expires. If he's already let it expire, he can apply for a restoration of status as long as he does it before 90 days have passed from the expiration so he's not in any huge trouble just yet.