+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Out of status spouse

Oct 24, 2020
We got married 8 months ago and my spouse is out of status from last 1.5 year. Now when I am sponsoring her CIC required a Canadian PCC upfront. Which really scares us as she’s out of status and wether we will get it or no or if we get it will it be any good ?
please help us with your experience we are very scared.

Oct 24, 2020
The only think which scares me as she’s out of status so will the PCC comes out clean or there could be any complications because it’s been more then a month and we haven’t received it yet

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
The only think which scares me as she’s out of status so will the PCC comes out clean or there could be any complications because it’s been more then a month and we haven’t received it yet
Did you check with RCMP about status of PCC? Its taking more time than usual these days.

Johnjacobb

May 19, 2020
We got married 8 months ago and my spouse is out of status from last 1.5 year. Now when I am sponsoring her CIC required a Canadian PCC upfront. Which really scares us as she’s out of status and wether we will get it or no or if we get it will it be any good ?
please help us with your experience we are very scared.
How did your application go for your spouse? I am in the same situation

Johnjacobb

May 19, 2020
I have just applied in Jan. So fingers crossed. I was able to obtain a PCC from a private firm like commissionaires
Thanks for your response.

Did you consult any lawyers about her out of status?

From what i gather canadian immigration do not care as you are applying for PR and she has no criminal background.

Am i right?

caseyarnold

Star Member
Jan 22, 2020
You can legally sponsor a spouse in-land when they are out of status. Depending on when they lost the status, you may be able to file a demand for restoration of visitor status. They've been a bit laxer than normal due to COVID-19 border restrictions: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/restoration-status.html

Are you sure you need a police certificate from Canada? Normally they just request it on your behalf when they need it, but it may be different for some nationalities, I personally didn't need to do that as an American.

Best of luck!

Lim2010

Apr 27, 2021
Thanks for your response.

Did you consult any lawyers about her out of status?

From what i gather canadian immigration do not care as you are applying for PR and she has no criminal background.

Am i right?
I was out of status for 8 month last year when my spouse was doing sponsorship for my PR and I just got copr today. You just need to write a explanation why you are out of status.

Aug 5, 2021
I was out of status for 8 month last year when my spouse was doing sponsorship for my PR and I just got copr today. You just need to write a explanation why you are out of status.

Hi, can you elaborate on this? How do I renew my passport if out of status? Since they usually ask for your valid PR card/OWP/TRV before you can renew passport? So confusing...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, can you elaborate on this? How do I renew my passport if out of status? Since they usually ask for your valid PR card/OWP/TRV before you can renew passport? So confusing...
It makes a difference what country you are from. Some countries allow you to renew your passport without having valid status and some do not. What passport do you hold?

Aug 5, 2021
It makes a difference what country you are from. Some countries allow you to renew your passport without having valid status and some do not. What passport do you hold?
Philippines. It says on the Embassy website that you need valid permits.. Which is counterproductive lol. My partner is Canadian and we have been living together for more than 2 years, my visa expired last year, passport expired 4 months ago. No appointment schedule available online.. even lawyers says they can't do anything on their end to renew my passport. This is why I have been reading this forum for 2 days haha :(

kaur1172

Star Member
Jun 8, 2016
Hi @Lim2010,

My case is similar to yours, My spouse has a study permit which is valid from dec 2020 - 2022. Since he hasn't attended college on this study permit. I guess he is out of status now.

We got married in May 2021

I am applying for his PR application. Could you please suggest me on Imm 5556 Checklist, "Should I check the box saying "Are you a student"

Or should I only mention that I am attaching the Marriage Certificate with the Work Permit Application

Please suggest what should I be proceeding with. Your help is very much appreciated

Lim2010

Apr 27, 2021
Hi @Lim2010,

My case is similar to yours, My spouse has a study permit which is valid from dec 2020 - 2022. Since he hasn't attended college on this study permit. I guess he is out of status now.

We got married in May 2021

I am applying for his PR application. Could you please suggest me on Imm 5556 Checklist, "Should I check the box saying "Are you a student"

Or should I only mention that I am attaching the Marriage Certificate with the Work Permit Application

Please suggest what should I be proceeding with. Your help is very much appreciated
I think it depends on the question why he hasn’t go to college or is he going to. If he had an offer but dropped off then I don’t think he is a student at this moment. However, it always good to attach a letter to explain the situation, like why he is not in the college. My case is a bit different than yours, my work permit was expired so I was out of status. I also attached an explanation saying why it happened.