+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Out of Status Inland spouse sponsorship

leo.mykolenko

May 21, 2024
I have a PR status. I applied for the inland spouse sponsorship in mid-January. My Spouse's work permits expired in mid-February.
Biometric, medical, and eligibility are completed. On May 8 my spouse received an approval in principle letter aka pre-arrival services email.
Technically, she is out of status at the moment. In this case, A25 is applied and my spouse can stay in Canada during the application processing.
Since we already received an approval in principle letter, my spouse can apply for an open work permit? what is the process? Does OWP grant any status?
Does it make any sense to apply for a work permit or just wait for the final decision? The idea of applying for the open work permit is to get a status for my spouse to have a backup in case the PR refuses.
What is the best course of action here? I already passed the 90-day restoration period due to being unaware of the out-of-status situation.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Unless she needs to work, I would wait for the PR to be approved. It will save $255 (unless the OWP fees have increased).

Since she is out of status, the OWP will probably not give her legal status (only authority to work in Canada).

leo.mykolenko

May 21, 2024
Unless she needs to work, I would wait for the PR to be approved. It will save $255 (unless the OWP fees have increased).

Since she is out of status, the OWP will probably not give her legal status (only authority to work in Canada).
I was under the impression that if you have a work permit, your immigration status is a temporary foreign worker.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was under the impression that if you have a work permit, your immigration status is a temporary foreign worker.
Since the OWP is offered because of the spousal sponsorship, I don't know if it restores status.

Hopefully someone that knows for sure will chime in.