+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Our passports, will they be returned to us?

YousifBreesam

Star Member
Jan 31, 2018
Hello, my family and I entered to Canada as refugee claimant, but Immigration took all of our passports in 2012 (the year we came to Canada), now, will we get our passports back especially after we recently got accepted as convention refugees. Please help me!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Why do you want your passport back? If you receive your PR status through a refugee stream, you should never use that passport to travel ever again. Doing so will put your PR status in jeopardy. You should obtain a travel document instead.

najn

Dec 1, 2017
When applying to get the travel document do they seize your home country passport?

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
@YousifBreesam passport can be returned to you upon your request along providing reasons why you need your passport. Please note:
1. Do NOT under any circumstances use your passport. It means you are seeking your country's protection which might end up losing your Refugee status.
2. Apply for Travel Document and use it for any travelling. They will give you 2 years validity (5 if you are a PR)
3. If you don't apply for Travel Document, you will get your passport back when you become a landed immigrant (Get your PR status).
4. Even after becoming PR, based on current rules, do NOT use your passport.

*** U SHOULD NOT USE YOUR REAL LEGAL NAME AS YOUR ID HERE or ANYWHERE ELSE ONLINE ****

YousifBreesam

Star Member
Jan 31, 2018
@YousifBreesam passport can be returned to you upon your request along providing reasons why you need your passport. Please note:
1. Do NOT under any circumstances use your passport. It means you are seeking your country's protection which might end up losing your Refugee status.
2. Apply for Travel Document and use it for any travelling. They will give you 2 years validity (5 if you are a PR)
3. If you don't apply for Travel Document, you will get your passport back when you become a landed immigrant (Get your PR status).
4. Even after becoming PR, based on current rules, do NOT use your passport.

*** U SHOULD NOT USE YOUR REAL LEGAL NAME AS YOUR ID HERE or ANYWHERE ELSE ONLINE ****
I don't want to use it, I was just wondering if I could get it back, thats it.

I want to change my name here in this website, but I don't know how. Can you advise me on how to do that?

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
Sure. I wasn't sure if you wanted to use it or not so I thought I should tell you anyway. You can get it back when it is expired but you can't have any non-expired passport while having a valid travel document.

For me, I wanted to keep my first travel document just because it brings memories and I have Schengen visa on it so I asked if I can keep it. They said yes but they punched it and returned it to me.

Not sure if it is possible to change the ID but if not just create a new one.

Reactions: YousifBreesam