+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ottawa versus Hull. Which is easier if there is a choice?

thaihubbie

Sep 6, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-12-2010
File Transfer...
29-01-11
Med's Done....
12-11-2010
Passport Req..
29-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2011
I am planning to sponsor my Thai husband. I'm from the Ottawa/Hull region. If any of you know Ottawa-Hull, it is very common for people to live in Hull-Quebec or in the surrounding areas (Gatineau, Wakefield etc) and work in Ottawa or it could be vice versa. What is the difference in the Sponsorship Application for Quebec versus Ontario? Is one easier than the other? If I knew it was much easier to sponsor my husband to Quebec then I could lease an apartment in Hull instead of what I have been planning for so long now to just go to Ottawa.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

thaihubbie said:
I am planning to sponsor my Thai husband. I'm from the Ottawa/Hull region. If any of you know Ottawa-Hull, it is very common for people to live in Hull-Quebec or in the surrounding areas (Gatineau, Wakefield etc) and work in Ottawa or it could be vice versa. What is the difference in the Sponsorship Application for Quebec versus Ontario? Is one easier than the other? If I knew it was much easier to sponsor my husband to Quebec then I could lease an apartment in Hull instead of what I have been planning for so long now to just go to Ottawa.
If you are resident in Quebec, there is an extra step in that you have to obtain a CSQ and also in spousal applications you require proof of funds.

PMM

thaihubbie

Sep 6, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-12-2010
File Transfer...
29-01-11
Med's Done....
12-11-2010
Passport Req..
29-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2011
So Ontario is easier. Noted

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
A slightly related question: Are you allowed to move to Quebec once you are a PR, or do you need special dispensation?

Zhu

May 30, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
Swede said:
A slightly related question: Are you allowed to move to Quebec once you are a PR, or do you need special dispensation?
That is definitely something to consider here.

I immigrated to Ontario because my partner lived in Ottawa. I didn't even think of going through the Québec process because well, we were "on the other side of the river". However, it did lead to minor issues after I got my PR.

Since I'm a native French speaker, there were quite a few job offers for me in Hull. But apparently, in order to work in Québec, I had to get a CSQ, even though I had already landed as a PR in Ottawa. This is a bit of a grey area apparently, because I was never able to get clear info, CIC and Québec were contradicting each other.

I was pretty angry at the time. I wasn't going to pay for the CSQ, plus go through the crazy waiting time! A lot of Québecers get mad if francophone go through the Québec process (supposed to be easier) and than move to other provinces. I was honest and applied at the federal level because I lived in Ontario. Yet, I had issues to work in Québec, even though it's part of Canada and I was a landed immigrant!

Nevermind, I'm now a citizen... but never worked in Québec, still in Ottawa ;-)

So you may want to consider this issue and get the facts straight.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
you are right, Quebec has always been more difficult to deal with in immigration

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Zhu said:
Swede said:

I immigrated to Ontario because my partner lived in Ottawa. I didn't even think of going through the Québec process because well, we were "on the other side of the river". However, it did lead to minor issues after I got my PR.

Since I'm a native French speaker, there were quite a few job offers for me in Hull. But apparently, in order to work in Québec, I had to get a CSQ, even though I had already landed as a PR in Ottawa. This is a bit of a grey area apparently, because I was never able to get clear info, CIC and Québec were contradicting each other.

I was pretty angry at the time. I wasn't going to pay for the CSQ, plus go through the crazy waiting time! A lot of Québecers get mad if francophone go through the Québec process (supposed to be easier) and than move to other provinces. I was honest and applied at the federal level because I lived in Ontario. Yet, I had issues to work in Québec, even though it's part of Canada and I was a landed immigrant!

Somebody gave you bad advice. Once you are a PR the mobility clause allows you to move to any province or territory in the Country. There would be no CSQs . The only proviso is if you were selected under a Provinces PNP program.

PMM

Zhu

May 30, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
PMM said:
Hi

Zhu said:
Swede said:

Somebody gave you bad advice. Once you are a PR the mobility clause allows you to move to any province or territory in the Country. There would be no CSQs . The only proviso is if you were selected under a Provinces PNP program.

PMM
Apparently, according to the Quebec immigration services, it's not that simple. Hence the conflicting info I got at the time (4 years go). CIC argued that as a PR, mobility clause as you said, while Québec stressed on the fact I needed a CSQ to work there.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Who exactly told you that you needed a CSQ to work in Quebec? Was it the MICC?

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I spoke to the MICC and they told me that you do not need a CSQ, and you can move to Quebec and work there without restriction. In her words, "You have the same benefit as everyone else."

This is a half-truth in the sense that a CSQ entitles you to Quebec resident tuition, but we were speaking about work and living there, which she said has no restrictions for any PR, CSQ or not.

The Littlest Hobo

Star Member
Nov 13, 2009
Switzerland
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-10-2009
File Transfer...
7-12-2009
Passport Req..
18-12-2009
VISA ISSUED...
3-02-2010
LANDED..........
20-03-2010
We are also going to settle in the Ottawa/Hull region. In terms of immigration I'm not sure how different it is but I might guess that the language skills of the applicant would help/hinder that somewhat - wouldn't Quebec prefer francophone applicants? Although their immigration requires a bit more to qualify as the other posters mentioned, I heard rumours back in the day that Quebec pushes to keep a large percent of immigrants because boosting the provinces population boosts their number of seats in parliament, as well as tax base, transfer payments, etc. A political thing. No idea if there is any truth in it... but doesn't sound too far-fetched. But then all the provinces might feel the same.

Good luck with your application! Your husband must be very brave to move from Thailand to Ottawa - brrrrr!
Cheers,
TLH

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Quebec likes to get immigrants and teach them French, to keep the French language alive. :)

If you plan on going to school in Quebec a CSQ will entitle you to resident tuition, other than that it's half a dozen or six of another...