+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Other Relative Sponsorship -Sister

yuki.017

Oct 22, 2018
Can anyone here heard about sponsorship their siblings, under Family Class,-Other Relative. Base on the cic site I am qualified to sponsor. I applied my sponsorship for conjugal last year and it was denied. Now, I dont need to apply sponsorship to my partner since she found an employer to hire her under LCP. May parents are both old 75 years,not able to migrate to canada because weather is not approproate for them. I am single. I am planning to sponsor my single parent sister who has 2 children. My LiCO requirements is qualified. Any thoughts about this? Can i sponsor my sister? Or does anyone here has the same situation as mine.

Thank u all!

Roy19

Dec 7, 2017
Both your parents are alive and you also have a conjugal partner so you aren't eligible to sponsor a sibling.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Can anyone here heard about sponsorship their siblings, under Family Class,-Other Relative. Base on the cic site I am qualified to sponsor. I applied my sponsorship for conjugal last year and it was denied. Now, I dont need to apply sponsorship to my partner since she found an employer to hire her under LCP. May parents are both old 75 years,not able to migrate to canada because weather is not approproate for them. I am single. I am planning to sponsor my single parent sister who has 2 children. My LiCO requirements is qualified. Any thoughts about this? Can i sponsor my sister? Or does anyone here has the same situation as mine.

Thank u all!
You are not eligible to sponsor your sister since both of your parents are still alive.

Albert2018

Jan 16, 2019
Hi, looking for anyone who may give advice. Am I considered qualify to sponsor my sister if: her only other living relatives aside from me are my sisters (1 naturalized Canadian citizen, but already sponsoring our mom to come here, and 1 naturalized US citizens living in the US) and our mother (application for coming here is in process); my father is deceased; I am single and have no one else to sponsor; sister being sponsored is single too and have no kids; I meet the income guidelines and willing to give financial support if required.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, looking for anyone who may give advice. Am I considered qualify to sponsor my sister if: her only other living relatives aside from me are my sisters (1 naturalized Canadian citizen, but already sponsoring our mom to come here, and 1 naturalized US citizens living in the US) and our mother (application for coming here is in process); my father is deceased; I am single and have no one else to sponsor; sister being sponsored is single too and have no kids; I meet the income guidelines and willing to give financial support if required.
No - you don't qualify. You have a sister who is Canadian and your mother is still alive.

Albert2018

Jan 16, 2019
No - you don't qualify. You have a sister who is Canadian and your mother is still alive.
How sad. It sounds like we would only qualify if we were both orphans. I thought having this option 2 after option 1 (orphans) was to qualify more types of "other" relatives. I wonder what the intention was behind this option. Anyhow, would you know of other means for me to sponsor my sister? I was looking into the skilled worker route but i'm doubtful we'll get enough points. Although she's been gainfully employed and can possibly pass other adaptability criteria, she has just turned 60 and might retire soon.

Albert2018

Jan 16, 2019
How sad. It sounds like we would only qualify if we were both orphans. I thought having this option 2 after option 1 (orphans) was to qualify more types of "other" relatives. I wonder what the intention was behind this option. Anyhow, would you know of other means for me to sponsor my sister? I was looking into the skilled worker route but i'm doubtful we'll get enough points. Although she's been gainfully employed and can possibly pass other adaptability criteria, she has just turned 60 and might retire soon.
scylla, thanks for your reply, by the way. I appreciate it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's no means for you to sponsor your sister. If she wishes to immigrate she will have to qualify on her own through an economic stream like Express Entry. Given she just turned 60, this most likely won't be possible and she will have to be satisfied with visiting from time to time.

To answer your question - no, this program isn't in place to qualify more types of relatives. It's in place to allow Canadians who have absolutely no family at all in Canada and whose parents are deceased to sponsor another relative. That's why it's often called the "lonely Canadian rule".

Reactions: np08

Albert2018

Jan 16, 2019
There's no means for you to sponsor your sister. If she wishes to immigrate she will have to qualify on her own through an economic stream like Express Entry. Given she just turned 60, this most likely won't be possible and she will have to be satisfied with visiting from time to time.

To answer your question - no, this program isn't in place to qualify more types of relatives. It's in place to allow Canadians who have absolutely no family at all in Canada and whose parents are deceased to sponsor another relative. That's why it's often called the "lonely Canadian rule".
If i give enough proof that I don't care much for my Canadian sister, will that pass me as a lonely Canadian? :D Oh hey. Visiting it still is then. Many thanks again for your reply scylla. Have a great day!

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
I dont understand the cic, why parents need to be dead so you can sponsor one relative, Then they will not consider parents do not want to come to canada because they are already too old. My friend case he brought his old age dad to Canada after a few months die because of the cold weather. Im so upset about their rule. :( -Dont get me wrong I just want to express my thoughts.
Because sponsoring a relative under the lonely Canadian rule is a very special case and it's supposed to be a last resort for people who truly have no one in Canada nor do they have any relatives whom they could sponsor normally through existing immigration streams (spouses, children, parents).

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
I dont understand the cic, why parents need to be dead so you can sponsor one relative, Then they will not consider parents do not want to come to canada because they are already too old. My friend case he brought his old age dad to Canada after a few months die because of the cold weather. Im so upset about their rule. :( -Dont get me wrong I just want to express my thoughts.
One of many things to make Canada, one of the greatest countries on this planet is that this is a land of law. Under current Immigration law, the lone Canadian clause clearly defined its contents and requirements. If you don't like it, either elect someone that can change the law to your way, or I guess that you are a free man that you can leave this country at any time that make you so upset, because the law doesn't favor you.