+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Other PR Issues

derbeast

Star Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hi all,

I spoke with a friend recently who said there may be some issues with getting my PR status renewed in 5 years and I wanted to check with you guys. I am recently after getting PR as a skilled worker. I have recently quit my job here and am wondering if I worked a minimum wage position for the next few years would that have any impact on me getting renewed in 5 years since I came in as a skilled worker? Are there are any other factors that are taken into account by the government other than the amount of days spent in Canada when approving a PR renewal?

Many thanks,

D

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

derbeast said:
Hi all,

I spoke with a friend recently who said there may be some issues with getting my PR status renewed in 5 years and I wanted to check with you guys. I am recently after getting PR as a skilled worker. I have recently quit my job here and am wondering if I worked a minimum wage position for the next few years would that have any impact on me getting renewed in 5 years since I came in as a skilled worker? Are there are any other factors that are taken into account by the government other than the amount of days spent in Canada when approving a PR renewal?

Many thanks,

D
As long as you remain in Canada for 2/5 that's all CIC cares about when you renew your PR card.

derbeast

Star Member
Feb 3, 2009
Thanks PMM,

Just to be 100% clear, there are no other grounds (perhaps other than some sort of criminal offense) that one can be refused a renewal on their PR other than not spending 2 of the 5 yrs in Canada?

Happy New Year to you!

D

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That is right. You can change your career and do whatever you want once you are PR. I actually did that myself and worked a low income job while I was re-training for a new career. When you renew your PR card, all they care about is that you spent at least 730 days in Canada. They do not really care about what you are doing for a job.

If you commit a crime, they will not wait until you renew your PR card to kick you out. They will make that decision sooner.

You can read about your rights and obligations as a PR here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp