+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Original Passport Request but no Letter of introduction received

Melody23

Star Member
Jul 12, 2016
Hello,

I applied for my study permit online on May 14th and was asked to submit my passport at the Dhaka VAC office today. I did as requested however, I am not sure if I should be concerned that I didn't receive a LOI or be hopeful that passport request would mean my application has been approved? MyCIC account still says that final decision 'has not started' and so I am a bit worried. Does passport request generally mean a positive thing? Should I still expect to receive a LOI? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

Hasan2015

Star Member
Dec 19, 2015
Melody23 said:
Hello,

I applied for my study permit online on May 14th and was asked to submit my passport at the Dhaka VAC office today. I did as requested however, I am not sure if I should be concerned that I didn't receive a LOI or be hopeful that passport request would mean my application has been approved? MyCIC account still says that final decision 'has not started' and so I am a bit worried. Does passport request generally mean a positive thing? Should I still expect to receive a LOI? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!
Hi,

Congrats! In most of the cases, getting passport request means your visa has been approved. You shall get an email on the day your passport will get stamped and the status will be changed. You shall receive letter of introduction when with your passport.

Melody23

Star Member
Jul 12, 2016
Thanks Hasan! This actually makes sense. I was so worried for all these weeks because of my FBI clearance. I received it yesterday and uploaded to MyCIC right away. Couldn't sleep the whole night and then in the morning received an email from CIC asking me to submit the original passport. Now that they have finally requested my passport I don't even know if the application is approved or not. Gawd this wait is killing me. I am hoping this would be positive iA.

vaishnavi

Jun 18, 2016
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
15-06-2018
IELTS Request
07-04-2018
Med's Done....
22-05-2018
Passport Req..
30-07-2018
LANDED..........
13-08-2018
Melody23 said:
Thanks Hasan! This actually makes sense. I was so worried for all these weeks because of my FBI clearance. I received it yesterday and uploaded to MyCIC right away. Couldn't sleep the whole night and then in the morning received an email from CIC asking me to submit the original passport. Now that they have finally requested my passport I don't even know if the application is approved or not. Gawd this wait is killing me. I am hoping this would be positive iA.
don't worry Melody as far as I have heard and seen when u get a passport request its approval cos CIC won't ask ur passport just to stamp a rejection they will send the reason to ur mail if its rejected... So it is approved..congrats.

Melody23

Star Member
Jul 12, 2016
Thanks Vaishnavi! I just want to be stress free and would want to book my flights so not sure whether I should go ahead and do it.

@canadaihr: yes, they gave me a tracking number and said i can track it by visiting their website.

enywmara

Star Member
Jun 23, 2016
Dhaka
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
25-05-2022
AOR Received.
07-07-2022
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-12-2021
Interview........
Not needed
Melody23 said:
Thanks Vaishnavi! I just want to be stress free and would want to book my flights so not sure whether I should go ahead and do it.

@canadaihr: yes, they gave me a tracking number and said i can track it by visiting their website.
Dear Melody,

Don't book you flights just yet as you don't know when you will get the passport back. Wait till you get your passport. I have not yet heard how long it will take for the Dhaka VFS to receive the passport back. Maybe it will be 1 week, maybe 2 weeks.

I would be grateful if forum members from Bangladesh can shed light on the time-line for passport transmittal.

I have also received a passport request letter, stating that they need my original passport to finalize the decision. I was also in a similar situation, but in my case it was the UK police certificate that I had to upload.

By the way, did you pay for the passport transmittal service? What documents did you bring with you when you presented your passport at the VFS?

canadalhr

Star Member
May 30, 2016
Hello guys.Since both ofyou got passport request. Can you tell me if you got any message frpm vfs on ssubmitting passport? Anu tracking of passport??

enywmara

Star Member
Jun 23, 2016
Dhaka
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
25-05-2022
AOR Received.
07-07-2022
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-12-2021
Interview........
Not needed
canadalhr said:
Hello guys.Since both ofyou got passport request. Can you tell me if you got any message frpm vfs on ssubmitting passport? Anu tracking of passport??
Hey, have you already submitted your passport? If you have, you must have received a receipt. The tracking number is on that receipt. Its a very long number, if you are talking about Dhaka VFS, then your tracking number will have the letters BDDA in the middle of that number.

canadalhr

Star Member
May 30, 2016
enywmara said:
Hey, have you already submitted your passport? If you have, you must have received a receipt. The tracking number is on that receipt. Its a very long number, if you are talking about Dhaka VFS, then your tracking number will have the letters BDDA in the middle of that number.
I did but there's nothing in tracking. Do you get any email/text?Or online?

enywmara

Star Member
Jun 23, 2016
Dhaka
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
25-05-2022
AOR Received.
07-07-2022
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-12-2021
Interview........
Not needed
canadalhr said:
I did but there's nothing in tracking. Do you get any email/text?Or online?
No I did not get any email or text yet, but its strange, how come you are not getting any status on the tracking? It should at least say that your passport/document has been forwarded to the Visa office in Singapore. Are you using the VFS website? You can track it on the VFS site. Also did you apply on-line or on paper?

Tanimbd

May 21, 2016
HI melody,

Asking for passport means approval, no worries. I just need your favour. I have submitted my file at VFS Bangladesh on 20 July but did not get any responses yet.How was your journey though. Did they made any queries about sponsor or have you faced any interview before they ask for Passport. Any informations from your site mate.

Melody23

Star Member
Jul 12, 2016
Hi Enywmara,
I actually applied for the study permit online so that included the transmittal service fee. The lady at the counter didn't ask for any fees and said everything was taken care of. I brought my old and new passports (submitted them both), the letter saying that the passport was requested and the receipt/paper I received when I provided my biometrics at the VAC. They checked everything and gave me the tracking number and said that they will send it out to Singapore. I tracked my passport just now and it said that it was forwarded to the Canada Visa Office Singapore. I am still waiting for the LOI as I know at Point of entry they might ask for it but what I am confused about is if visa gets approved and stamped on the passport then what is the need of the LOI?

Here is my timeline:
Applied online: May 14th
Biometrics request: May 15th
Biometrics submitted: May 16th
Request for PCC from Bangladesh and FBI (as I completed my undergrad in NYC): May 17th
Note** FBI took more than 10 weeks to get back to me with the FBI clearance report. I applied on May 25th and sent them my finger prints and all and they received it on June 1st. Weeks passed by and in the mean time CIC notified me about medical being passed. Then day before yesterday on August 16th I received my FBI report. My friend in California received it on my behalf and he scanned me the document. I uploaded to MyCIC asap and the next morning that is yesterday I received the passport request.
Medical Passed: June 14th
Blank update on account: July 1st
Provided FBI Clearance: August 17th
Passport Request: August 17th

Melody23

Star Member
Jul 12, 2016
Hi Tamimbd,

I actually applied online bro so can't tell for sure how VAC was like. However, I submitted my biometrics there and they seemed pretty cool and fast with the whole process. And then after that I had nothing to do with them. However, after passport request I visited them yesterday and submitted it. They didn't ask me anything since I completed my application online but only gave me a rough estimate of when I should be expecting my passport back. She said the max would be within ten days. I think that's an exaggeration as I have seen people receive their passport back within few days but can't tell for sure. She gave me the tracking number with the receipt and asked me to visit their website to track the passport movement. Lastly, she said that I should be expecting to see an email when the SG office receives my passport and also when they dispatch it. So now I have crossed my fingers :)

enywmara

Star Member
Jun 23, 2016
Dhaka
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
25-05-2022
AOR Received.
07-07-2022
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-12-2021
Interview........
Not needed
Melody23 said:
Hi Enywmara,
I actually applied for the study permit online so that included the transmittal service fee. The lady at the counter didn't ask for any fees and said everything was taken care of. I brought my old and new passports (submitted them both), the letter saying that the passport was requested and the receipt/paper I received when I provided my biometrics at the VAC. They checked everything and gave me the tracking number and said that they will send it out to Singapore. I tracked my passport just now and it said that it was forwarded to the Canada Visa Office Singapore. I am still waiting for the LOI as I know at Point of entry they might ask for it but what I am confused about is if visa gets approved and stamped on the passport then what is the need of the LOI?

Here is my timeline:
Applied online: May 14th
Biometrics request: May 15th
Biometrics submitted: May 16th
Request for PCC from Bangladesh and FBI (as I completed my undergrad in NYC): May 17th
Note** FBI took more than 10 weeks to get back to me with the FBI clearance report. I applied on May 25th and sent them my finger prints and all and they received it on June 1st. Weeks passed by and in the mean time CIC notified me about medical being passed. Then day before yesterday on August 16th I received my FBI report. My friend in California received it on my behalf and he scanned me the document. I uploaded to MyCIC asap and the next morning that is yesterday I received the passport request.
Medical Passed: June 14th
Blank update on account: July 1st
Provided FBI Clearance: August 17th
Passport Request: August 17th

This status that they are showing is correct. Once the passport reaches singapore, the status will be updated to:-

Visa application, tracking ID No.XXXXXXXXXX Additional documents or/and passport received are being processed at the Canada Visa Office, Singapore. To know more, please call VAC helpline number or visit VAC website.

Now your status is saying has been forwarded to, it will change to received. About the letter of introduction, I am not very sure the answer to your query either, but as far as I understand, we get the student status at the port of entry not in Dhaka.

But other members who have already travelled can let you know.

Hope this helps.