+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Original or Xerox

CeeGee

Star Member
Jan 31, 2010
Hi, it's me again--Do I send the original or the Xerox of my current marriage certificate to my sponsor, my original birth certificate, and an original of my first husband's death certificate.

I just hate sending off my original birth certificate; I was smart enough to order multiple originals of the other, but it is my only original of my birth certificate.

Any last minute advice before the application goes out would be precious to me!!

CeeGee

Star Member
Jan 31, 2010
Gosh, I am getting tired. It says right on the form to send off copies off the birth, marriage, etc. Sorry to bother all of you. It just so tiring to label, sort, and organize all of this!

Now, if anyone has advice about those 4 passport photos I am worried about!

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
That's okay! We were all a little crazy when putting together our applications.

About the photos: If you've glued the first one down, my advice would be to go have more done so that you are either a) including the glued down one PLUS 4, or b) reprint the first page and include the 4 in the envelope.

They can be picky about applications, and if they don't like how you've attached the photo, they may request more or send back your application which would incur at least a month's delay.

In my opinion, better to be safe than sorry!

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
i found the instructions for our forms confusing...

on the top it said "send photocopies unless otherwise requested" and beside some line items it said "photocopy" but not beside all... we sent originals for any it didn't say "photocopy" beside even tho it said at the top to send photocopies.... just in case... it turns out many people applying out of our office were asked for originals of certain documents... these were all people who had sent photocopies and they were all the documents we sent originals of... we didn't get asked for this, (skipped this step)...

while i don't think it matters, if you get it "exactly" right, it can help speed things up... we got thru very quickly (for our office)...

double check with the country specific check list tho... it varies based on geography...

our originals were returned to us along with all other items we had submitted to prove our relationship...

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
chelley said:
our originals were returned to us along with all other items we had submitted to prove our relationship...
Did they mail the originals back to you, or did they give them to you when your spouse went to pick up the passport? And if they mailed them, was it to your address in CAnada, or your spouse's address in Jamaica?
I'm asking because the Accra, Ghana office has my original marriage certificate, and I'm afraid if they try to mail it back to my husband's address in Nigeria, it will be lost - the postal service isn't exactly reliable there.

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
we got them when we went to pick up the passport... it was all in the pre-prepared envelope that had the info for the PR visa...

i imagine if they mail out one's passport, it would be included in that mailing...

we had another copy of our marriage certificate (you get two if you are married in jamaica, guess they figure you may need them lol).. i made a colour photocopy of the hubby's birth certificate in case it got misplaced (you can order them online and when you do you get 6, so i guess if it did, we'd never be in the loss for a bc again!)

jade

Star Member
Apr 6, 2009
Do we need to put 4 pictures each of our family members even if they are not included in the application for sponsorship and application for permanent residence? Please help. I already glued their pictures in IMM 0008 form. Do I just put my 4 pictures in a separate small envelope and not glue it on the form?

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
Jade, the pictures are only for the applicant and ACCOMPANYING family members (like a spouse or dependent child) you don't need pictures for the applicants parents, brothers, etc.

Don't stick the photo on IMM0088, just put them in an envelope and attach to the application.

jade

Star Member
Apr 6, 2009
Really? Thanks! Finally gathered everything and ready to be sent away. I only have one problem though. My police clearance in HK was sent directly in Vegreville. I am currently living with my husband here in Alberta but I want to submit my application through outland. Perhaps Buffalo office. Now I wonder what to do with that if I could still do outland application. It's troubling me. Does anyone know what to do with that? I only have the receipt though. I don't wanna do inland because they say it takes a long time to know the result.

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
jade...

did you originally indicate that you were filing inland? i'm assuming you haven't filed yet... it's not too late to change it if you haven't physically sent out the application (you'll need to make sure you have filled out the right forms before you send to mississauga, then notify your processing office where the police reports are in the application (they will hopefully sort it out, but you might want to followup)... as far as choosing the country to apply from, you can only apply from your homeland country or a country you have resided in for more than 1 year (i believe most recently)... if your other half isn't coming directly from US, then it sounds like your application will need to go thru Hong Kong... it's not a huge issue, unless they call an interview, in which case your other half will need to make that appt, in Hong Kong...

if you have sent the application and wish to change from inland to outland, i believe you will need to withdraw it and refile... no huge loss except for processing fee and time taken, but not the ideal situation.. i don't believe there is any way to switch an in process application from inland to outland...

michaelab

May 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2010
AOR Received.
3-09-2010
File Transfer...
27-07-2010 (to Detroit 15/09/10)
Med's Done....
27-05-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
15-10-2010 (arrived 01-11-2010)
LANDED..........
23-12-2010
I have children that are not accompanying with me to Canada (but included in the application as unaccompanying dependents) and I am sending the pictures in since I was not sure what to do. I thought its better just in case.

bobshynoswife said:
Jade, the pictures are only for the applicant and ACCOMPANYING family members (like a spouse or dependent child) you don't need pictures for the applicants parents, brothers, etc.

Don't stick the photo on IMM0088, just put them in an envelope and attach to the application.

jade

Star Member
Apr 6, 2009
Hi Chelley! Nope I didn't file yet. I'm planning to send it next week. Thanks for the advise.

jade

Star Member
Apr 6, 2009
What is the address of the Immigration centre in Missisuaga where I can send my application to? Anyone? :-[