+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ordering Notes: Privacy Act or Access to Info Act?

KandyK

Feb 9, 2017
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
App. Filed.......
13-03-2017
Doc's Request.
O4-04-2017
AOR Received.
28-03-2017
File Transfer...
05/10/2017
Med's Request
19/07/2017
Med's Done....
03/08/2017
LANDED..........
10/19/2017
so why would anyone want to order through ATIP for $5 when you can order it for free through Privacy Act?

It's kind of too late for me (I hope we have ordered our last set of notes before we get PPR), but maybe useful for others!
Yea im not sure. I would go with free option. But the site says the free one is for people inside canada. Citizens, PR or any individuals inside Canada. It's a bit confusing i find.

HeyKenGuy

Mar 10, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Manila
App. Filed.......
04/04/2017
Doc's Request.
n/a
AOR Received.
04/27/2017
File Transfer...
06/01/2017
Med's Request
05/01/2017
Med's Done....
05/04/2017:Meds Passed 05/12/2017
so why would anyone want to order through ATIP for $5 when you can order it for free through Privacy Act?
you can only order through Privacy act if your'e a Canadian citizen

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Just to update here since some people were wondering about the Privacy Act... the reason there is a difference is because you can only order notes through the Privacy Act if the PA is present in Canada. You don't have to be a Canadian citizen, you just have to be present in the country. If the PA is not in Canada, then the notes cannot be ordered via the Privacy Act, they have to be ordered through ATIP for $5. However, if the PA is in Canada, they can order through the Privacy Act for free.

I'm American, currently in Canada while my application is processing, I requested notes via the Privacy Act a week ago and just received a call today from IRCC verifying that I am currently present in Canada. They confirmed I am and are now going to proceed with processing my request.

Reactions: starnaenae

majesty

Feb 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
25-01-2017
AOR Received.
23-02-2017 (AOR 1); 26-05-2017 (AOR2)
File Transfer...
13/03/2017
Med's Done....
30-07-2016 (Passed)
Just to update here since some people were wondering about the Privacy Act... the reason there is a difference is because you can only order notes through the Privacy Act if the PA is present in Canada. You don't have to be a Canadian citizen, you just have to be present in the country. If the PA is not in Canada, then the notes cannot be ordered via the Privacy Act, they have to be ordered through ATIP for $5. However, if the PA is in Canada, they can order through the Privacy Act for free.

I'm American, currently in Canada while my application is processing, I requested notes via the Privacy Act a week ago and just received a call today from IRCC verifying that I am currently present in Canada. They confirmed I am and are now going to proceed with processing my request.
So you ordered the notes yourself and you are the PA?

Is this different from the sponsor ordering through the privacy act as 2 other people here ordered them and said they got them same as through ATIP and they didn't ask them that their spouse was in Canada?

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018

Is this different from the sponsor ordering through the privacy act as 2 other people here ordered them and said they got them same as through ATIP and they didn't ask them that their spouse was in Canada?
It sounds like a goof-up on IRCC's part if a sponsor was able to order through both ATIP and Privacy Act and their spouse was not in Canada. This is from the IRCC site: "Note: Personal information which belongs to an individual who is not a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada or currently living in Canada must be requested under the Access to Information Act." Privacy Act only works if the PA is in Canada. The sponsor can still request on behalf of the PA via the Privacy Act, but the PA still needs to be in Canada in order for them to do so. That's my understanding, anyway!

Reactions: Ace...!

majesty

Feb 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
25-01-2017
AOR Received.
23-02-2017 (AOR 1); 26-05-2017 (AOR2)
File Transfer...
13/03/2017
Med's Done....
30-07-2016 (Passed)
It sounds like a goof-up on IRCC's part if a sponsor was able to order through both ATIP and Privacy Act and their spouse was not in Canada. This is from the IRCC site: "Note: Personal information which belongs to an individual who is not a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada or currently living in Canada must be requested under the Access to Information Act." Privacy Act only works if the PA is in Canada. The sponsor can still request on behalf of the PA via the Privacy Act, but the PA still needs to be in Canada in order for them to do so. That's my understanding, anyway!
That makes sense!

steph_2015

Star Member
Jan 12, 2015
thx though

I was able to order my wifes with no charge using the privacy act
Hello HeyKey,

When you applied for the Privacy Act for your wife. Was your wife abroad (not in Canada) and the principal applicant? I am asking because I applied for my brother by uploading his consent and submitting on his behalf. He is not in Canada and is the principal applicant. Do you think I should apply for the ATIP instead?

Pls do let me know, thanks
SW

steph_2015

Star Member
Jan 12, 2015

Hello,

Were you able to find the answer?
I applied for my brother by uploading his consent and submitting on his behalf. He is not in Canada and is the principal applicant. Do you think I should apply for the ATIP instead?

Pls do let me know, thanks
SW