SA: 27-10-2015
Passport Req..
AIP: 17-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
DM: 17-01-2016
LANDED..........
12-02-2016
John and Huong said:
Hi, everybody. I'm new member here. Thanks for all information provided.
I'm Canadian and current live in Canada, my wife was Vietnamese and live in Vietnam. I try to order GCMS note online asking for note of my wife's immigration (Not mine sponsorship). My wife
is not pr or citizen and she is not in Canada. The CIC site allow me apply under privacy act but I just worry after 30 days they will tell me that since my wife is not pr or citizen and she is not in Canada, I can not ask her information under privacy act, that will waste one month of time. Anybody have experience of this? Thanks in advance.
I really feel that you can use Privacy act only for your (sponsor's) part of info. If you want to get your wife's file, you'll have to use Access to Information Act:

Note: Personal information which belongs to an individual who is not a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada or currently living in Canada must be requested under the Access to Information Act.

Again, this is just my opinion based on the information form the cic website. I hope more experienced people can guide you better.

Feb 28, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2015
AOR Received.
09-09-2015
File Transfer...
13-10-2015
Med's Done....
13-05-2015
Interview........
24-02-2016
lighty_j said:
There is no difference between the notes ordered under different acts. However, if you order only sponsors/applicants part, the notes will be different (this again don't depend on the act you're using)
Actually I'm trying to order note for my wife's application. My part as sponsor doesn't have any issue.
But she is not Canadian citizen or PR, and she live outside of Canada. So even I did submitted the request
and get a confirm number. I still worry after a month, they will tell me I need to apply under access to information act.
For now just wait, or may be I should order note again under access to information act and don't wait.
Any suggestion?

PeacefulMan

Star Member
May 2, 2017
Same site. When the system asks you under which law/act are you ordering the notes, you have an option to use Privacy Act or Access to information act. If you use the first one, it is free, for the second one you need to pay 5 dol. But the problem is that the Privacy act is applicable only if you are a Canadian citizen, pr or are currently in Canada. Here is the link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/atip/requests-personal.asp

I confirm what you said, I selected "Privacy act" and never paid anything. I did it a first time and was asking for the "sponsor's" file updates few months ago and just did it a second time now but this time trying to ask for the PA file update. Last time it took about a couple weekds to get it by email. expecting the same waiting time this time!.
PS: I applied to sponsor wife outland - Oct 2018. Medical done but silent after that.