+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Order of procedures for new PRs-SIN, healthcard, opening bank, getting sim card

Bliss15

Sep 19, 2021
I would like to ask your advice on the order of getting things done like obtaining SIN, healthcard, opening bank, getting sim card and others. We will be landing in Saskatchewan by the last quarter of the year and I would like to arrange these procedures because some needs documents that can only be obtained from other. Thank you.

matteosc

Apr 6, 2020
I would like to ask your advice on the order of getting things done like obtaining SIN, healthcard, opening bank, getting sim card and others. We will be landing in Saskatchewan by the last quarter of the year and I would like to arrange these procedures because some needs documents that can only be obtained from other. Thank you.
I would recommend to get SIN first. Having it makes simpler to open a bank account (not all banks will open one without SIN), apply for healthcare etc. It will also be required if you find a job, so I would do this first. You can go in person to Service Canada, preferably booking an appointment beforehand, and you will walk out of there with your SIN.

Applying for healthcard and opening a bank account would be my next steps. You will be eligible for health coverage after a certain amount of time from landing, so it is not super-urgent, but it is better to get it out of the way. Having a bank account is really helpful for things like renting a place, paying bills and also get a SIM card.

Reactions: Bliss15

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
I think you should first of all get rest. Then walk in to Service Canada for SIN(depending upon the situation at that time) or make an appointment. Then once you get it go to registry for health card which will take approx 4 weeks to turn in your mailbox. Then go to the bank for opening a bank account. Get a place to live with these docs. Apply for internet ( it also takes a while to set up, in my case it took 1 month). As it would be difficult without wifi. Phone plans are quite expensive in Canada. Oh I forgot one of the intial step get a sim. Look for jobs. Sorry I want to say enjoy Canada as well but it would be snow everywhere intially you would enjoy but would get bored afterwards. Don't bring too much warm clothes ( as they don't work until and unless they are -30 degree or above cold withstanding). Intially go to walmart for staple things but dony get clothes or shoes from there as they are not much long lasting. Afterwards when you will get familar with the area you will get to know more grocery shops. I can be wrong in these facts and sorry if I posted too much. Congrats once again.

Reactions: Bliss15

Bliss15

Sep 19, 2021
I would recommend to get SIN first. Having it makes simpler to open a bank account (not all banks will open one without SIN), apply for healthcare etc. It will also be required if you find a job, so I would do this first. You can go in person to Service Canada, preferably booking an appointment beforehand, and you will walk out of there with your SIN.

Applying for healthcard and opening a bank account would be my next steps. You will be eligible for health coverage after a certain amount of time from landing, so it is not super-urgent, but it is better to get it out of the way. Having a bank account is really helpful for things like renting a place, paying bills and also get a SIM card.

Thank you for getting into detail. I will take note all of that.

Bliss15

Sep 19, 2021
I think you should first of all get rest. Then walk in to Service Canada for SIN(depending upon the situation at that time) or make an appointment. Then once you get it go to registry for health card which will take approx 4 weeks to turn in your mailbox. Then go to the bank for opening a bank account. Get a place to live with these docs. Apply for internet ( it also takes a while to set up, in my case it took 1 month). As it would be difficult without wifi. Phone plans are quite expensive in Canada. Oh I forgot one of the intial step get a sim. Look for jobs. Sorry I want to say enjoy Canada as well but it would be snow everywhere intially you would enjoy but would get bored afterwards. Don't bring too much warm clothes ( as they don't work until and unless they are -30 degree or above cold withstanding). Intially go to walmart for staple things but dony get clothes or shoes from there as they are not much long lasting. Afterwards when you will get familar with the area you will get to know more grocery shops. I can be wrong in these facts and sorry if I posted too much. Congrats once again.

Thank you for these. Yes to rest, after a long travel. It's great that you've mentioned about the quality of walmart winter clothes, I might be tempted to buy one. Do we get the sim immediately upon applying?

matteosc

Apr 6, 2020
Thank you for these. Yes to rest, after a long travel. It's great that you've mentioned about the quality of walmart winter clothes, I might be tempted to buy one. Do we get the sim immediately upon applying?
Yes, you should get the sim immediately. I personally stayed here for several months without one and I survived by using cafe's Wi-Fi, but I have to say that having a properly working smartphone is very useful.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
You are very welcome. Yes you can get a sim immediately. But unlike other countries you can get a sim from dealers only like Bell, Freedom, Rogers and not from fuel stations or grocery shops. So once you reach here Google for Bell, Freedom or Rogers dealers near me and go for it.