+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Order of getting new Job, selling house, etc.

aquakej

Aug 16, 2018
I'm not sure what order things need to be done in....for example.....when do you try to get a job in Canada? Do you secure the job first, and THEN submit your Express Entry? It looks awesome on your Express Entry application to have a job lined up, but are you even allowed to apply for jobs in Canada without any kind of immigration paperwork? Would you have to get a work visa and then get the job and then apply for Express Entry?

Also, we own our home in the USA. When would we want to sell it and move? Obviously I wouldn't want to have to pay for two mortgages at once, so we need to figure out a clear timeline. Once you get accepted for immigration, how long do you have to move? I wouldn't want to sell my house before getting accepted.

Thanks for any clarification.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Most USA based EE folks get sufficient points without job offer. General trend is to apply for EE, get PR and then
a) start looking for job and move once job offer is in hand OR
b) start looking for job 4 weeks before hard move date. Continue looking job after move

You will get plenty of time to move. You will get 6-9 months after COPR to finish landing formalities and then another 2-3 years to finally move. Remember you need to stay in Canada only for every 2 out of 5 years to meet residency obligation.

Last edited:
Reactions: northern sunshine

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Most USA based EE folks get sufficient points without job offer. General trend is to apply for EE, get PR and then
a) start looking for job and move once job offer is in hand OR
b) start looking for job 4 weeks before hard move date. Continue looking job after move

You will get plenty of time to move. You will get 6-9 months after COPR to finish landing formalities and then another 2-3 years to finally move. Remember you need to stay in Canada only for every 2 out of 5 years to meet residency obligation.
You don't get 6-9 months to complete landing formalities. You have one year from your medical so it depends on the individual. Some only have a month or two. This is easily solved by doing a soft landing.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
You don't get 6-9 months to complete landing formalities. You have one year from your medical so it depends on the individual. Some only have a month or two. This is easily solved by doing a soft landing.
User mentioned Express Entry in first post and based on that I mentioned 6-9 months assuming that he/she will get COPR via EE 3-6 months after medical submissions.