+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Options to switch jobs in BC without having an open work permit or PR

jd13

Star Member
Nov 11, 2018
Context
  • Moved to Canada, Vancouver from US on work permit which allows me to work for only a single employer. Has been 1 year since the move.
  • Old employer now willing to provide remote work from Canada. I have to manage work authorization by myself. Old Employer has office in Toronto.
  • I'm in tech and don't have a PR yet.
  • Is there any way I can start with my old employer from Vancouver?
Some options I can think of
  • Apply for Tech pilot BC PNP from current employer wait out N months before to join old employer. This can take probably 6+ months.
  • Somehow get an open work permit, which allows me to work, in Vancouver, for employer from Toronto office.
  • Pack-up and move to Toronto. I really don't want to do this.
Is there a good solution for this?

TL;DR. Old employer from US is allowing remote work from Toronto. I don't have PR or open work permit. I want to remain in Vancouver and somehow start work for Employer in Toronto

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Context
  • Moved to Canada, Vancouver from US on work permit which allows me to work for only a single employer. Has been 1 year since the move.
  • Old employer now willing to provide remote work from Canada. I have to manage work authorization by myself. Old Employer has office in Toronto.
  • I'm in tech and don't have a PR yet.
  • Is there any way I can start with my old employer from Vancouver?
Some options I can think of
  • Apply for Tech pilot BC PNP from current employer wait out N months before to join old employer. This can take probably 6+ months.
  • Somehow get an open work permit, which allows me to work, in Vancouver, for employer from Toronto office.
  • Pack-up and move to Toronto. I really don't want to do this.
Is there a good solution for this?

TL;DR. Old employer from US is allowing remote work from Toronto. I don't have PR or open work permit. I want to remain in Vancouver and somehow start work for Employer in Toronto
So you are on a closed work permit for a Canadian employer but want to work for past employer with an office in Toronto. Have you applied for PR?

- Tech Pilot: If current employer is willing to sponsor your PR and give you full time job with no end date, then it is an option. You must work for that employer for many months until you get PR.
- You are not eligible for an open work permit.
- If you move to Toronto, you don’t have a work permit either.

jd13

Star Member
Nov 11, 2018
I haven't applied for PR yet, Current employer not willing to apply until one year has passed.
Can my new Employer in Toronto apply for a work permit and I don't have to move?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I haven't applied for PR yet, Current employer not willing to apply until one year has passed.
Can my new Employer in Toronto apply for a work permit and I don't have to move?
Your new employer can apply for a LMIA and then you apply for a closed work permit. You can work remotely.

jd13

Star Member
Nov 11, 2018
Yes. that's the option I wasn't sure about. Thanks for the input. I appreciate.
New employer cannot help with BC PNP right?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes. that's the option I wasn't sure about. Thanks for the input. I appreciate.
New employer cannot help with BC PNP right?
Your new employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can get a new closed work permit.

If you switch to your new employer, they you can't apply under BC PNP given the employer is based in Ontario.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thankts scyllia. Seems like I cannot go through any PNP route :(
If you go with the new employer, then you could relocate to Ontario and see if one of the Ontario PNPs is an option.

jd13

Star Member
Nov 11, 2018
- Yea, that's a hard one. Don't want to switch locations again. Just started settling in Vancouver
- I guess Canadian experience class in another option for me?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
- Yea, that's a hard one. Don't want to switch locations again. Just started settling in Vancouver
- I guess Canadian experience class in another option for me?
That's of course a personal choice, although it's possible you may end up having to be flexible on that depending on how high a priority it is to secure PR.

CEC will be an option once you have a full year of work experience in Canada. Whether you are selected will of course depend on what the scores are at that time. Scores have been low the last year and a half due to COVID and separate CEC draws. However it's unknown how long this will continue. If they go back to combined FSW/CEC draws like previously, you'll want to have a score of 470+ to have a decent chance of being selected. So that's the dice roll there.

Or just stick with your current employer and go through BC PNP eventually.