+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Options to stay in Canada after IEC Working Holiday Visa expires

Brendon1984

Dec 3, 2018
Hi,

I am from New Zealand and on a 23 month IEC Working Holiday Visa. It does not run out till Jan 2020 but in order to stay in country longer/ get PR I need to get thr ball rolling.

I am currently in my field of Tech Support which I am told I will need to work for 15 months here as I worked it for 9 back home..it falls in a NOC class I believe.

Anyway, I don't want to work in this field and I'm told that I cant work in any other as I would not have enough time before my permit expires. I dont have any other " Skilled" work. The other option is to study but I looked at that option and I found that if it was a degree or bachelor etc ie at UBC in Vancouver I would be looking at $40.000 for the first year...surely that cant be right..I am in international student but still...

Are there any other options to get PR here other than working in my "skilled" role or to study?

Thanks in advance

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi,
I am from New Zealand and on a 23 month IEC Working Holiday Visa. It does not run out till Jan 2020 but in order to stay in country longer/ get PR I need to get thr ball rolling.

I am currently in my field of Tech Support which I am told I will need to work for 15 months here as I worked it for 9 back home..
You have been told a lot of falsehoods. To qualify under the CEC class, you need one year of in-Canada full-time work experience (52 weeks, full-time is 30 or more hours worked per week).

Unfortunately, having only 9 months of employment experience back home may not be helpful, as you would need a minimum of 1 year to gain points.

it falls in a NOC class I believe.
All occupations have an NOC classification (well, there are a few that don't fit very well, but...) The key point is that you have to have an NOC level O, A, or B for the occupation to be considered "skilled" and to qualify for one of the express entry programs.

You need to identify the NOC that has a good fit with your job duties and responsibilities (not job title), but "tech support" is often NOC 2282. There are other possibilities, but would need to know your job duties and responsibilities to go further. You also have to look at the lead statement of the NOC.
http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/ProfileQuickSearch.aspx?val=2&val1=2282&ver=16&val65=technical support

Anyway, I don't want to work in this field and I'm told that I cant work in any other as I would not have enough time before my permit expires.
??? Why not? There is no requirement in the CEC program that all of your experience be with a single employer, or in a single NOC.

I dont have any other " Skilled" work. The other option is to study but I looked at that option and I found that if it was a degree or bachelor etc ie at UBC in Vancouver I would be looking at $40.000 for the first year...surely that cant be right..I am in international student but still...
Sad but true. Of course there are other colleges and and universities, but you have to want it.

The first step would be to see if you are eligible for express entry (or will be soon, as soon as you finish 1 year of employment).
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html