Dec 24, 2015
Lahore
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
06-02-2017
I would like to inquire about options on expiry of Open PGWP. I would still be employed at the time of expiry of my work permit in November.
However I can't obtain LMIA and am facing significant delay in arranging documents (IELTS and ECA) for express entry.
Can I apply for extension in my work permit ?
Can I apply for Temporary Resident Visa ? If Yes, Can I continue to work with my employer on TRV ?

I shall be grateful if someone could please share from personal experience and share relevant official links.

Regards!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I would like to inquire about options on expiry of Open PGWP. I would still be employed at the time of expiry of my work permit in November.
However I can't obtain LMIA and am facing significant delay in arranging documents (IELTS and ECA) for express entry.
Can I apply for Temporary Resident Visa ? If Yes, Can I continue to work with my employer on TRV ?

I shall be grateful if someone could please share from personal experience and share relevant official links.

Regards!
No extensions for PGWPs.

You can apply to change your status to visitor. You CAN'T work after your PGWP expires.

alishanpwc

Star Member
Dec 24, 2015
Lahore
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
06-02-2017
No extensions for PGWPs.

You can apply to change your status to visitor. You CAN'T work after your PGWP expires.
Thanks for response. Can I apply for Study Permit upon getting admission in a University program while I am in Canada before expiry of PGWP ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for response. Can I apply for Study Permit upon getting admission in a University program while I am in Canada before expiry of PGWP ?
If you have acceptance to a school and $25,000 in funds, sure, you can apply. If approved, you still wouldn't be able to work after your PGWP expires until you start studying and at that point, only 20 hours/week.

indianstudent96

May 22, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CPC Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-06-2020
Doc's Request.
18-08-2020
AOR Received.
27-06-2020
Med's Done....
16-04-2020
Your options are pretty limited. There's no extension to your PGWP unless it was issued for a shorter period of time due to the expiration of your passport.

You will have to get another work permit (closed) with an LMIA from your employer. If you can't get an LMIA, you are out of luck.

Sure, you can change your status to visitor, but that means you are no longer authorized to work.

You can get another study permit as long as you get the approval but I don't see a point in it. You can get your PGWP only once in life. So, you are really delaying the inevitable by wasting a lot of money.

So, what are your options now to get PR without marrying a Canadian? Create an Express Entry profile with a competitive score (more than 470), get an ITA, submit your PR application, and then apply for BOWP before your current work permit expires. If you can't get a competitive CRS score, look for provinces nominating through their Express Entry streams. You can also try paper-based PNP streams which will get you PR for sure but takes longer than Express Entry. Good luck!

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......

Regards!
Unless you've applied for a BOWP, which means you would have had to receive an ITA, applied and received the AOR. There is nothing else you can do.

Your work permit should have a date by which you are supposed to leave the country.

Unless you've applied for PR, and applied for a BOWP (implied status) or have already been granted it, you have no options.

Yes, of course you can. You are actually allowed to hold a work and a study permit simultaneously.

However. being May, I don't think you will be able to get admission in a program with such short notice... University programs usually have deadlines for application on or before February.

Your best hope would be apply for January intake which most programs don't offer.

Last edited: