+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Options of Immigration to Québec

Chiolope

Apr 12, 2016
Hi, could anyone help me on my situation? I work for a company, let's call it XYZ. Worked for them in Europe, got transferred, that's why I am in Québec.
  • Arrived with Young Professionals in 2016
  • Temporary Foreign Worker Program (LMIA) since 2017 - June 2019
My spouse (she has her PR since a year) and I are common-in-law since a few weeks. My French is good (B2), however I failed the TEFAQ and can't apply for CSQ.

Solution 1) If my spouse would sponsor me, could I continue to work for XYZ? If yes, could I keep my current RAMQ status?

Solution 2) Could company XYZ (again) ask for an extension of my current visa?

Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

timbitpep

Jan 20, 2019
NY
Category........
FAM
unfortunately, she hasn't had PR long enough to sponsor you. (edited to reflect information found below) --- there is only a time limit required if YOUR sponsor was previously sponsored as a spouse/common-law/etc within the past 5 years. so as long as that's not the case, it should be okay!

I wish that I had an answer for the other questions.

Last edited:

Chiolope

Apr 12, 2016
Hi, thanks for your answer. I don't think that's true. There is no restriction mentioned regarding the duration of her being a permanent resident. As far as I can see, this is not part of the requirements.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/eligibility.html#who-can-sponsor

The only requirement I see is this, and she got her PR already:

Who can’t sponsor their spouse, partner or child...
your permanent residence application is still in process
  • You must have permanent resident status at the time you submit your sponsorship application.

timbitpep

Jan 20, 2019
NY
Category........
FAM
Hi, thanks for your answer. I don't think that's true. There is no restriction mentioned regarding the duration of her being a permanent resident. As far as I can see, this is not part of the requirements.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/eligibility.html#who-can-sponsor

The only requirement I see is this, and she got her PR already:

Who can’t sponsor their spouse, partner or child...
your permanent residence application is still in process
  • You must have permanent resident status at the time you submit your sponsorship application.
ah, I found where I thought it was a time frame until someone could sponsor! It only applies if the person sponsoring was previously sponsored as a spouse/etc within the past 5 years. it's in IM1344E, page 2 question 5.

so as long as they weren't sponsored as a spouse, they can sponsor you. :)

timbitpep

Jan 20, 2019
NY
Category........
FAM
Phheeww, I just freaked out for a second.. :) Thanks for confirming
sorry to panic you! this is one of those cases where I'm THRILLED to be wrong! I just remembered coming across the information about the 5 year period and I must have thought it applied to everyone! it doesn't- which is awesome. :)