+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Options left after rejection due to palgiarism?

ironhorse777

Oct 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-06-2014
IELTS Request
08-11-2014
File Transfer...
16-06-2014
Med's Request
03-06-2014
Med's Done....
03-06-2014
Passport Req..
13-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-06-2014
LANDED..........
Not yet.
sharjeel91 said:
If he really copied it then should forget Canada, but he didn't its a coincidence then he should tell university about this, If he has wrote his SOP he can easily justify it, I mean why he wrote it, where he get the information, and honestly if he cant write two pages by himself, he better don't apply for Canadian university,,
Well said. How can universities trust a guy who cannot even come up with a single page full of words about himself and goals? What that dude did is so wrong!

ironhorse777

Oct 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-06-2014
IELTS Request
08-11-2014
File Transfer...
16-06-2014
Med's Request
03-06-2014
Med's Done....
03-06-2014
Passport Req..
13-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-06-2014
LANDED..........
Not yet.

Neez

Star Member
Feb 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Come on brothers, easy on this poor guy.

The problem is, a lot of schools especially in 3rd world countries do not consider plagiarism as an offense. I had a friend from Tunisia who told me that back in university in his country, he used to do a lot of his papers and assignments with the aid of Wikipedia, and his teacher knew that and gave him good grades actually. He said the teachers there evaluate your work as well as your ability to look for things on the internet and know what to choose to write and what not to choose. So, in some places it is actually considered a good thing.

However, in Canada it is considered a serious offense and this is understandable, especially with something like a SOP, ideas are supposed to be representing your own goals and what you trying to achieve in the future and not those of someone else.

Anyway, since Canadian universities share the names of students who submitted plagiarized applications, you can still apply to a College or a Vocational School.
Will you be rejected ? You will never know unless you try, so you might as well try.
Good luck

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
I honestly don't know if universities share this level of information. Academic misconduct, yes -- if you take a class and plagiarize a paper, your name will be put on a bad list. College applications, I'm not sure. In some ways, it wouldn't be fair -- the academic penalties for plagiarism come after students sign codes of conduct, are warned by professors, and given the opportunity to understand the consequences.

Personally, I would ask the University who rejected you. Tell them you didn't realize the severity of this action in Canada, that SOPs are less common where you come from, and that you want to know if you have been rejected and blackballed throughout Canada, or just rejected at one place.

Neez

Star Member
Feb 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@on-hold

I don't know how he will be able to claim that he didn't know the consequences of plagiarism especially that the university of Regina has a whole paragraph about this on their website for international students, I mean it is right there, in the exact page from where you're supposed to apply.
Link: uregina.ca/gradstudies/future-students/international-students/index.html

sharjeel91

Champion Member
Oct 2, 2013
App. Filed.......
09/09/2013
Neez said:
@ on-hold

I don't know how he will be able to claim that he didn't know the consequences of plagiarism especially that the university of Regina has a whole paragraph about this on their website for international students, I mean it is right there, in the exact page from where you're supposed to apply.
Link: uregina.ca/gradstudies/future-students/international-students/index.html
hahaha exactly,, it like after robbery u say I didn't know its a crime that's not gonna work,, but its not necessary that if uni of regina thinks he copied a SOP the other UNI will just believe it, I agree the chances are slim but every uni has its own policy may be they neglect this and review his case neutrally, anyway how much it costs to apply 50dollars or little more, I think should apply in other universities,,,

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
I lived in Thailand for many years -- people there don't write SOPs, and the whole idea of original work or choice is not emphasized as much. Essay writing is not taught in schools, and when my wife came here and had to do so for her ESL classes, she didn't understand what an essay is or what its point might be. Different places have different standards. Asian universities usually have entrance exams that tell you where you go and what you study, it's not unusual for an Asian student to not understand the unique value that Western institutions put on a unique narrative of purpose.

Depending on what he studies -- e.g. engineering -- this may be close to the last essay he writes in his life. It may be nearly the first, and it's unfortunate that it has such an effect on his chances. I don't think copying it is contemptible, though neither do I think it's admirable; what's too bad about it is that SOP is basically a fairly perfunctory exercise that shouldn't bring about such severe consequences. An SOP represents nothing more than what you think you might do at one point in your life, there is nothing binding about it and no way to determine if anyone is telling the 'truth' at all.

It's not certain that what he did was 'academic' fraud -- because he's not a student. It's not certain that what he did is plagiarism -- because he's passing someone else's words to describe himself, and only he knows how accurate they are. Of all the academic crimes one could commit, copying a Statement of Purpose is easily among the weakest. I don't see the point in making fun of this guy, I'd suggest that he talk to the school and find out if he's been blacklisted or not, and then that will let him determine what to do next.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Neez said:
Come on brothers, easy on this poor guy.

The problem is, a lot of schools especially in 3rd world countries do not consider plagiarism as an offense. I had a friend from Tunisia who told me that back in university in his country, he used to do a lot of his papers and assignments with the aid of Wikipedia, and his teacher knew that and gave him good grades actually. He said the teachers there evaluate your work as well as your ability to look for things on the internet and know what to choose to write and what not to choose. So, in some places it is actually considered a good thing.
there is a huge difference between plagiarism and research and citing. You can quote wikipedia, books, articles in essays as long as you properly format the essay and cite your sources.

Plagiarism is a whole different ball game.
However, in Canada it is considered a serious offense and this is understandable, especially with something like a SOP, ideas are supposed to be representing your own goals and what you trying to achieve in the future and not those of someone else.

Anyway, since Canadian universities share the names of students who submitted plagiarized applications, you can still apply to a College or a Vocational School.
Will you be rejected ? You will never know unless you try, so you might as well try.
Good luck
Agreed!

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
I agree that it's too bad this happened -- U Regina did try to warn him. But that doesn't make it the worst thing in the world.

sharjeel91

Champion Member
Oct 2, 2013
App. Filed.......
09/09/2013
on-hold said:
I don't see the point in making fun of this guy
first of all no one is making fun of him because he couldn't write an SOP himself, he mentioned his friend while its his case, so I just told him its ok, these things can happen to anyone, and as I said yes its not good if u are rejected an admission due to plagiarism but its no like u r banned and ur changes are zero, if u add some information from somewhere u are required to give reference if u dont then its plagiarism, u cant use someone else words and sentences to describe urself, I don't know about rest of the world but in Canada its considered as serious offence... I am an engineering student and I have been warned if I commit plagiarism I will force to drop course and if I commit it again they will cancel my admission, believe me its very serious,,

singh11

Jan 23, 2014
sharjeel91 said:
I got same answer for u, nothing is ruined u can apply in other canadian universities, but chances are slim because most of the universities share info, but applying will cost u aroung 50 dollars then why not,,
Thanks sharjeel91,

I have applied to 2 other universities with Regina,so things could be messed up :( ...,but i had applied to one more university in BC later with re-written SOP after checking for plagiarism(about which i was not aware before,my bad luck).So should i keep some hope ? Should I communicate with at least this university regarding this issue or not ,though SOP is different.

I have 72%+ score throughout my studied and overall 7 bands in IELTS ,at least 6.5 in each n some IT industry experience too.

Or if they will simply see that a candidates SOP was faulty with some other university n simply reject my application without reviewing ?? :(

I request all Sen. members for suggestions.

Thanks

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Don't mention it to anyone, trust me on this. Just wait and see what happens -- if they accept you, I think there can be no further repercussions from this, no university would kick you out for prior plagiarism on an application elsewhere.

sharjeel91

Champion Member
Oct 2, 2013
App. Filed.......
09/09/2013
singh11 said:
Thanks sharjeel91,

I have applied to 2 other universities with Regina,so things could be messed up :( ...,but i had applied to one more university in BC later with re-written SOP after checking for plagiarism(about which i was not aware before,my bad luck).So should i keep some hope ? Should I communicate with at least this university regarding this issue or not ,though SOP is different.

I have 72%+ score throughout my studied and overall 7 bands in IELTS ,at least 6.5 in each n some IT industry experience too.

Or if they will simply see that a candidates SOP was faulty with some other university n simply reject my application without reviewing ?? :(

I request all Sen. members for suggestions.

Thanks
As I said in above comment that every uni had its own policy therefore there is no need to mention about rejection, and yeah universities do share info of students but that doesn't mean that u won't be able to get admission to any university, good luck btw which other universities u have applied,

pcachuks

Jul 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
04-03-2013
Med's Request
09-04-2014
Med's Done....
11-04-2014
Interview........
waved
VISA ISSUED...
16-05-2014
LANDED..........
Soon by God grace
if u don't get accepted , try colleges for PGD sure u will be accepted , u can try lambton , admission fee us 50 usd and doesn't take time to get response .

sharjeel91

Champion Member
Oct 2, 2013
App. Filed.......
09/09/2013
pcachuks said:
if u don't get accepted , try colleges for PGD sure u will be accepted , u can try lambton , admission fee us 50 usd and doesn't take time to get response .
NO study visa for college applicants from Pakistan,, waste of money,,