+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Options for working after current visa expires during inland PR application.

Dermot Barry

Oct 31, 2012
Hi I am looking to see if anyone has been or is in the same scenario I will find myself soon!? I have been in Canada working on an International Experience Class visa for 2 years and have just activated my 3rd year. I am going to apply for PR through the Canadian Experience Class and as of Dec 6th I will have the required 2 years experience working in Canada. I have all of my documentation ready and I am waiting for my Police cert and will send my forms the day after I reach the 2 year experience mark.

The issue I have is that as the wait times are 12-14 months for the Experience Class application (maybe longer?) and I have read there is no implied status with this visa, my current visa will run out before the PR application is complete. I have read conflicting things about implied status, applying for an extension to me current visa with my initial PR application etc....

I would like to know does anyone know what options I have. My job are willing to apply for an LMO and a temp visa. Can I apply for PR and at the same time apply for an LMO and get a temp worker visa? Is this allowed or is there a rule on applying for multiple visas? Or is there an option to extend my current IEC visa for the period that I wait. Or should I forget about PR for now and apply for a 2 year temp worker visa and then apply having got 2 years on the temp worker visa.

I am really just looking for what options I have and what would be the easiest. If anyone else has been in this position any advise would be much appreciated.

IrishinCanada

Star Member
Apr 13, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-07-2012
AOR Received.
21-08-2012
IELTS Request
IELTS Completed
Med's Request
01-05-2013
Med's Done....
07-05-2013 (Uploaded 21-05-2013)
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
COPR received on 7th June 2013
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received on 7th June 2013
LANDED..........
28-06-2013
Apply for your CEC residency, then get your employer to apply for the LMO well in advance of your IEC permit expiring. If you can get a positive opinion from the HRSDC, then just apply for a work permit online. If you're lucky enough, you'll get a work permit long enough to last you until they make a decision on your residency application.

Implied status is only for people who want to extend their work permit while their current work permit is already still valid. There is no such option during the PR process. Either you have a work permit, or you don't. Both the PR application and the work permit application are two completely seperate beasts.