+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Options for Moving "back to Canada

Simms34

Nov 27, 2018
So, I feel like my family's situation really isn't all *that* unique, but I've been unable to find any kind of article or help reference that might offer some guidance ... I'm hoping you fine folks here can shed some light.

I'm a dual Canada/US Citizen born and raised in Canada, but moved to the US for school at 20. Wife is a US Citizen only. Kids were both born in the US, but I applied for and received their Canadian citizenship papers years ago, so they are effectively dual as well.

As a family, we first moved to Canada in late '02. I sponsored my wife for PR status, which was granted in early '04. She was issued a regular SIN (doesn't start with 9) and worked for the rest of our time there. My career ended up taking us back to the US in 2006, so my wife wasn't a PR long enough to have applied for citizenship.

13 years later, our kids are grown, and my wife and I are considering moving back for a variety of reasons. As we would both like to work, I am interested in figuring out exactly what her status would be and what would be our best way forward, assuming we decide to proceed.

Other possibly relevant info: We've traveled to Canada 3-5 times a year since, to see family ... mostly via land crossings, occasionally by air. Never had any issues in either direction, but we both have always presented US Passports (I still don't actually possess a Canadian Passport). Our oldest is also now a Canadian resident, having moved there to live with my parents while she works and attends school. So there is one immediate family member already in the country.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
She has maintained her PR status since she has been living outside of Canada with a Canadian citizen spouse (you). Move over to the PR obligation section of the forum to discuss further. This is where you'll find the discussions on this topic.