+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

options after studying psychology

FassB

Sep 5, 2020
Hi! You can go to Canada job bank/indeed/LinkedIn to search for jobs related to psychology. You will find lots of options there. But as a graduate student in this field, I can tell you having a PhD in clinical psychology will get you the most jobs, compared to having a Master/PhD degree in other sub fields (e.g., social psy). Generally, the rank of how easy to get a job will be like this: PhD. Clinical Psy > PhD. others > MA. Clinical Psy > MA. others.

Having only a master degree CAN get you psychology jobs. Psychometrists, program/project manager, these kinds of jobs do not require a PhD degree. If you study social/health/educational psy, you are likely to have jobs in related settings such as school, NGOs, or health institudes. Certains jobs only hire PhD candidates, such as professors.

The career options really depends on what your specific field is and what your interest is ( academic or applied). No matter what option it is, the competition is tough.

Reactions: Urgonnabeokme

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
Hi! You can go to Canada job bank/indeed/LinkedIn to search for jobs related to psychology. You will find lots of options there. But as a graduate student in this field, I can tell you having a PhD in clinical psychology will get you the most jobs, compared to having a Master/PhD degree in other sub fields (e.g., social psy). Generally, the rank of how easy to get a job will be like this: PhD. Clinical Psy > PhD. others > MA. Clinical Psy > MA. others.

Having only a master degree CAN get you psychology jobs. Psychometrists, program/project manager, these kinds of jobs do not require a PhD degree. If you study social/health/educational psy, you are likely to have jobs in related settings such as school, NGOs, or health institudes. Certains jobs only hire PhD candidates, such as professors.

The career options really depends on what your specific field is and what your interest is ( academic or applied). No matter what option it is, the competition is tough.
i feel like every career field is competitive. When I compare it to the business field for example, to me there is a competition as well since there are many graduates from business related subjects.

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020

Hello,
It took me a long time to do a precise search on the regulations to be a psychologist and study options in canada. I came to the conclusion that counselling psychology is the best fit for me out of all. Because a masters degree is sufficient to be certified and it is kind of close to being a clinical psychologist since you can give therapy. However, it is also very competitive to get into a masters program in counselling i need at least a 3.7 GPA and 1-2 years of work experience. The thing that makes me anxious is not getting admitted, I feel like the admissions team would not be satisfied with my work experience and my undergrad degree since they will not be based on canada. Do you know anyone that has been working as a counsellor in canada? or any int. student that has been admitted to a counselling post grad program?
thanks