+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Options after pgwp expires?

Kuku Joseph

May 15, 2021
I had completed 1 year pg diploma and got 1 year PGwp. After it expires can I apply for a open work permit or normal work permit?pls any one share all possibilities?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
No you are not eligible for an open work permit. If you have one year Canadian experience, you can apply for EE-CEC and hope for an invitation. Once your permit expires you stop working. If this isn’t an option, you need a LMIA from your employer and then a closed work permit.

Kuku Joseph

May 15, 2021
No you are not eligible for an open work permit. If you have one year Canadian experience, you can apply for EE-CEC and hope for an invitation. Once your permit expires you stop working. If this isn’t an option, you need a LMIA from your employer and then a closed work permit.
How long can i work on this closed work permit?
Is it easy to get?

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
How long can i work on this closed work permit?
Is it easy to get?
Not easy at all. Your employer has to apply for a LMIA. Pay $1000 and then prove no Canadian or PR could be hired. Few employers will go through the process because of the paperwork, cost and they can hire someone locally. The process takes months. Then you apply for a closed work permit. Most likely a year. That takes months to process too.

Reactions: Kuku Joseph

Kuku Joseph

May 15, 2021
Not easy at all. Your employer has to apply for a LMIA. Pay $1000 and then prove no Canadian or PR could be hired. Few employers will go through the process because of the paperwork, cost and they can hire someone locally. The process takes months. Then you apply for a closed work permit. Most likely a year. That takes months to process too.
Thank you for your response.