+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Option Selection in Level of Education

prishah

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Guys,

I am in Canada and standing on 419 score in CEC category plus my NOC 2173. 2 years field experience plus 1 year foreign work exp. IELTS band 6.5

QUE : yesterday, I have recently updated evaluation of my Bachelors to a Canadian equivalent is Bachelor's (Four years) Plus I already have Post Secondary Diploma (Two Years) from Canadian College. So do I need to choose drop-down option "Level of Education " section to this option"Two or more certificates, diplomas, or Degrees. One must three or more years" in both Bachelors and Diploma section? if not then which one is suppose to be.

Second thing is I already add ECA# number in my bachelor degree section and set "Level of Education " option ("Two or more certificates, diplomas, or Degrees. One must three or more years") in both Bachelors and Diploma field and then sign in and submit my application , but still score didn't update either. Am I mistake something?

Please guide me guys if you know about. Help is always appreciate in critical time.

God bless All!!

ntwkengg

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prishah said:
Any one have any idea about it?
hi shah,

pls select bachelors for ECA evaluated degree as per your eca report and select 2 or more degrees in your canadian certificate.

also when you transmit and submit info it takes mostly 1 day to change in my cic. so wait sometime.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The OP has a post secondary diploma. I'm not completely certain if that can be used to claim points for '2 or more...'. Having a post graduate degree/diploma/certificate in addition to a Bachelors degree is very different from having a post secondary diploma and Bachelors degree.

PK_11

Sep 18, 2014
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-03-2016
Doc's Request.
16-09-2016 (RPRF)
Nomination.....
01-02-2016
AOR Received.
12-04-2016
IELTS Request
Not Required
Med's Request
10-03-2017
Med's Done....
Waiting
Interview........
Not Reqd as of now
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
InLand Applicant
True, in case of college diploma not sure though candidate can select two or more diploma or degree.

ntwkengg

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asivad Anac said:
The OP has a post secondary diploma. I'm not completely certain if that can be used to claim points for '2 or more...'. Having a post graduate degree/diploma/certificate in addition to a Bachelors degree is very different from having a post secondary diploma and Bachelors degree.
yes sorry it should be post graduate certificate or degree. i was in a mood that shah has post graduate diploma.

please make sure this thing before selecting this option....

thanks

Sita1987

Star Member
Jun 9, 2015
New Delhi
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
03-11-2015
Med's Done....
08-11-2015
Passport Req..
30-03-2016
You have to select "two or more degree" options in both sections only then the scores will be updated. But please wait for 24-36 hours...at time this takes time.

Also as a counter argument to Asivad and others, I am certain Prishah can choose two or more degree option..
Excerpt from CIC website:

Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees.
Important notice: One must be for a program of three or more years.
ECA assessment results:

A three-year or more certificate, diploma, or degree

PLUS any of the results in the sections below (not including secondary/high school), or:

Post-Bachelor's Certificate
Post-undergraduate certificateFootnote 1
Post-Bachelor's Diploma
Post-undergraduate diplomaFootnote 1
Graduate Certificate
Graduate Certificate with a focus in [area of concentration]Footnote 1
Postgraduate certificate
Postgraduate Diploma
Graduate Diploma with a focus in [area of concentration]Footnote 1
Graduate diplomaFootnote 1
two-year Postgraduate Diploma, specializing in [name of discipline]
two-year Bachelor’s after degree with a focus in [area of concentration]Footnote 1
one-year Postgraduate Certificate in [name of discipline]
one-year of graduate study with a focus in [area of concentration]Footnote 1
Study Toward a Master's Degree
Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System (with spouse) 119
Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System (without spouse) 128
Federal Skilled Worker Program factor points (if this applies) 22
Bachelor’s degree or other programs (three or more years) at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute
Two-year degree, diploma or certificate from a program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute
ECA assessment results:

College Diploma
College Diploma (two years)
Diploma (two years)
Two-year diplomaFootnote 1
Two-year diploma in [name of discipline]
Secondary school diploma and diploma (two years)
Associate Degree
Associate of [Arts/Science] degree
Post-secondary Diploma with a focus in [area of concentration]Footnote 1
Two-year post-secondary Diploma with a focus in [area of concentration]Footnote 1
Two-year associate degreeFootnote 1
Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System (with spouse) 91
Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System (without spouse) 98
Federal Skilled Worker Program factor points (if this applies) 19
One-year degree, diploma or certificate from a program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute
Secondary school (high school diploma)

Since prishah's post-secondary diploma is a Canadian degree they need not get an ECA for it, however can definitely claim "two or more degree" option.

By the bye Asivad CONGRATULATIONS on your PR :) you have been of such a great help to so many on this forum..all the best for your life in Canada :)

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sita1987 said:
Also as a counter argument to Asivad and others, I am certain Prishah can choose two or more degree option..

Since prishah's post-secondary diploma is a Canadian degree they need not get an ECA for it, however can definitely claim "two or more degree" option.
I have heard this argument before and I wasn't completely convinced then or now. It seems to imply that someone with a post secondary diploma and a Bachelors degree is somehow better than someone else with a Bachelors & Masters degree which is collectively assessed as a single Bachelors.

I'll probably stay skeptical till someone with either of those options gets their eligibility confirmed by a province or CIC and reports that in the forum.

By the bye Asivad CONGRATULATIONS on your PR :) you have been of such a great help to so many on this forum..all the best for your life in Canada :)
Thank You! :)

warquezho

Oct 17, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am also looking in other post in this forum on what OTHER grounds can Two degree/diploma can be used. For my case, it is both Bachelor. I've already written to CSE and updated my profile. Will let you guys know on the outcome and hopefully we can put some conclusion in this confusion. One thing I do agree is that if both Bachelor and Masters or any multiple degrees were assessed by any assessing body in their summary as only a single Bachelor's degree, then definitely he/she can only choose Bachelors degree.

Sita1987

Star Member
Jun 9, 2015
New Delhi
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
03-11-2015
Med's Done....
08-11-2015
Passport Req..
30-03-2016
Asivad Anac said:
I have heard this argument before and I wasn't completely convinced then or now. It seems to imply that someone with a post secondary diploma and a Bachelors degree is somehow better than someone else with a Bachelors & Masters degree which is collectively assessed as a single Bachelors.

I'll probably stay skeptical till someone with either of those options gets their eligibility confirmed by a province or CIC and reports that in the forum.
The explanation to this Asivad is not every one with a post-secondary or even post-graduate degree (outside Canada) is getting the same equivalency in their ECA...infact one of my own relatives with a post-graduate diploma in management got the following assessment:

Canadian Equivalency Summary: Bachelor's degree (three years)

1. Bachelor of Commerce degree from India - Canadian equivalency: Bachelor's degree three years

2. Postgraduate diploma in management - Canadian equivalency: Comparable to executive management programs

So obviously he could not choose "two or more degree" option.
I have come across a number of other posts on this forum where people with post-graduate diplomas, certificates etc. from outside Canada were not issued the same equivalency in their ECA and many who do not even possess a ECA for it so can't claim any extra points for it. Hence they are not better or worse than Masters + Bachelors combo :)

Well that is all I can logically infer from all this. If the candidate has hired a immigration lawyer or consultant you are more than welcome to ask them for more advise. Better still you can send a CSE to CIC with your query as I did and interpret their answer. I am pasting the reply I got from CIC for everyone to see:

Question-DoNotReply-NePasRepondre to me
Aug 12
Dear Client,

Candidates who have two or more post-secondary program credentials would earn points in the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) for their highest level of education only. If the credentials are at the same level (e.g., two bachelor’s degrees), then candidates can select the appropriate level of education for “Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees” when completing their profile. CRS points for education are awarded only to those who have a Canadian credential or an educational credential assessment (ECA). Note that points will not be awarded to any educational program that is not completed or if no certificate, diploma or degree was awarded.

For example, a candidate with:

a bachelor’s degree from a non-Canadian university and a master’s degree from a Canadian university should choose the Master’s level of education in their profile. An ECA is not required for the bachelor’s degree as no points will be awarded for that degree.
a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree, both from non-Canadian universities, should choose the Master’s level of education. The master’s degree needs to have an ECA.
a one-year post-secondary diploma and a four-year bachelor’s degree, both from non-Canadian universities, should choose the “Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees” level of education. Both the diploma and the degree need to have an ECA.

To ensure that updates are saved correctly, consult these web pages: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=1005&t=29 and http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=1003&t=29

For next steps, refer our web page: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/pool.asp (see section, “Try to improve your score”)

Citizenship and Immigration Canada I Citoyenneté et Immigration Canada
www.cic.gc.ca

Also another excerpt from CIC website:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assessment.asp

Before you submit a profile, check the ECA conversion table to confirm that the result on your ECA report matches at least one of the assessment results listed. You can see how many points you would get for your foreign education under the CRS or the FSWP selection grid, based on the results of your report.

Designated organizations for ECAs
How to choose a designated organization
How to get an ECA
What your report means
The organization will give you an original report that will tell you:

whether your credentials are valid, and
if they are equal to a completed Canadian one.
If your assessment report shows that your completed foreign credential is equal to a completed Canadian one, you can include this information in your Express Entry profile. You will get points under the CRS for your highest credential found equal to a completed Canadian one.

You may be eligible to receive points for certain combinations of two post-secondary credentials (whether Canadian, foreign equivalent or a combination of both). If you are invited to apply for permanent residence, you will need to include your ECA reference number when you apply.

If your report shows that your credential is not equal to a completed Canadian credential as outlined in the conversion table:

This is totally my perception and understanding of the situation and information available at this point of time..can't vouch for it with certainty. And I would choose to believe this unless some one says he/she was rejected due to this (which I highly doubt)

warquezho

Oct 17, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sita1987 said:
The explanation to this Asivad is not every one with a post-secondary or even post-graduate degree (outside Canada) is getting the same equivalency in their ECA...infact one of my own relatives with a post-graduate diploma in management got the following assessment:

Canadian Equivalency Summary: Bachelor's degree (three years)

1. Bachelor of Commerce degree from India - Canadian equivalency: Bachelor's degree three years

2. Postgraduate diploma in management - Canadian equivalency: Comparable to executive management programs

So obviously he could not choose "two or more degree" option.
I have come across a number of other posts on this forum where people with post-graduate diplomas, certificates etc. from outside Canada were not issued the same equivalency in their ECA and many who do not even possess a ECA for it so can't claim any extra points for it. Hence they are not better or worse than Masters + Bachelors combo :)

Well that is all I can logically infer from all this. If the candidate has hired a immigration lawyer or consultant you are more than welcome to ask them for more advise. Better still you can send a CSE to CIC with your query as I did and interpret their answer. I am pasting the reply I got from CIC for everyone to see:

Question-DoNotReply-NePasRepondre to me
Aug 12
Dear Client,

Candidates who have two or more post-secondary program credentials would earn points in the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) for their highest level of education only. If the credentials are at the same level (e.g., two bachelor’s degrees), then candidates can select the appropriate level of education for “Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees” when completing their profile. CRS points for education are awarded only to those who have a Canadian credential or an educational credential assessment (ECA). Note that points will not be awarded to any educational program that is not completed or if no certificate, diploma or degree was awarded.

For example, a candidate with:

a bachelor’s degree from a non-Canadian university and a master’s degree from a Canadian university should choose the Master’s level of education in their profile. An ECA is not required for the bachelor’s degree as no points will be awarded for that degree.
a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree, both from non-Canadian universities, should choose the Master’s level of education. The master’s degree needs to have an ECA.
a one-year post-secondary diploma and a four-year bachelor’s degree, both from non-Canadian universities, should choose the “Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees” level of education. Both the diploma and the degree need to have an ECA.

To ensure that updates are saved correctly, consult these web pages: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=1005&t=29 and http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=1003&t=29

For next steps, refer our web page: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/pool.asp (see section, “Try to improve your score”)

Citizenship and Immigration Canada I Citoyenneté et Immigration Canada
www.cic.gc.ca

Also another excerpt from CIC website:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assessment.asp

Before you submit a profile, check the ECA conversion table to confirm that the result on your ECA report matches at least one of the assessment results listed. You can see how many points you would get for your foreign education under the CRS or the FSWP selection grid, based on the results of your report.

Designated organizations for ECAs
How to choose a designated organization
How to get an ECA
What your report means
The organization will give you an original report that will tell you:

whether your credentials are valid, and
if they are equal to a completed Canadian one.
If your assessment report shows that your completed foreign credential is equal to a completed Canadian one, you can include this information in your Express Entry profile. You will get points under the CRS for your highest credential found equal to a completed Canadian one.

You may be eligible to receive points for certain combinations of two post-secondary credentials (whether Canadian, foreign equivalent or a combination of both). If you are invited to apply for permanent residence, you will need to include your ECA reference number when you apply.

If your report shows that your credential is not equal to a completed Canadian credential as outlined in the conversion table:

This is totally my perception and understanding of the situation and information available at this point of time..can't vouch for it with certainty. And I would choose to believe this unless some one says he/she was rejected due to this (which I highly doubt)
Hi Sita1987,

Your post is very informative, haven't seen that red post with underline till now. Your email and reply to CIC is also what I am holding to pursue my application as I have no other choice to continue either.

Can I just ask your interpretation if in the report you get something like this:

CANADIAN EQUIVALENCY
Bachelor's degree (three years) and Bachelor's degree (four years)

Quoating the reply of CIC to you:

If the credentials are at the same level (e.g., two bachelor’s degrees), then candidates can select the appropriate level of education for “Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees” when completing their profile
I believe that this falls under "Two or more degrees/diploma/cert", what do you think? I just want to get your opinion, though I also emailed CSE about this.

By the way, saw your signature, did you get invited thru OINP or only thru your points? I remember you have an ECA of Bachelor and 1 year graduate, so did you claim "Two or more degrees" with that?

prishah

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks a ton awesome people , all of ur info were too informative.
I want to share something here as they have mentioned in "Level of Education" help Section ::::::

"To get the correct number of points, make sure you choose the answer that best reflects your case. For example:
If you have TWO Bachelor degrees, or one bachelor AND a two year college diploma, choose" Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees. One must be for a program of three or more years.
If you did not earn a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate, you may need to have your foreign education assessed by an agency approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. They must show that it is valid, and equal to a completed Canadian credential
."

Now my case is : I have Canadian Post Secondary Diploma (Two years) Note : which is not required evaluation PLUS
I have Bachelors Degree from India which I did evaluation and a Canadian equivalency Result is: "Bachelors (Four Years )"

Hence I have set option in "Level of Education" section "Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees. One must be three or more years" in both Post Secondary Diploma and Bachelor degree section Plus in bachelor degree section question :
"Level of education (Canadian equivalent) shown on Education Credential Assessment (ECA) report Your ECA report will tell you if your foreign education is equal to a completed Canadian degree, diploma or certificate. You must have the results of an ECA report to answer the question. If you are not sure what your result was, visit our website to understand what your ECA report results mean." , I have set "Bachelors degree OR three or more year program at University or College Bla Bla" since my ECA report says "Bachelors (Four Years)"

It's little confusing thing but I hope I did choose correct option on both field. My points still raised but still If I am doing something wrong for any of the selection then Please put your suggest here as more people have similar kind of issues too.

God Bless All

prishah

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sita1987 said:
You have to select "two or more degree" options in both sections only then the scores will be updated. But please wait for 24-36 hours...at time this takes time.

Excerpt from CIC website:

Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees.
Important notice: One must be for a program of three or more years.
ECA assessment results:

A three-year or more certificate, diploma, or degree

PLUS any of the results in the sections below (not including secondary/high school), or:

Post-Bachelor's Certificate
Post-undergraduate certificateFootnote 1
Post-Bachelor's Diploma
Post-undergraduate diplomaFootnote 1
Graduate Certificate
Graduate Certificate with a focus in [area of concentration]Footnote 1
Postgraduate certificate
Postgraduate Diploma
Graduate Diploma with a focus in [area of concentration]Footnote 1
Graduate diplomaFootnote 1
two-year Postgraduate Diploma, specializing in [name of discipline]
two-year Bachelor’s after degree with a focus in [area of concentration]Footnote 1
one-year Postgraduate Certificate in [name of discipline]
one-year of graduate study with a focus in [area of concentration]Footnote 1
Study Toward a Master's Degree
Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System (with spouse) 119
Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System (without spouse) 128
Federal Skilled Worker Program factor points (if this applies) 22
Bachelor’s degree or other programs (three or more years) at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute
Two-year degree, diploma or certificate from a program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute
ECA assessment results:

College Diploma
College Diploma (two years)
Diploma (two years)
Two-year diplomaFootnote 1
Two-year diploma in [name of discipline]
Secondary school diploma and diploma (two years)
Associate Degree
Associate of [Arts/Science] degree
Post-secondary Diploma with a focus in [area of concentration]Footnote 1
Two-year post-secondary Diploma with a focus in [area of concentration]Footnote 1
Two-year associate degreeFootnote 1
Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System (with spouse) 91
Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System (without spouse) 98
Federal Skilled Worker Program factor points (if this applies) 19
One-year degree, diploma or certificate from a program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute
Secondary school (high school diploma)

Thanks a ton Sita, Please correct me if did something wrong here for option selection :
I want to share something here as they have mentioned in "Level of Education" help Section ::::::

"To get the correct number of points, make sure you choose the answer that best reflects your case. For example:
If you have TWO Bachelor degrees, or one bachelor AND a two year college diploma, choose" Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees. One must be for a program of three or more years.
If you did not earn a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate, you may need to have your foreign education assessed by an agency approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. They must show that it is valid, and equal to a completed Canadian credential."

Now my case is : I have Canadian Post Secondary Diploma (Two years) Note : which is not required evaluation PLUS
I have Bachelors Degree from India which I did evaluation and a Canadian equivalency Result is: "Bachelors (Four Years )"

Hence I have set option in "Level of Education" section "Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees. One must be three or more years" in both Post Secondary Diploma and Bachelor degree section Plus in bachelor degree section another question :
"Level of education (Canadian equivalent) shown on Education Credential Assessment (ECA) report Your ECA report will tell you if your foreign education is equal to a completed Canadian degree, diploma or certificate. You must have the results of an ECA report to answer the question. If you are not sure what your result was, visit our website to understand what your ECA report results mean." , I have set "Bachelors degree OR three or more year program at University or College Bla Bla" since my ECA report says "Bachelors (Four Years)"

Is that correct Sita or not ?

Cheers!!!

RamsayBolton

Star Member
Oct 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prishah said:
Thanks a ton Sita, Please correct me if did something wrong here for option selection :

If you did not earn a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate, you may need to have your foreign education assessed by an agency approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. They must show that it is valid, and equal to a completed Canadian credential."

Hence I have set option in "Level of Education" section "Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees. One must be three or more years" in both Post Secondary Diploma and Bachelor degree section Plus in bachelor degree section another question :

Is that correct Sita or not ?

Cheers!!!
Hey prishah, I am now in the same position as you, a little bit reverse though: I have a Canadian bachelor, and two-year foreign post-secondary Diploma (wes recognized). Based on the Help section of Express Entry, I think we are eligible to select the "2 or more certs..." option, for it states very clearly here :

Upon further reading on the "ECA - How to read your report", in the description, they also state a three year cert/diploma/bachelor PLUS any of the results in those sections belows, which include: Bachelor, Two-year diploma, One-year degree, etc.

OR those post-graduate certs and degrees they additionally list in the Two or more certs option.

I have created an image to convey my understanding more clearly:

http://i.imgur.com/peVnYIl.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Conclusion: You can choose "Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees" option. If you HAVE the following:

+ A three-year or more certificate, diploma, or degree

PLUS

+Bachelor’s degree or other programs (three or more years) at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute
+Two-year degree, diploma or certificate from a program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute
+One-year degree, diploma or certificate from a program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute

OR

+Post-Bachelor's Certificate
+Post-undergraduate certificate
+Post-Bachelor's Diploma
+Post-undergraduate diploma
+Graduate Certificate
+Graduate Certificate with a focus in [area of concentration
+Postgraduate certificate
... etc.

Read more: ECA - How to read your report

wifiwifey

Star Member
Jul 13, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2015
Doc's Request.
22-03-2016
AOR Received.
04-11-2015
Med's Done....
27-10-2015
Passport Req..
04-05-2016
Hi Sita,

My WES report says-

Canadian Equivalency Summary: Two bachelor's degrees (four years)

1. Bachelor of Science (Honours)- Candian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree (four years)
2. ACCA- Candian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree (four years)

Can I choose "Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees." as my education level and claim points accordingly?

Thanks for helping me out.

Alifur

Sita1987 said: