+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Option on form IMM1344e doesn't make sense.

AMBriers

Star Member
Sep 23, 2018
Hi All,

So I am trying to fill out form IMM1344e as part of my common law application. I am the principal participant and wish to also be the co-signer of the agreement. Obviously the reason I am applying is that I want to become a Canadian citizen, as currently I am only here on a working holiday visa.

When filling out the co-signer part of this form, which lists mandatory answer fields in bold red boxes, it asks '*Status In Canada'. The only 4 options are; Canadian citizen by birth, Canadian citizen by descent, Naturalized Canadian citizen, or simply leaving it blank.

Is leaving the box blank an acceptable option, as none apply to me? Surely if they did, I wouldn't need to be applying for this visa in the first place if I was already a citizen. Yet another thing I find about these forms which kind of contradicts themselves. I am none of those options. I don't know how I can be if I'm applying to become a resident.

Thanks for your time.

AMBriers

Star Member
Sep 23, 2018
I thought the same thing, but at the top is says '(Co-signer must be spouse or common-law partner of the sponsor).' Which to me makes no sense unless I am interpreting that wrong. I am the common-law partner of the sponsor.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I thought the same thing, but at the top is says '(Co-signer must be spouse or common-law partner of the sponsor).' Which to me makes no sense unless I am interpreting that wrong. I am the common-law partner of the sponsor.
Because it's a common form. To sponsor parents and grandparents, a spouse or common-law partner can be the co-signer. (also co-signer needs to be PR or citizen)

AMBriers

Star Member
Sep 23, 2018
Oh okay, so that would be referring to whether I had already obtained citizenship and wanted to sponsor my family in turn. So if I'm applying for a common-law partner visa, a co-signer is not really an option in this scenario?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Oh okay, so that would be referring to whether I had already obtained citizenship and wanted to sponsor my family in turn. So if I'm applying for a common-law partner visa, a co-signer is not really an option in this scenario?
Exactly!