+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Option for LMO

kman14

Jan 18, 2012
Hello all,

As I've gone through all 15 pages, I still couldn't find an answer to my situation.
I'll try to be as detailed as possible and hopefully be able to get some assistance from you.

After I graduated from College, I got my 3yr post grad work permit.
I found a job (Aug 2010) and am still with the company.
Due to lack of research and negligence (totally my fault), the job I'm doing belongs in Category C in NOC.
My work permit expires Oct 2012.
I've asked and I could either go to another employer or stay with current employer and switch to a qualified position. (possibly start in March 2012 if all goes well). I have decided to stay with current employer as I think with loyalty taken into consideration (as well as I don't want to leave) It would be easier for them to help me if anything.
Now that still doesn't give me 1-yr FT experience that I need to apply for Perm. Res. (PR) unfortunately.
So then I heard about the LMO letter.
I did have a meeting with HR and they're considering doing the LMO but it's not something they usually do as they've told me.

In your opinion, what would you do in this situation? When is the best time to apply for the PR if anything?
Will the LMO letter help me out here (at least maybe extending my post grad work permit for 1-yr)?
I was informed the Post Grad WP can't be extended.

Thanks in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The PGWP cannot be extended. So if you want to keep working, your company needs to go through the LMO process. Assuming the LMO is approved, you must then apply for a work permit.

It also does not sound like you qualify to apply for PR at this time since you don't have a full year of skilled work experience in Canada.

I would try for the LMO + work permit and then apply for PR once you have a full year of skilled work under your belt.

jasmine kaur-22

Star Member
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-02-2015
AOR Received.
23-04-2015
Hiii

my advice is get the one year exp and then apply for PR under CEC 2yr study with one year exp....u will get pr with in 5-6 months for sure...

and about LMO....u r already working with company under pgwp so it will be easy for you get the LMO...no need to show recruitment efforts by your empoyer .....apply for the lmo straight away n then apply for wp(u will get one yr max)....

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
jasmine kaur-22 said:
my advice is get the one year exp and then apply for PR under CEC 2yr study with one year exp....u will get pr with in 5-6 months for sure...
CEC does not take 5-6 months. It takes 15 months. See:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-ec.asp

jasmine kaur-22

Star Member
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-02-2015
AOR Received.
23-04-2015
i know that but recent time line is 120 days to 200 days max...

clover99

Jan 19, 2012
Jasmine, as far as I know the employer still need to advertise the position if the job falls under NOC C.
According to hrdsc website:
Description: The employer wants to hire a foreign worker whose Labour Market Opinion exempt work permit, issued under the PGWPP, will soon expire.

Variation: The employer is making a permanent job offer in a skilled position (i.e. within NOC 0, A and B codes only) to international graduates who have completed the PGWPP. The employer is not required to demonstrate recruitment efforts.

Tell me if I am wrong because my PGWP is also expiring and I am having difficulties finding job under NOC A or B.

kman14

Jan 18, 2012
Unfortunately HR gave me the update that they won't be able to provide me the LMO even If I switched roles in within the company because they don't typically get involved for those matters. Is that odd?

That means I will have to look elsewhere and with about 7 months left (PGWP expires October this year), I will have to be quick. (That is if I decide to stay in Ontario and get my 1-yr experience, otherwise I will just have to move to another province like Nova Scotia where they have different requirements)
I'm mainly looking for an IT position (Technician in particular) and now I'm not even sure which employer will write me one in order for
me to apply for a temporary work permit and apply for my PR after I get my one year exp in that new role.
I mean obviously I have to reveal that part during the interview and hopefully that won't be the deal breaker.

I've heard big companies (like the 5 big banks) don't write LMOs. Is that true?

D

Dolce vita

Hi, my employer did LMO twice for me. It was a real ordeal both for him and me. It takes lots of paperwork and time to do it and the outcome is uncertain. My advice to you is that when you have a job interview, don't say you will need LMO because they will not hire you. Say that your visa will expire later this year but you can renew it. Employers usually don't have idea about immigration matters. Later on, after you're accepted you can say that you have just learn that you need LMO and you kindly ask them for help. I know it's not 100% honest but if you say about LMO in the job interview, forget about the job. As I said, I've done that twice. The second time we were doing it, it was me who did the whole job so if you need details, pls let me know. Especially the application for LMO hasto done super correctly. If you make a small mistake, they'll reject you. Good luck

kman14

Jan 18, 2012
Dolce vita said:
Hi, my employer did LMO twice for me. It was a real ordeal both for him and me. It takes lots of paperwork and time to do it and the outcome is uncertain. My advice to you is that when you have a job interview, don't say you will need LMO because they will not hire you. Say that your visa will expire later this year but you can renew it. Employers usually don't have idea about immigration matters. Later on, after you're accepted you can say that you have just learn that you need LMO and you kindly ask them for help. I know it's not 100% honest but if you say about LMO in the job interview, forget about the job. As I said, I've done that twice. The second time we were doing it, it was me who did the whole job so if you need details, pls let me know. Especially the application for LMO hasto done super correctly. If you make a small mistake, they'll reject you. Good luck
But that's definitely taking a huge risk because what if they say no? Quit and on to the next employer? Time is running out.
I do appreciate you sharing your experience, though.
If mentioning the LMO in the beginning will ruin the opportunity of getting the job offer then I think moving to another province is a better option, no?

D

Dolce vita

That's true. You risk running out of time and I think the processing time for LMO is currently 3 months or so because they have huge backlog. Going back to your prospective emploer- you never know who you will come across but the majority will probably say no to you because no employer has time for additional work for a foreign worker when there is such a high rate of unemployment among Canadians. It's sad but that's the reality. You need to know that doing LMO is more than filling out the form. It's first and foremost the proof that the employer did everything he could to employ Canadians, i.e. advertising the position on job bank and other websites, interviewing the candidates , finally proving you are the only one who can do the job. It's not an easy task since nobody is irreplaceable so if moving to another province and getting a job there seems to be an easier option, that's probably what you have to do. Remember also that once the LMO is done for you, you get a closed work permit and you are tied to your employer like a dog to a kennel. If something goes wrong, it's a check mate situation for you. It also incorporates some level of humiliation because it bears a very deep level of dependecy on your employer.

kman14

Jan 18, 2012
Dolce vita said:
That's true. You risk running out of time and I think the processing time for LMO is currently 3 months or so because they have huge backlog. Going back to your prospective emploer- you never know who you will come across but the majority will probably say no to you because no employer has time for additional work for a foreign worker when there is such a high rate of unemployment among Canadians. It's sad but that's the reality. You need to know that doing LMO is more than filling out the form. It's first and foremost the proof that the employer did everything he could to employ Canadians, i.e. advertising the position on job bank and other websites, interviewing the candidates , finally proving you are the only one who can do the job. It's not an easy task since nobody is irreplaceable so if moving to another province and getting a job there seems to be an easier option, that's probably what you have to do. Remember also that once the LMO is done for you, you get a closed work permit and you are tied to your employer like a dog to a kennel. If something goes wrong, it's a check mate situation for you. It also incorporates some level of humiliation because it bears a very deep level of dependecy on your employer.
If anything, I'd need the work permit till I get my PR (even If that will take some time to be processed).
So I suppose this would be like my ideal situation if moving to another province: e.g Nova Scotia -- applying for "Int'l Graduate Stream"
-Get a job in my field of study (It does state "Preference will be given, but not limited, to employment in your field of study" so I suppose it's better?)
- Gain at least 3 month work experience (Ref: The international graduate must have a full-time, permanent job offer, preferably related to their field of study from a Nova Scotia employer and be working for that employer for at least three consecutive months before submitting an application to the Nova Scotia Nominee Program (NSNP)."
- If I do get nominated I can then apply for my PR

So the ideal timeline would then be --- start job in NS in march, work 3 months till june/july, apply for NSNP, processing time states (The processing time for eligible applications can be completed within two months - so let's say it's completed in September) and I'll still have a month till my work permit expires in October. I can then apply for PR and during that time I can remain working because I'm in the process of getting PR status (I read somewhere that that's the case but I may be wrong).

What do you think?

D

Dolce vita

Hi, unfortunately I cannot tell you if your plan is going to be succesful because I have no knowledge about programs for students. I can only advise as far as LMO is concerned because i went through this hell twice. Please ask somebody else who is in a similar situation. If you find an employer however who will do the LMO for you, i'll be happy to help. All the best in your endeavours.

uing

Star Member
Jan 4, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/04/2012
AOR Received.
10/30/2012
IELTS Request
sent along with the application
HI Dolce Vita,

I am going to talk to my HR regarding the LMO, and i am applying under PGWP so no advertising effort needed, but i recall on LMO application form, there is question asking these

67. Have you attempted to recruit Canadian citizens/permanent residents for this job?
If yes, please provide details of your recruitment efforts and the results.
(Attach supporting documentation such as advertisements in local and national newspapers, recognized Internet job sites, job-specific and professional publications, recruitment drives, job faires, etc.)
Yes
No
If you posted on Job Bank (or the equivalent in some provinces) please provide, in addition to supporting documents, the order number:
If no, please explain.

Filling a labour shortage
Transfer of new skills or knowledge to Canadians/permanent residents
Direct job creation or retention of Canadians/permanent residents
Other
Provide details:

69. Provide a rationale for the job offer you are making to the temporary foreign worker(s) and explain how this will meet your employment needs:
If yes, provide a brief description of the training plan.
No
Yes
If no,

70. Do you plan to train Canadians citizens/permanent residents for the position(s) for which you are requesting an LMO?

Yes or No
and provide explanation

suggestion PLEASE, THANK YOU

kman14

Jan 18, 2012
Job market for IT jobs has been brutal. Hardly anyone is responding, even with changing the resume/cover letter and whatnot.
Right now it's getting very bad for my situation. Time's running out. LMO processing time isn't exactly in my favour.
2nd challenge is of course asking the employer to do the LMO... aye aye.