+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Opting for in-person ceremony

Sinyk

Nov 8, 2023
I don't have the oath letter yet, but my online tracker updated today to show, "Scheduled for Citizenship oath."

Since I don't have the letter, I don't know yet if I will be asked to take the ceremony online or in-person. I prefer in-person, since it's an important milestone and all, so naturally, there is a part of me that is nervous they will ask me to do the ceremony online.

Has anyone here opted for an in-person ceremony over an online one? I know it will take a little longer to process the application but if it's just a month or so, I don't mind. If it's several, I may be better off just doing it online. Does anyone have any experience with this or have an idea on what kind of timeline to expect in such a circumstance?

Thanks in advance.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I don't have the oath letter yet, but my online tracker updated today to show, "Scheduled for Citizenship oath."

Since I don't have the letter, I don't know yet if I will be asked to take the ceremony online or in-person. I prefer in-person, since it's an important milestone and all, so naturally, there is a part of me that is nervous they will ask me to do the ceremony online.

Has anyone here opted for an in-person ceremony over an online one? I know it will take a little longer to process the application but if it's just a month or so, I don't mind. If it's several, I may be better off just doing it online. Does anyone have any experience with this or have an idea on what kind of timeline to expect in such a circumstance?

Thanks in advance.
The PDF attached to your oath email will have the steps you need to follow to request for in-person oath. Follow that to request one.

Something like below -
Rescheduling: Contact us as soon as you receive this invitation with a reasonable explanation for
rescheduling your ceremony. NOTE: a request for an in-person ceremony may result in delays in
processing of your application. In your reply, change the e-mail subject line accordingly, i.e. Ceremony -
New date/time needed, Ceremony - No equipment/Internet, etc.
If you do not contact IRCC within thirty (30) days of the date of your appointment or if your explanation is
not acceptable, your application could be delayed and you will receive a final notice to appear.

Sinyk

Nov 8, 2023
That’s not news, but thanks.

I’m more curious if anyone here has opted for in-person and what kind of timeline or snags to expect.

gamzoog

Feb 1, 2021

Thanks in advance.
Hey @Sinyk - I’m curious that on the tracker what was the actual date shown on the timeline that oath ceremony was in progress? You mentioned tracker was updated on Tuesday but usually the tracker updates a bit later.

does it also show when will the ceremony happen for you? Thanks!

Sinyk

Nov 8, 2023
Hey @Sinyk - I’m curious that on the tracker what was the actual date shown on the timeline that oath ceremony was in progress? You mentioned tracker was updated on Tuesday but usually the tracker updates a bit later.

does it also show when will the ceremony happen for you? Thanks!
You are correct. The tracker was updated yesterday on the 21st but it says November 17, 2023 “Activity status updated: Citizenship oath”

Above it, set for December 4, 2023 it says, “Scheduled for Citizenship oath
Citizenship ceremony
Congratulations! You've been scheduled to attend your citizenship ceremony on December 4, 2023. Follow the instructions you will receive in your ceremony invitation.”

Without the oath letter I don’t know yet if the ceremony is in-person or not.

Reactions: gamzoog

AnonyKaty

Star Member
Jan 6, 2021
If it helps, what I noticed is that people scheduled on the weekend usually get an in-person ceremony. Since the 4th is a weekday, it may be an online ceremony. You could try and ask for a change, and suggest some upcoming in-person ceremonies in your area. However, there is the risk of delays for the ceremony.

I will say, that I wanted an in-person ceremony and I got an online ceremony. And it turned out fine. I preferred being able to wait all that time at home.

Reactions: desmat

Sinyk

Nov 8, 2023
If it helps, what I noticed is that people scheduled on the weekend usually get an in-person ceremony. Since the 4th is a weekday, it may be an online ceremony. You could try and ask for a change, and suggest some upcoming in-person ceremonies in your area. However, there is the risk of delays for the ceremony.

I will say, that I wanted an in-person ceremony and I got an online ceremony. And it turned out fine. I preferred being able to wait all that time at home.
That's strange, because all of the in-person ceremonies listed on the site for the next two weeks are on weekdays.

I kind of assumed either way it would be a weekday, because government.

https://secure.cic.gc.ca/CeremonyCeremonie/en/Home

Reactions: AnonyKaty

kikikokiki

Jan 20, 2021
I have the same thought too – I prefer an in-person ceremony instead of an online one. I honestly wouldn't mind rescheduling the ceremony to a later date if it can be an option.

Sinyk

Nov 8, 2023
Update: I got my Oath Letter. It says December 1st while the tracker says December 4th.

It's a zoom call.

I am definitely debating it in my mind. On one hand, it would be nice to just get it done and over with. On the other hand, I really would like an actual ceremony.

Zoom call Pros: it's done and over with quickly, and once it's done, I'm a citizen.

Cons: no ceremony

Postponing Pros: There would be a ceremony

Cons: I have no way of knowing or even having a ballpark idea how long asking for an actual ceremony would postpone my application.

Can anyone with any experience with this give me a ballpark idea how long asking for an-person ceremony will delay my application?

Sinyk

Nov 8, 2023
With IRCC take what you get without giving it a second thought, what if they reschedule you in 6-9 months, you would be back in this forum regretting why you requested an in-person ceremony in the first place.
It's your call at the end of the day.
You make good points

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Update: I got my Oath Letter. It says December 1st while the tracker says December 4th.

It's a zoom call.

I am definitely debating it in my mind. On one hand, it would be nice to just get it done and over with. On the other hand, I really would like an actual ceremony.

Zoom call Pros: it's done and over with quickly, and once it's done, I'm a citizen.

Cons: no ceremony

Postponing Pros: There would be a ceremony

Cons: I have no way of knowing or even having a ballpark idea how long asking for an actual ceremony would postpone my application.

Can anyone with any experience with this give me a ballpark idea how long asking for an-person ceremony will delay my application?
Which office is managing your oath ceremony?