+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Opening bank account RBC - Cohabitation/Relationship proofs

abdulzeedo

Star Member
Jun 23, 2019
Hi guys

I have seen a few threads in which people say that RBC has opened their bank accounts.

I have been in one Today to show my ID and get a temporary debit card and my client card.

However, the manager said that even if they opened my account the HQ would be sending a request to provide proof of residence within 30 days. And if I don’t have a proof of residence then they would deactivate my account.

what did you guys do when asked for a proof of residence?

I have a visitor status and I have everything ready for the inland application except for these non-sensical (in my case) cohabitation proofs...

I am thinking to just give up everything in that section and simply provide a letter of explanation saying that I have just come to Canada and it doesn’t make sense for me to have all those proofs. I know that people on this forum do provide them, but are they really for people like us who are on a visitor status?

To me honestly, if somebody who has been in Canada for only one month and is already paying the utility bills, paying the rent or the mortgage and has a vehicle insurance and has a joint bank account with forced transactions would sound fishy!

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Hi guys

I have seen a few threads in which people say that RBC has opened their bank accounts.

I have been in one Today to show my ID and get a temporary debit card and my client card.

However, the manager said that even if they opened my account the HQ would be sending a request to provide proof of residence within 30 days. And if I don’t have a proof of residence then they would deactivate my account.

what did you guys do when asked for a proof of residence?

I have a visitor status and I have everything ready for the inland application except for these non-sensical (in my case) cohabitation proofs...

I am thinking to just give up everything in that section and simply provide a letter of explanation saying that I have just come to Canada and it doesn’t make sense for me to have all those proofs. I know that people on this forum do provide them, but are they really for people like us who are on a visitor status?

To me honestly, if somebody who has been in Canada for only one month and is already paying the utility bills, paying the rent or the mortgage and has a vehicle insurance and has a joint bank account with forced transactions would sound fishy!
That’s strange. TD opened one for me in 2017 as a visitor. What you can do is get a joint account in your spouses name and yours. Them being a Canadian citizen is enough for you to be added onto the account as a secondary holder. Maybe the rules have changed since 17. I am from the USA and I can recall them sending me a W-9 form for tax reasons to fill out. Good luck

abdulzeedo

Star Member
Jun 23, 2019
That’s strange. TD opened one for me in 2017 as a visitor. What you can do is get a joint account in your spouses name and yours. Them being a Canadian citizen is enough for you to be added onto the account as a secondary holder. Maybe the rules have changed since 17. I am from the USA and I can recall them sending me a W-9 form for tax reasons to fill out. Good luck
I have asked TD as well. TD escalated the matter to internal support and they got back to me saying that if I am not doing any extra curricular activity for which I might need to use my account, then I will not be able to open one with them.

I have asked Scotia Bank over the phone and booked an appointment for tomorrow. Thing is that usually they do say "yes, you can open" over the phone but then when you are in the branch, as soon as you take your passport out, they start frowning and becoming upset!!! I have an EU passport... not even a developing country one... I don't get it!!

Chances are that the banks are being more cautious w.r.t. these types of accounts because of money laundering and taxing issues...

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
Technically you can't open a Canadian bank account without residency (PR card, etc). However, not every teller in every bank is aware of this so that's why some people have been able to open an account by lucking out. A few members on here have gone to different banks or different tellers to see if they can get lucky and open an account without anyone requesting passport/PR card or residency proof.

But, what you CAN do is get your name added to one of your spouse's already existing accounts. The key is that your spouse already has an account so it's not the same process as opening a new account and because it's a joint and not your own account it's easier. This account now becomes a joint account which in a way is even BETTER for providing co-hab proof and joint finances.

(oh and by the way always go into the bank in person never try and do this over the phone or online because they definitely will ask for residency proof and SIN and PR card etc.)

abdulzeedo

Star Member
Jun 23, 2019
Technically you can't open a Canadian bank account without residency (PR card, etc). However, not every teller in every bank is aware of this so that's why some people have been able to open an account by lucking out. A few members on here have gone to different banks or different tellers to see if they can get lucky and open an account without anyone requesting passport/PR card or residency proof.

But, what you CAN do is get your name added to one of your spouse's already existing accounts. The key is that your spouse already has an account so it's not the same process as opening a new account and because it's a joint and not your own account it's easier. This account now becomes a joint account which in a way is even BETTER for providing co-hab proof and joint finances.

(oh and by the way always go into the bank in person never try and do this over the phone or online because they definitely will ask for residency proof and SIN and PR card etc.)
TBH RBC was more reluctant to open a joint bank account than opening a new one! How do you know that opening a joint account is easier??

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
TBH RBC was more reluctant to open a joint bank account than opening a new one! How do you know that opening a joint account is easier??
They will do it. Do you have any type of documentation showing your status in canada? I came as a visitor-student-worker-visitor(Current Status). My visitor extension was approved for one year, we filed for spousal sponsorship inland. I was in the same situation as you so i can confirm the hard ships of these proofs when you are simply a visitor. Thats why I studied, and then worked. During this time I was able to gather different types of documentation to prove that we live at our current residence. I assume you're in a common law relationship? Or married for less than 2 years? Your spouse could file taxes as common law. Even YOU as a visitor can still file taxes in Canada as a visitor believe it or not... these are concrete evidence of a common law relationship. Also go get a drivers license or a photo ID. Im still not certain of your current situation or what you actually have at this time showing common law. So that being said I would recommend 1. Spend more time in Canada for the sole purpose of gathering more concrete proof of an ongoing committed relationship. Or 2. Send whatever you have and hope for the best. You want to make your case as strong as possible this will avoid complications, interviews, or refusal.

abdulzeedo

Star Member
Jun 23, 2019
They will do it. Do you have any type of documentation showing your status in canada? I came as a visitor-student-worker-visitor(Current Status). My visitor extension was approved for one year, we filed for spousal sponsorship inland. I was in the same situation as you so i can confirm the hard ships of these proofs when you are simply a visitor. Thats why I studied, and then worked. During this time I was able to gather different types of documentation to prove that we live at our current residence. I assume you're in a common law relationship? Or married for less than 2 years? Your spouse could file taxes as common law. Even YOU as a visitor can still file taxes in Canada as a visitor believe it or not... these are concrete evidence of a common law relationship. Also go get a drivers license or a photo ID. Im still not certain of your current situation or what you actually have at this time showing common law. So that being said I would recommend 1. Spend more time in Canada for the sole purpose of gathering more concrete proof of an ongoing committed relationship. Or 2. Send whatever you have and hope for the best. You want to make your case as strong as possible this will avoid complications, interviews, or refusal.
Married for less than 2 years.

But you are right. I was thinking to get Photo ID, it's just that there are about 100 people queuing whenever I go to Service Ontario. And the driver's license is a long route too. Plus, with the pandemic going on, I cannot expect them to process and mail the Photo ID within a month.

And since I am married, the IRCC shouldn't be too bothered about this sort of things. I don't know, I feel like somebody who is faking it would try to tick all the boxes too, no? Just a naive thought...

Update: ScotiaBank refused Today too. They said get some sort of work/study permit before opening an account!

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Married for less than 2 years.

But you are right. I was thinking to get Photo ID, it's just that there are about 100 people queuing whenever I go to Service Ontario. And the driver's license is a long route too. Plus, with the pandemic going on, I cannot expect them to process and mail the Photo ID within a month.

And since I am married, the IRCC shouldn't be too bothered about this sort of things. I don't know, I feel like somebody who is faking it would try to tick all the boxes too, no? Just a naive thought...

Update: ScotiaBank refused Today too. They said get some sort of work/study permit before opening an account!
You should try and get established before you apply. Since you’re new to Canada at least.

abdulzeedo

Star Member
Jun 23, 2019
You should try and get established before you apply. Since you’re new to Canada at least.
But what do you mean by getting established? And how would that make my application any stronger? That's hard when you can't literally do anything at all. Open a bank account, pay a bill or get a license. Plus I risk running out of status soon too!

If I am not mistaken, the only thing being tested is our relationship (plus we are married, so in principle it should be easier), no?

derin1010

Oct 18, 2017
Toronto

This information is incorrect. Anyone can oprn an account in as much you have an identification and a proof of address. You dont have to have a canadian PR card to open an account. I know this for a fact

abdulzeedo

Star Member
Jun 23, 2019
This information is incorrect. Anyone can oprn an account in as much you have an identification and a proof of address. You dont have to have a canadian PR card to open an account. I know this for a fact
I have just been to ScotiaBank to open a joint account and they told me that had I had a TRV they would have allowed me to open an account. They just do not accept an ETA!!!

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
For most of us on this forum we have had great difficulty opening accounts on visitor's status; especially if you are from a visa exempt country where you will have no immigration document proving your status. When my husband first arrived here from the UK he could not open a bank account. We went to every bank in our city and were told the same thing; that without a SIN, he had to provide proof of status (PR card, visa, etc) which he did not have coming from a visa exempt country. There are many many threads on here about people having difficulty opening accounts including this very thread. Most banks will want a SIN, or immigration document, photo id, and proof of residency. It would be helpful if you could tell us what bank you are referring to that allows non-residents to open accounts without these documents.

abdulzeedo

Star Member
Jun 23, 2019
Updater: After having being refused from the RBC branch manager to open my bank account based on the fact that I wouldn't be able to fill in my 'Declaration of Tax Residence for Individuals', I called the Canadian Banking Foreign Tax Support Team at 1-855-873-7232 and asked how to fill the form 'Part XIX of the Income Tax Act' since I didn't have a SIN (Social insurance number), she said just indicate that you are a tax resident of another jurisdiction and provide their TIN or a TIN equivalent which for the UK she said is simply the NINO (National insurance number).

Moral of the story, the people in that branch didn't know what they were talking about!!!

I am formally making a complaint against the branch manager and her ignorant employee!!

Last edited: