Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2011
Med's Done....
30-06-2011
I am being sponsored by my common-law partner. He is a Canadian citizen. I wonder if I can apply for any work permit while waiting for my AIP result in Canada. FIR, we just sent out the PR application. I think it will takes roughly a week for the officer to open our file. If I am right, I might have to wait for 2 months to know if we have passed the AIP. What can you recommend me to do in the mean time? Am I eligible to apply for the Open Work Permit before they notify me?

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
I already answered in your other thread but you didn't bring up the question there about how long it will take an officer to review your file. Don't know where you got your information, but CPC-Vegreville is not opening applications until 9-10 months after receipt. (Scroll down to the bottom of this page, to the timeline for "Spouse/Partner In Canada" timeline). You cannot work until you are issued an OWP - that won't happen until you apply for one after you receive Approval in Principle . . . and if you didn't include an application to extend your status and change your conditions (to an OWP) WITH your PR ap, you're risking falling out of status before your application begins assessment and that will delay your first stage approval and your OWP opportunity.

ilovecanada4ever

Star Member
Jun 21, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2011
Med's Done....
30-06-2011
I guess I read it from other threads on how long does the officer usually take to open the package that applicant sent and not the time that the officer takes to review it. I think it could just based on some rumors. You have made a good point. Eventhough I have my study permit and work permit renewed, I think I still need to include an application to change my conditions to an OWP given that I am going to withdraw from school this Fall. Do you have any suggestion on this matter? If this is the only way to get an OWP in Canada, how can I send my application for it? I think CPC-Vegreville just received my PR apps package today.