+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit

O

Ohcanada

Hello:

I am on a 6 month TRV in Canada visiting my spouse who is a Canadian citizen. We have been married for 6 years. So far I have not applied for Canadian PR. I applied for change of status/open work permit last month and my application was received at Vagerville, Alberta on the 11th of February. I note from cic.gc.ca website that the processing time is 27 days for initial work visa applications processed within Canada. I also read a note that says application includes a 10 day mailing period. Assuming that my application is approved, when can I expect to have work permit? I would appreciate your feedback. I am unable to get anyone on the toll free number at CIC.

Regards,

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Ohcanada said:
Hello:

I am on a 6 month TRV in Canada visiting my spouse who is a Canadian citizen. We have been married for 6 years. So far I have not applied for Canadian PR. I applied for change of status/open work permit last month and my application was received at Vagerville, Alberta on the 11th of February. I note from cic.gc.ca website that the processing time is 27 days for initial work visa applications processed within Canada. I also read a note that says application includes a 10 day mailing period. Assuming that my application is approved, when can I expect to have work permit? I would appreciate your feedback. I am unable to get anyone on the toll free number at CIC.

Regards,
Hi,

On what basis are you applying for an open work permit?

O

Ohcanada

On the basis that I have a 6 month TRV, I am an IT professional and my spouse is a Canadian. I am aware open work permit does not specifically address my situation in the sense that: [1] AIP is given to PR applicants within Canada who can then apply for open work permit and [2] spouses of work permit holders can apply for open work permit. My spouse & I were working in other countries during the last 6 years and we didn't see a need to process my PR application. Recently my spouse moved to Canada. I have always had a long term social visit visa to Canada. I thought may be I should apply for open work permit so that I could spend time with my spouse now that I am already in Canada.

Thanks,

imigrate

Star Member
Nov 16, 2009
The processing time for change of status is currently 60 days.

Interesting, I wasn't aware that you could get an open work permit on the basis of being spouse of Canadian citizen.
My understanding is it is available to spouses of work permit/study permit holders... ie. foreign workers or foreign students. Not Canadian citizen.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
hI

imigrate said:
The processing time for change of status is currently 60 days.

Interesting, I wasn't aware that you could get an open work permit on the basis of being spouse of Canadian citizen.
My understanding is it is available to spouses of work permit/study permit holders... ie. foreign workers or foreign students. Not Canadian citizen.

You can't there is no provision in the Act/Regs for a spouse of CC to get an open work permit.

PMM

pjsaindane

Aug 7, 2013
Hello,

I`m Pallavi from India.My husband is working in Canada as NOC C. Our nationality is Indian. He will be applying soon for his wok permit for NOC B level job, bcoz an LMO for this job has been approved. I need some information regarding my open work permit. I have applied temporary visitors visa in India and it has got rejected.

Can my husband apply online for both work permits (his work permit and mine open work permit) from canada only?

Please guide me in this regard.

Thank You.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

pjsaindane said:
Hello,

I`m Pallavi from India.My husband is working in Canada as NOC C. Our nationality is Indian. He will be applying soon for his wok permit for NOC B level job, bcoz an LMO for this job has been approved. I need some information regarding my open work permit. I have applied temporary visitors visa in India and it has got rejected.

Can my husband apply online for both work permits (his work permit and mine open work permit) from canada only?

Please guide me in this regard.

Thank You.
No, you have to apply for your own TRV. It would be separate application.

pjsaindane

Aug 7, 2013
PMM said:
Hi

No, you have to apply for your own TRV. It would be separate application.
I agree you. My husband will apply online for his work permit and mine open work permit. My doubt is once I get my Open work permit, how to apply for TRV. From India or from Canada?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

pjsaindane said:
I agree you. My husband will apply online for his work permit and mine open work permit. My doubt is once I get my Open work permit, how to apply for TRV. From India or from Canada?
You don't apply for an OWP, you apply for a TRV. If it is issued, then when you arrive in Canada, you apply for the OWP at the Port of Entry, with proof of relationship and proof of your spouse's employment as a skilled worker.

Rajan Grover

May 27, 2013
PMM said:
Hi

You don't apply for an OWP, you apply for a TRV. If it is issued, then when you arrive in Canada, you apply for the OWP at the Port of Entry, with proof of relationship and proof of your spouse's employment as a skilled worker.
Hi PMM.

Just need your advice could you please let me know what are the chances for TRV as i go through with this forum there are so many rejection in TRV.

But as i see there are so many approval of OWP (spouse)..

Please suggest what would be the better option.

Regards
Rajan

Randyv

Nov 26, 2012
Hi guys! I've got some question regarding my open work permit because it will expire on august 28, 2013 and i send my application already to extend my open work permit and i am under spouse sponsorship and my application is still on process my question is can i still continue working while i am waiting for my new open work permit(if they approved it) to be issued? Thank you!