+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit with private college

instrau

Jul 16, 2018
Hello, my wife and I are planning on moving to Vancouver in January. Our plan was for her to study for 2 years in a private college while I work, after which we could apply to express entry and have enough points to obtain PR.
In particular, we were looking at this program: http://canadiancollege.com/en/trade-english-certificate

We contacted this college and were informed that I could apply to an OWP while she studies without any problems, however after some investigation it appears that this should only be possible on public colleges or universities...

So what should we do? It appears this college wasn't being truthful regarding our eligibility to OWP, does anyone have any information about this college in particular? It is listed on the Designated learning institutions list, but I'm not sure this is enough to be eligible to OWP.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, my wife and I are planning on moving to Vancouver in January. Our plan was for her to study for 2 years in a private college while I work, after which we could apply to express entry and have enough points to obtain PR.
In particular, we were looking at this program: http://canadiancollege.com/en/trade-english-certificate

We contacted this college and were informed that I could apply to an OWP while she studies without any problems, however after some investigation it appears that this should only be possible on public colleges or universities...

So what should we do? It appears this college wasn't being truthful regarding our eligibility to OWP, does anyone have any information about this college in particular? It is listed on the Designated learning institutions list, but I'm not sure this is enough to be eligible to OWP.
Private colleges are generally a bad idea since your wife will not qualify for a post graduate work permit once she completes her studies. Ensuring she qualifies for a PGWP is very good insurance to have in case you end up having to work in Canada longer before you qualify for PR.

Provided the school is on the DLI list, you can apply for an OWP. Note that being eligible to apply doesn't mean you'll be approved and we do see plenty of refusals here. I would say the chances of refusal are likely somewhat higher if your wife is attending a private institution.

Overall, recommend you reconsider attending a private college and stick with a public school.

instrau

Jul 16, 2018
Private colleges are generally a bad idea since your wife will not qualify for a post graduate work permit once she completes her studies. Ensuring she qualifies for a PGWP is very good insurance to have in case you end up having to work in Canada longer before you qualify for PR.

Provided the school is on the DLI list, you can apply for an OWP. Note that being eligible to apply doesn't mean you'll be approved and we do see plenty of refusals here. I would say the chances of refusal are likely somewhat higher if your wife is attending a private institution.

Overall, recommend you reconsider attending a private college and stick with a public school.
Thanks for your prompt reply.
The reason we chose this route is that as long as I can get 1 year of Canadian work experience we should have more than enough points to qualify for PR (480 or so points; we both have 4 years bachelor's degrees, 6+ years of work experience and high IELTS scores). As a senior software developer, I believe it should be easy enough to get this work experience during the 2 years she will be studying.
I realize a public school would be a safer choice, however there are many disadvantages as well (her program is hard to find, price, start date etc).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would suggest you apply together (study permit and OWP). Hopefully you will hear back before she starts school but you have to think of a plan b in case you get refused. She could also get refused.

instrau

Jul 16, 2018
Would it be a good idea to already apply for Express Entry in case the scores go down a bit? We currently have 428 points, which would have been enough last year.
Also, as I wait for the OWP can I also try to get a company to sponsor me? And last, what are the most common reasons to have an OWP denied?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Would it be a good idea to already apply for Express Entry in case the scores go down a bit? We currently have 428 points, which would have been enough last year.
Also, as I wait for the OWP can I also try to get a company to sponsor me? And last, what are the most common reasons to have an OWP denied?
You can certainly create an Express Entry profile now.

OWPs are most often refused for lack of ties to the home country and because IRCC suspects you have plans on remaining in Canada long term. This is why a private college can weaken the application. It can make it look like your wife is studying in Canada as a means of you obtaining an OWP - rather than her being a genuine student.

Unlikely you'll find a company to sponsor you for a work permit. In order to do that, the employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA - which is a long and expensive process with no guarantee of approval. Vast majority of employers aren't willing to go through the process. Having said that, you can absolutely try.

Reactions: instrau

instrau

Jul 16, 2018
You can certainly create an Express Entry profile now.

OWPs are most often refused for lack of ties to the home country and because IRCC suspects you have plans on remaining in Canada long term. This is why a private college can weaken the application. It can make it look like your wife is studying in Canada as a means of you obtaining an OWP - rather than her being a genuine student.

Unlikely you'll find a company to sponsor you for a work permit. In order to do that, the employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA - which is a long and expensive process with no guarantee of approval. Vast majority of employers aren't willing to go through the process. Having said that, you can absolutely try.
I have an apartment in my name back in my home country, so I guess that would help. Wouldn't you say that applying for express entry before obtaining an OWP would cause suspicion that I'm trying to remain in Canada long term? Shouldn't it be safer then to only create my profile after I obtain the OWP?
Again thanks for all the help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have an apartment in my name back in my home country, so I guess that would help. Wouldn't you say that applying for express entry before obtaining an OWP would cause suspicion that I'm trying to remain in Canada long term? Shouldn't it be safer then to only create my profile after I obtain the OWP?
Again thanks for all the help.
Are you not living in your home country now? Having an apartment is OK - but typically you want to show a number of things such as property ownership, employment, other assets. If you are living outside of your home country now, that tends to weaken the application.

Setting up an Express Entry profile won't impact anything.

instrau

Jul 16, 2018
Are you not living in your home country now? Having an apartment is OK - but typically you want to show a number of things such as property ownership, employment, other assets. If you are living outside of your home country now, that tends to weaken the application.

Setting up an Express Entry profile won't impact anything.
Sorry I misspoke, I'm still in my home country right now. We intend on going to Canada in December only right before classes start.
Asides from my apartment and my wife's apartment, I'll still keep my current job(I work remotely), and we have about 35k CAD in cash. Would this be enough? Also the program my wife will be attending is directly related to her work and not just some random thing so we can get a visa.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sorry I misspoke, I'm still in my home country right now. We intend on going to Canada in December only right before classes start.
Asides from my apartment and my wife's apartment, I'll still keep my current job(I work remotely), and we have about 35k CAD in cash. Would this be enough? Also the program my wife will be attending is directly related to her work and not just some random thing so we can get a visa.
I can't tell you if that will be enough - that will be up to the visa officer. There's too many variables involved. My advice would still be to switch to a public college since you can't predict what will happen and ensuring she gets a PGWP will be a form of insurance.

The one thing I would say is that you definitely don't want to go any lower than a balance $35K with two of you coming to Canada. If you can increase your balance, that would be good. What you have now is on the low side and that may be a concern for the visa officer.

Reactions: instrau

deep kaur 98

Oct 7, 2018
hello
i am studing in private university which is eligible to give me post grafuate work permit
is it safe to continue studying in it?
and i want to apply for spouse
is he get open wrk permit ?
is we will face any problem regarding this institution???

deep kaur 98

Oct 7, 2018
one thing more i want to discuss that
i did not get work permit in airport
but i got sin number and study permit
is work peemit is necessary for spouse open wrk permir??

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
one thing more i want to discuss that
i did not get work permit in airport
but i got sin number and study permit
is work peemit is necessary for spouse open wrk permir??
You can't get a SOWP at the airport. You will have to apply for one. Spouses of international students are not guaranteed an OWP.

deep kaur 98

Oct 7, 2018
hello
i am studing in private university which is eligible to give me post grafuate work permit
is it safe to continue studying in it?
and i want to apply for spouse
is he get open wrk permit ?
is we will face any problem regarding this institution???