+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit With PR Application?

haworthia

Apr 3, 2019
I am an American currently in Canada on a study permit and in the process of putting together a PR application via my common-law status with my partner. I am graduating from my program in May and want to apply for an open work permit so I can continue to live and work in Canada while I wait on my PR application to be processed.

I have seen I can submit a work permit with my PR application, but am wondering if it would be better to submit the work permit online first. I had hoped to get my PR application actually sent in by now, but I'm having issues getting legible ink fingerprints done that will be approved by the FBI for the police certificate, and I'm not sure when that is going to get resolved. I think submitting a work permit online separately is the better option, but wanted to get some other opinions. Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am an American currently in Canada on a study permit and in the process of putting together a PR application via my common-law status with my partner. I am graduating from my program in May and want to apply for an open work permit so I can continue to live and work in Canada while I wait on my PR application to be processed.

I have seen I can submit a work permit with my PR application, but am wondering if it would be better to submit the work permit online first. I had hoped to get my PR application actually sent in by now, but I'm having issues getting legible ink fingerprints done that will be approved by the FBI for the police certificate, and I'm not sure when that is going to get resolved. I think submitting a work permit online separately is the better option, but wanted to get some other opinions. Thanks.
If you submit the work permit first - it will be refused. You'll then end up in Canada out of status and have to go through the process of restoring your status. This is not a good option. It will create more problems for you than it solves.

The work permit can only be submitted together with the inland PR application.

If you can't get the inland sponsorship together in time, apply to change your status to visitor and stop working once your work permit expires. Then submit the inland application with the OWP - you'll be able to start working again around four months after the complete application package is received.

EDIT: If you are completing a full time program from a DLI - then you have the option to apply for a PGWP. I would definitely do that if you qualify. That will make your problems go away.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

If you qualify for a PGWP, apply for it and apply for PR outland.

haworthia

Apr 3, 2019
If you qualify for a PGWP, apply for it and apply for PR outland.
If you submit the work permit first - it will be refused. You'll then end up in Canada out of status and have to go through the process of restoring your status. This is not a good option. It will create more problems for you than it solves.

The work permit can only be submitted together with the inland PR application.

If you can't get the inland sponsorship together in time, apply to change your status to visitor and stop working once your work permit expires. Then submit the inland application with the OWP - you'll be able to start working again around four months after the complete application package is received.

EDIT: If you are completing a full time program from a DLI - then you have the option to apply for a PGWP. I would definitely do that if you qualify. That will make your problems go away.
I do qualify for a PGWP and I think this is the better way for me to apply for a work permit as I've just finished school and am waiting on my final grades. I'm unsure of how to go about this with also doing a PR application. Do I submit them together still, or separately? Would it be better to wait until I get a PGWP approved to submit application for PR instead of applying while I am on my study permit?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I do qualify for a PGWP and I think this is the better way for me to apply for a work permit as I've just finished school and am waiting on my final grades. I'm unsure of how to go about this with also doing a PR application. Do I submit them together still, or separately? Would it be better to wait until I get a PGWP approved to submit application for PR instead of applying while I am on my study permit?
They are completely separate and there is no point in waiting until you have your PGWP to apply for PR.