+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work permit when closed WP is approved (outside Canada)

akaur13

Star Member
Oct 3, 2020
Hi everyone, if someone has a closed work permit for Quebec, but they've not yet moved to Canada, and they receive an invitation to apply for an open work permit under the IMP, can they then apply for an open work permit ? Will any action need to be taken to cancel the previously approved closed WP in that case, and will that affect the approval chances of the open WP application ?

LOLR1

Star Member
Aug 11, 2021
closed work permit for Quebec, but they've not ye
Yes you can. As IMP application is independent from previous study/work permits, and only depends on you having received your AoR CSQ I believe (thanks for the correction). Regarding if you have moved yet to Canada or not, shouldn't be a problem, as theoretically your situation can change any day before coming. maybe your job fired you before arriving, maybe you decided that you didn't want to work after all and instead applied to study in a college/university, therefore asking for a study permit. Permits can change a lot before arriving.
By cancelation you can ask an agent, but usually the last awarded permit(being work or study) is the one that stays valid. As an example, when I got my work permit, the immigration agent took my (still valid) study permit and never gave it back. You will provably need to add your current work permit in your application for the Open one as a way to proof your current legal status in/with Canada.

Good luck to you.

Last edited: