+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit route for below CRS point requirement

browzah

Oct 30, 2017
Hi,

I'm trying to explore this option since my CRS points for applying PR is below the minimum requirement, in the chance to increase my point and gain experience as well. I would greatly appreciate it if I can find some answers to my questions below:

1. Can I apply for an Open Work Permit myself while I'm still employed here (H1B) in the US?
  2. If yes, how long is the validity given?
  3. Why aren't some people who are below their CRS requirement consider this route?
Thanks!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi,
I'm trying to explore this option since my CRS points for applying PR is below the minimum requirement, in the chance to increase my point and gain experience as well. I would greatly appreciate it if I can find some answers to my questions below:

1. Can I apply for an Open Work Permit myself while I'm still employed here (H1B) in the US?
  2. If yes, how long is the validity given?
  3. Why aren't some people who are below their CRS requirement consider this route?
Thanks!
Because this is not an option for most people. The availability of open work permits is quite limited to specific circumstances.

The CEC class was developed for people who come to Canada on work permits and/or to study, so lots of people do go this route. But most have to find an employer first, who is willing to apply for an LMIA (Labour Market Impact Analysis - to prove that you're not taking a job away from a qualified Canadian), to get a temporary (closed, meaning employer- and job-specific work permit). There are some LMIA-exempt options (intra-company transfers, NAFTA-exempt occupation), but most will need to go the LMIA route. As you can imagine, many find this very difficult; for you, with your proximity in North America and US-based work experience, it may not be as difficult.

Reactions: browzah and scylla