+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit Refusal for a TRP Holder

kalexand

Jun 14, 2019
Hello,
My husband is a TRP holder until December 31st. That made him eligible to apply for an Open Work Permit. CIC advised us to also include a letter of intent, which we did, stating we were applying as TRPs and would then apply for spousal sponsorship once we had an income. I am a citizen but am a teacher and do not make a regular income.

We were refused this week for the Open work permit due to what looks like the date (We applied in March as soon as our TRP came in) and the fact that we did not submit a labour assessment form. The problem is you don't need to submit a labour assessment form, we had more than six months on our TRP, and we wrote a letter of intent. All of this on advice from the CIC. Our application also clearly shows Open Work Permit.

We don't know what to do next. We have been advised that it may have been an error and feel very stressed. Any advice?

Edited to add that we met all eligibility requirements and submitted all documentation.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,
My husband is a TRP holder until December 31st. That made him eligible to apply for an Open Work Permit. CIC advised us to also include a letter of intent, which we did, stating we were applying as TRPs and would then apply for spousal sponsorship once we had an income. I am a citizen but am a teacher and do not make a regular income.

We were refused this week for the Open work permit due to what looks like the date (We applied in March as soon as our TRP came in) and the fact that we did not submit a labour assessment form. The problem is you don't need to submit a labour assessment form, we had more than six months on our TRP, and we wrote a letter of intent. All of this on advice from the CIC. Our application also clearly shows Open Work Permit.

We don't know what to do next. We have been advised that it may have been an error and feel very stressed. Any advice?

Edited to add that we met all eligibility requirements and submitted all documentation.
Post the refusal letter here (take out any person details). That will give us the best info to help you.

Note that you cannot sponsor your husband through spousal sponsorship until the reason he is inadmissible is addressed (I'm assuming he has a TRP since he's current inadmissible).