+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit Program - Extension to 2018?

aK24

Oct 16, 2017
Hi All,

This forum is very helpful :)

I'm planing to sponser my spouse (US citizen) for PR via the inland process in the next few months. I was wondering, does anyone know if the open work permit pilot program (Work permit for spouses and common-law partners applying for permanent residence from within Canada) is going to be renewed again this December. Or is there a plan to make this program into the standard? The last notice about this program was issued on Dec 7, 2016 and says the program ends on Dec 21, 2017.

Thanks

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hi All,

This forum is very helpful :)

I'm planing to sponser my spouse (US citizen) for PR via the inland process in the next few months. I was wondering, does anyone know if the open work permit pilot program (Work permit for spouses and common-law partners applying for permanent residence from within Canada) is going to be renewed again this December. Or is there a plan to make this program into the standard? The last notice about this program was issued on Dec 7, 2016 and says the program ends on Dec 21, 2017.

Thanks
They have not announced yet to my knowledge.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
does it mean as long as you have submitted your application before this you should still qualify? ie if we submit an application and it is received on December 20th you would still qualify?
I assume yes but I do not know the answer for sure.

The day they receive versus the day they enter it in their system are also completely different things and I do not know whether that would be a factor

Oldmacwright

Aug 18, 2017
So do you think it will be worth sending in an OWP application for my (out of status) wife before the deadline. We have an inland spousal app in progress in very early stages (aor last week and Schedule A and PCC sent in). I was told here once we get AIP she is eligble for an OWP but obviously if the pilot programme isnt extended we will miss that boat if we dont have an app in.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
So do you think it will be worth sending in an OWP application for my (out of status) wife before the deadline. We have an inland spousal app in progress in very early stages (aor last week and Schedule A and PCC sent in). I was told here once we get AIP she is eligble for an OWP but obviously if the pilot programme isnt extended we will miss that boat if we dont have an app in.
Huh?

Unless I am missing something about your situation, people generally submit OWP app with the spousal app...

Oldmacwright

Aug 18, 2017
Huh?

Unless I am missing something about your situation, people generally submit OWP app with the spousal app...
We never did cause she is out of status and not eligible for an OWP, only since reading the forum here that we find she may me eligible in the future...though still not 100% sure how we stand on the matter?

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
We never did cause she is out of status and not eligible for an OWP, only since reading the forum here that we find she may me eligible in the future...though still not 100% sure how we stand on the matter?
Right, sorry, I have no clue about the AIP portion, I overlooked your comment on being out of status. Sorry!

Oldmacwright

Aug 18, 2017
Right, sorry, I have no clue about the AIP portion, I overlooked your comment on being out of status. Sorry!
Yah not sure how it works, someone said once we get AIP she can then get an OWP, but will still be out of status until she officially has the landing interview, so almost contradictory to me.

aK24

Oct 16, 2017
Any news on this topic? I havent seen any releases from CIC, but last year they announced the extension on Dec 7th...

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
@aK24 Unfortunately I do not have an actual citation to share, because this was posted by an individual in a Facebook group I am in. But a few weeks ago, this person was advised by CIC that the pilot program will be discontinued because moving forward, the OWP program will now become a regular part of the process that will no longer be renewed from year to year.

Reactions: gabrielasqs

gabrielasqs

Sep 26, 2017
@aK24 Unfortunately I do not have an actual citation to share, because this was posted by an individual in a Facebook group I am in. But a few weeks ago, this person was advised by CIC that the pilot program will be discontinued because moving forward, the OWP program will now become a regular part of the process that will no longer be renewed from year to year.
I have read that too in one of the Facebook groups

aK24

Oct 16, 2017
That's good to hear! Any indication if this new standard will start as soon as the current pilot program extension ends (i.e. Dec 22, 17)?

louisstilling

Dec 14, 2017
Fingers crossed, we just sent our application for sponsorship along with the OWP, hoping for this to still be active.

By the way, have any of you experienced not getting stamped at the airport? I have had a major issue with this because the officer who received me did not stamp my passport - making it quite a headache to prove your legal status..

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
That's good to hear! Any indication if this new standard will start as soon as the current pilot program extension ends (i.e. Dec 22, 17)?
That seemed to be the implication :)