+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit Please Help :)

funkyskunk

Feb 25, 2012
My Boyfriend is US Citizen and has been offered an animation job for 9 months in Vancouver. (He is considered highly skilled) I am from the UK and live in England, we are currently having a long distance relationship as we are unable to live together. We met when we were both out working in New Zealand.

Since June - i have been to stay with him for 2 months in Sanfrancisco, and he has visited me twice, for a month.

He has mentioned to his employer, that he wishes to bring his gf with him on his visa (me). The employer has said that there would be no problem, they would issue me with an 'open work permit'.

After looking through this site, and on the Canadian immigration website, it looks like we need to prove 'common law partnership' i am concerned that we won't be eligible as we have been unable to live together because of immigration / working laws.

As the employer will be organising the visa, can anyone tell me the liklihood of me being able to gain an 'open work permit' given the circumstances above ? If not, can anyone advise on the best course of action for me to take ?

I am considering moving to Vancouver as a visiter (as i am visa exempt) and trying to gain common law status that way, by moving in wth my boyfriend and acquiring a joint lease, bank accounts etc.

Any help or information that anyone could offer would be really appreciated, as i would really like to make this work. :)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

funkyskunk said:
My Boyfriend is US Citizen and has been offered an animation job for 9 months in Vancouver. (He is considered highly skilled) I am from the UK and live in England, we are currently having a long distance relationship as we are unable to live together. We met when we were both out working in New Zealand.

Since June - i have been to stay with him for 2 months in Sanfrancisco, and he has visited me twice, for a month.

He has mentioned to his employer, that he wishes to bring his gf with him on his visa (me). The employer has said that there would be no problem, they would issue me with an 'open work permit'.

After looking through this site, and on the Canadian immigration website, it looks like we need to prove 'common law partnership' i am concerned that we won't be eligible as we have been unable to live together because of immigration / working laws.

As the employer will be organising the visa, can anyone tell me the liklihood of me being able to gain an 'open work permit' given the circumstances above ? If not, can anyone advise on the best course of action for me to take ?

I am considering moving to Vancouver as a visiter (as i am visa exempt) and trying to gain common law status that way, by moving in wth my boyfriend and acquiring a joint lease, bank accounts etc.

Any help or information that anyone could offer would be really appreciated, as i would really like to make this work. :)
1. As you haven't lived together for 1 year in a "marriage like" arrangement you are not a common/law couple in the eyes of Immigration Canada.
2. So you won't be eligible for a spousal open work permit.
3. You can live together as a visitor, but until you have the year in, there is no spousal open work permit.

funkyskunk

Feb 25, 2012
Thank you for responding to my post. :)

When my boyfriend's company makes arrangements for his temporary work visa, can they include me on the application, as a visitor? (So that they know we are a couple)

Or, is it better to enter the Country by myself, and try to obtain 6 months as a visitor and apply to extend. I had a feeling that it would be unlikely that i would be granted a work permit without us living together first, but are they as strict on allowing someone to live with their partner if they do not intend to work? (provided that there is enough financial support)

I really appreciate any more info that you can offer, as i am trying to make a decision whether to move over there and not work for 12 months (perhaps engage in volunteer roles, unpaid), or remain in England.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
funkyskunk said:
Thank you for responding to my post. :)

When my boyfriend's company makes arrangements for his temporary work visa, can they include me on the application, as a visitor? (So that they know we are a couple)

Or, is it better to enter the Country by myself, and try to obtain 6 months as a visitor and apply to extend. I had a feeling that it would be unlikely that i would be granted a work permit without us living together first, but are they as strict on allowing someone to live with their partner if they do not intend to work? (provided that there is enough financial support)

I really appreciate any more info that you can offer, as i am trying to make a decision whether to move over there and not work for 12 months (perhaps engage in volunteer roles, unpaid), or remain in England.
The employer can't apply for a TRV for you because you don't need a visa to enter Canada. You have to come yourself.