+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit on TRV while waiting for PR in Canada

Dec 13, 2019
Hello everyone,

I am currently in Canada on a multiple entry visitor visa that has been stamped till 2027. Am I eligible to apply for an open work permit since I am already in Canada on a Temporary Resident Visa? While i wait for my PR which I applied for after I landed in Canada.

Any advise and help is greatly appreciated as my initial plan was to obtain a study permit but due to a family emergency I no longer have adequate funds for this. I have limited options and don't actually know how to survive after three months if I don't find a way.

Thank you very much for your advice and help

IRCC mentions that I might be eligible on their website if I have already applied for PR from within Canada and have a Temporary Resident Permit (I have already applied for my PR)

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/eligibility.html

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

I am currently in Canada on a multiple entry visitor visa that has been stamped till 2027. Am I eligible to apply for an open work permit since I am already in Canada on a Temporary Resident Visa? While i wait for my PR which I applied for after I landed in Canada.

Any advise and help is greatly appreciated as my initial plan was to obtain a study permit but due to a family emergency I no longer have adequate funds for this. I have limited options and don't actually know how to survive after three months if I don't find a way.

A TRV does not entitle you to apply for an open work permit. So the answer to your question is no.

How have you applied for PR?

PAINKILLER28

Jan 24, 2018
Hello everyone,

based on the information you provided, no, you are not eligible for an open work permit.a TRV alone is not the ground for any permit.

some category of PR application will make you eligible for an open work permit, we can not suggest anything until we got more information.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dec 13, 2019
This rule applies to TRP visas only. You have a TRV. Again, you don't qualify for an open work permit. There is no confusion. The rules are very clear.
Thank you for your answer. I was under the impression that the TRV is the same as TR-Permit. However, can i still try under point 5 :"you’re waiting on a decision on an application for permanent residence from inside Canada" since i applied for my PR after I landed in Canada and is awaiting a verdict. Thank you again, also sorry if my questions seem redundant and repetitive.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your answer. I was under the impression that the TRV is the same as TR-Permit. However, can i still try under point 5 :"you’re waiting on a decision on an application for permanent residence from inside Canada" since i applied for my PR after I landed in Canada and is awaiting a verdict. Thank you again, also sorry if my questions seem redundant and repetitive.
A TRV and TRP are two completely different visas.

No - you do not qualify under point 5. This only applies to individuals who have applied for PR inland through spousal sponsorship. In order for an Express Entry applicant to qualify for a bridging open work permit, you must already be holding a valid work permit.

Again, you don't meet any of the requirements for an open work permit. There is nothing for you to 'try'. If you apply for an open work permit, you will be refused.