+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit Holder - Bringing wife from India as a visitor

noeldhiraj

Jan 18, 2016
I am on an open work permit until 2021. I am getting married in India in Feb 2019 and would like to bring my wife along with me when I come back to Canada.

I know she will be eligible for an open work permit after our marriage but the processing time for that is between 3-4 months and I don't want to keep her there for that long. I know that she can apply for a visitor visa now before the wedding and once she is here with me in Canada we will be able to apply for her open work permit.

I have a few questions about her visitor's visa:

1. What are some good and legitimate reasons to mention while applying to ensure that her visitor's visa doesn't get rejected?
  2. Upon our entry into Canada as a married couple, should we tell the immigration officer that we are married or, is it better to enter as two seperate individuals?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

noeldhiraj

Jan 18, 2016
DId you not marry yet? If married already did you declare that you are married be4 coming here?
Thanks for responding @singleman. We are not yet married. Our wedding is in Feb 2019. I wanted to apply for her visitor's visa as a single applicant so that she can travel back to Canada with me in Feb 2019 after our wedding and won't have to wait in India for 4 months after the wedding until her work permit is approved. That's why I had those questions. Hope this gives you more context. Please let me know if there is further clarification needed. Thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am on an open work permit until 2021. I am getting married in India in Feb 2019 and would like to bring my wife along with me when I come back to Canada.

I know she will be eligible for an open work permit after our marriage but the processing time for that is between 3-4 months and I don't want to keep her there for that long. I know that she can apply for a visitor visa now before the wedding and once she is here with me in Canada we will be able to apply for her open work permit.

I have a few questions about her visitor's visa:

1. What are some good and legitimate reasons to mention while applying to ensure that her visitor's visa doesn't get rejected?
  2. Upon our entry into Canada as a married couple, should we tell the immigration officer that we are married or, is it better to enter as two seperate individuals?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Post in the Foreign Workers section of the forum. This section is for Canadian citizens and PRs sponsoring their family members.

Reactions: YVR123

noeldhiraj

Jan 18, 2016