+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit Holder - Bringing wife from India as a visitor

noeldhiraj

Jan 18, 2016
I am on an open work permit until 2021. I am getting married in India in February 2019 and would like to bring my wife along with me when I come back to Canada within 2 weeks after the marriage.

I know she will be eligible for an open work permit after our marriage but the processing time for that is between 3-4 months and I don't want to keep her there for that long.

Instead, I was thinking of applying for her visitor's visa as a single applicant so that she can travel back to Canada with me in Feb 2019 after our wedding and won't have to wait in India for 4 months after the wedding until her work permit is approved. Once she is here with me in Canada we will be able to apply for her open work permit.

I have a few questions about her visitor's visa:

1. What are some good and legitimate reasons to mention while applying to ensure that her visitor's visa doesn't get rejected?
  2. Upon our entry into Canada as a married couple, should we tell the immigration officer that we are married or, is it better to enter as two seperate individuals?
Any advice would be much appreciated.